Septic Tank Service

Why are y'all pumping the tank so often? Ours has not needed it in 17 years. Installed 2006. Field lines with filter prior.
Oil, wax and other non digestible materials will get you eventually and it will cost 2-3x as a normal pumping for them to bust that floating layer up and mix it to a pumpable slurry.

We went 10 years before we got ours pumped, and it only needed pumped because the outlet filter plugged. The solid and crust layers were still within normal levels. We check ours about every 5 years.

I have a septic where it's required to be an engineered system basically to prevent the nitrogen from getting in the ground water. It has an air injection pump that runs for 60 min every other hour. Required to have a service contract to get it inspected every 6 months. When the inspection indicates the tank needs to be pumped it gets pumped. I think the service contract is $200/year.and getting it pumped was about $300. Pumping last time is kind of a rip-off because they only pumped out the primary chamber so a list less than 1000 gallons but you pay for the minimum of 1000 gallons anyway.

I got a weird deal. My house has a black tank, with a transfer pump in it.

The tank allows liquids that stay " on top" to be pumped to a water treatment center which is uphill

Property taxes pay for pump support and a cleanout every 18 months the water depart was all over a pump failure, they were onsite and fixed it in an hour.

All I know is us two are darn careful with what goes down there

Water, human output, some TP (corn cob area TP) ,some rinse from cleaning clothes and dishes and ourselves. That's about it.

Even oily pans and such get well wiped and pretty clean before rinsing.

I wonder, bug exoskeletons, hair, skin and stuff. Hard proteins. I wonder how long they break down.

Do you guys flush bacteria type additives? I have heard mostly they don't do much, but some people swear but the stuff.

I get our 1,200 gallon concrete tank pumped every 3 years. Had it done several months ago. $400. I put in 18" manhole covers so they can pump each side squeaky clean. I put Rid-X in every month or so. System is leach line design and is 27 years old.

Scott

All I know is us two are darn careful with what goes down there

Water, human output, some TP (corn cob area TP) ,some rinse from cleaning clothes and dishes and ourselves. That's about it.

Even oily pans and such get well wiped and pretty clean before rinsing.

I wonder, bug exoskeletons, hair, skin and stuff. Hard proteins. I wonder how long they break down.

Do you guys flush bacteria type additives? I have heard mostly they don't do much, but some people swear but the stuff.
I am told the things you add to the septic tank just float the solid sludge. I don't think anything is needed. Look at it this way. How could you possibly keep 1000 gallons of toilet sludge from having all kinds of bacteria multiplying.

Why are y'all pumping the tank so often? Ours has not needed it in 17 years. Installed 2006. Field lines with filter prior.
Do you actually check the scum layer every year to make that assessment?

It honestly depends on size of tank based on bedrooms, number of actual inhabitants in homes and also if you avoid putting anything non degradable down drains.

I do every 4-5 however have 1700 gallon and 5 people in home.

septic-pumping-F161_Page_2-1266x925-6d11eaf2-640w.jpg

Our septic is 16ish years old this year. Never pumped it. Been thinking about doing it, so this thread is somewhat timely.

A couple years ago I noticed that our drain field had a wet spot over top of one of the lines. I dumped some Roebic fix-in-a-bottle in the toilet, as directed by the label, and it fixed it right up.

Our local septic company is called All Star Septic. The used to fly a large flag at end of their driveway for their storage yard that just had their initials on it, but people were offended. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Our septic is 16ish years old this year. Never pumped it. Been thinking about doing it, so this thread is somewhat timely.

A couple years ago I noticed that our drain field had a wet spot over top of one of the lines. I dumped some Roebic fix-in-a-bottle in the toilet, as directed by the label, and it fixed it right up.

Our local septic company is called All Star Septic. The used to fly a large flag at end of their driveway for their storage yard that just had their initials on it, but people were offended. :ROFLMAO:
I would get it pumped. Should your tank fill with sludge and the sludge flow into the leach field then you are screwed. Where I live people with plain septic systems would be required to upgrade to an engineered system. A super lot of expense to save $300.

My tank and field lines are almost 60 years old, so a ticking time bomb. Nothing like a pending $35,000 replacement. I have to go with a sand mound style as the soil does not drain well in my area. In 1965 when the system was installed there was no such percolation test. Every newer house in my area is sand mound or spray system.

Just had mine pumped back in October '23 for $220. 1,000 gallon single compartment concrete tank. I opened the lid before hand and the scum layer was getting thick anyways, despite being careful what goes down there. My township (Montgomery Township) requires us to pump every 3 years, no exceptions. I plan to do mine every 2 years due to the aging system.

My wife and I woke up to our septic backing up during a water softener regen back in Fall 2022. That was nice.

I was able to get the guy to come out first thing, but it was a $400 bill for a an emergency call. $200 normally and I’ll start having them come out every other year. Our tank is either 800 or 1000 gallons.

If you want to live in the country and enjoy the lower cost of it, it's what you got to deal with. Public sewer is mostly limited to towns around here. I for one do not want to live in town.
It’s similar here. We looked for all utilities when we bought this house. It is tough to find 3+ acres here that are not on septic and well but we managed. Now, if we could just get faster internet.

$300-500 every year or three is pretty cheap compared to our sewer service. I’d be curious what the electric costs are for a well pump but I imagine much less than I spend on water.

Back