Warranty issues from lost oil receipts

If you used a credit card the store maybe be able to look up the receipts. If you paid cash you are pretty much screwed. Before the naysayers chime in-the request by the dealership is not unreasonable.
Definitely possible. I can look up transactions by the last 4 digits of a CC at work. It's even easier with a date of purchase and/or purchase total. Hopefully the parts store will do it

How is it a scam? It has been in their documentation since forever and a day it gets reduced on second and subsequent owners.
Sure, but then their marketing is a scam. When you buy VW, Toyota etc. warranty is transferred to the second owner. So obviously, either Hyundai is trying to scam people, or they really don't believe their product (not surprised there).

Sure, but then their marketing is a scam. When you buy VW, Toyota etc. warranty is transferred to the second owner. So obviously, either Hyundai is trying to scam people, or they really don't believe their product (not surprised there).
Toyota has such a short warranty it makes sense they transfer it to second owners.

The remainder of the Hyundai 5/60 for second owners is longer than some new car warranties. It’s not a scam. It’s been this way since like 1998 when they started offering the 10/100 warranty.

Attachments

• C1973778-8204-4093-AF53-95450434CB6C.jpeg
    C1973778-8204-4093-AF53-95450434CB6C.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The scam is buy a new one for a “full warranty“ or buy second hand for half a warranty. UK you get 7 years 100,000 miles last I looked. They are just playing games whick while I’m not a Kia Hyundai basher I wouldn’t ever be buying one. I don’t think it has anything to do with belief in their product just that they are more interested in new car sales than used. Kinda screw the 2nd owner if they won’t buy new mentality

The scam is buy a new one for a “full warranty“ or buy second hand for half a warranty. UK you get 7 years 100,000 miles last I looked. They are just playing games whick while I’m not a Kia Hyundai basher I wouldn’t ever be buying one. I don’t think it has anything to do with belief in their product just that they are more interested in new car sales than used. Kinda screw the 2nd owner if they won’t buy new mentality
They avoid expenses by cutting the warranty. Their sale skyrocketed with a generous warranty, not some uber quality. This is a good way to jump the ship.

Toyota has such a short warranty it makes sense they transfer it to second owners.

The remainder of the Hyundai 5/60 for second owners is longer than some new car warranties. It’s not a scam. It’s been this way since like 1998 when they started offering the 10/100 warranty.

That is irrelevant whether is it longer than others or not. I know how long is Toyota warranty.
It does not make sense. What happens to the car when it gets second owner? Does it degrade in quality depending on owners job, education, race, sex, etc.? Don't understand that "makes sense" part. So I would like to know where does it make sense except that Hyundia is getting rid of responsibility.

Their marketing is for new vehicles and not follow on buyers that they generally have no control of that sale after the fact. Just as Hyundai/Kia discloses in writing the reduce warranty for second owners the same as they do for maintenance expectations and fluid requirements the owner is expect to know and adhere to, some how the general public is a bunch of rubes needing protecting and we have to call it a scam by your definition.

Their marketing is for new vehicles and not follow on buyers that they generally have no control of that sale after the fact. Just as Hyundai/Kia discloses in writing the reduce warranty for second owners the same as they do for maintenance expectations and fluid requirements the owner is expect to know and adhere to, some how the general public is a bunch of rubes needing protecting and we have to call it a scam by your definition.
Of course it is a scam. Again, what changes with vehicle when second owner buys it? Except that Hyundai/Kia probably has data how long first owners keep vehicles and that is their way to ditch responsibility.
VW had 72/72 warranty and they didn’t shorten it with next owner.

If ya can't trace the transactions to a receipt doesn't help ya now but future wise do 2 things...

1.) Buy everything from one store and sign up for the rewards program with your phone number. I buy everything from autozone and tell em my phone number at the register so I can look up everything I have bought regardless if it was a card or cash transaction.

2.) Sign up for mycarfax. You can self report any maintenance you've done yourself and upload receipts. Lot easier to upload a receipt on the spot when ya do something then to try to hunt it down months later especially if under a warranty.

Sounds like they are out to deny. A receipt from Walmart for a jug of oil does not mean the oil was for any specific vehicle you own, or that you every used the jug to change the oil.

Sounds like they are out to deny. A receipt from Walmart for a jug of oil does not mean the oil was for any specific vehicle you own, or that you every used the jug to change the oil.
Dealership should determine what exactly led to failure or eliminate lubrication as cause of failure.

If you have a vehicle with a warranty, always keep the receipts and always keep the service checks in the owners manual up to date.
Just keep the receipts in or with the manual. Can't blame them for wanting to deny the warranty with no proof of anything.
Since the engines are problems, they should offer a super good deal on a new one though.
Just want to add...make copies of those receipts. The receipts from places like AutoZone and Walmart tend to fade after about a year or so...

Dealership should determine what exactly led to failure or eliminate lubrication as cause of failure.
There is also a third party warranty at play...dealer is only going to fight so much with theses type of companies. There are PLENTY OF STORIES how difficult they make it on dealers too. HINT-the busier the dealer the less likely they are going to put up with a third party warranty garbage.

You can always get a sample and have UOA. But that only tells someone that the current oil in the engine is fine. Cannot prove one way or the other that previous 10 oil changes were not using Dollar Store oil that was not SAE rated.

There is also a third party warranty at play...dealer is only going to fight so much with theses type of companies. There are PLENTY OF STORIES how difficult they make it on dealers too. HINT-the busier the dealer the less likely they are going to put up with a third party warranty garbage.
I know that. I was talking about the original question I posted as to why there is no factory warranty.

As far as I know the Hyundai/Kia warranty is the only factory warranty that is altered for the second owner
Nobody forces the potential second owner to buy the used vehicle with a shorter (2nd) warranty. I just looked at a 2018 used Ford pickup with 21,000 miles on it. Your sol with the (Ford) factory warranty @ (3yr/36months). You know it going in...or you should.

Back