Warranty issues from lost oil receipts

Hey hey all! Grateful for all the wisdom here. Needing some right now. I have an extended warranty problem. I mix shop oil changes and do my own, usually all from a time capacity perspective. Two weeks ago my #4 cylinder blew and the warranty company is asking for receipts from when I purchased the oil and oil filters. Naturally, I have no idea where or if I have them. (My fault on poor record keeping). Am I just screwed? Or does anyone have any suggestions on what I might do? Thanks in advance!

Hey hey all! Grateful for all the wisdom here. Needing some right now. I have an extended warranty problem. I mix shop oil changes and do my own, usually all from a time capacity perspective. Two weeks ago my #4 cylinder blew and the warranty company is asking for receipts from when I purchased the oil and oil filters. Naturally, I have no idea where or if I have them. (My fault on poor record keeping). Am I just screwed? Or does anyone have any suggestions on what I might do? Thanks in advance!
What did you mean by #4 cylinder blew? What vehicle and year?

Who determined the cause of the cylinder failure?

Hyundai Santa Fe 2017. The dealership did. It sounded like something in the engine was clanging and then the car shut off. I wasn’t surprised that was the diagnosis.

If you don't have your receipts or at least a log book, I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on for your own oil changes between the dealership changes.

It would definitely behoove you to do everything you can to track down your receipts.

Do you have anything else that could say on x date with y miles, the oil and filter were changed?

Hyundai Santa Fe 2017. The dealership did. It sounded like something in the engine was clanging and then the car shut off. I wasn’t surprised that was the diagnosis.
What did the dealership say it is the cause?
I mean, it does not have to be a lubrication issue. The warranty company will try to find any excuse. Do not give it to them.
Also, where did you buy oil? Credit Card? Check statements. You might get copy of a receipt if you know transaction numbers from your credit card statement.

If you used a credit card the store maybe be able to look up the receipts. If you paid cash you are pretty much screwed. Before the naysayers chime in-the request by the dealership is not unreasonable.

If you used a credit card the store maybe be able to look up the receipts. If you paid cash you are pretty much screwed. Before the naysayers chime in-the request by the dealership is not unreasonable.
Ya I don’t think they are being unreasonable. I get it.

If you don't have your receipts or at least a log book, I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on for your own oil changes between the dealership changes.

It would definitely behoove you to do everything you can to track down your receipts.

Do you have anything else that could say on x date with y miles, the oil and filter were changed?
I have logs. I’m fairly anal on that end but they said they need the receipts

The store could look up the receipts either way, assuming we're not talking about "under the table" cash which he wouldn't get receipts for in the first place. With a credit card you could get totals on the transactions from the bank but it won't detail what you purchased.

What did the dealership say it is the cause?
I mean, it does not have to be a lubrication issue. The warranty company will try to find any excuse. Do not give it to them.
Also, where did you buy oil? Credit Card? Check statements. You might get copy of a receipt if you know transaction numbers from your credit card statement.
I will ask for what they say is the cause. That’s helpful. Thank you

Are you using a 3rd party warranty company? They’ll find any excuse to deny a claim.

But wouldn’t that be covered under Hyundai’s 10 year 100k mile warranty? Some of those Theta II engines have a lifetime warranty from the settlement with Hyundai.

The store could look up the receipts either way, assuming we're not talking about "under the table" cash which he wouldn't get receipts for in the first place. With a credit card you could get totals on the transactions from the bank but it won't detail what you purchased.
Every transaction has a number...it can be looked up that way. Do you own a credit card?

We do cash only for our personal budget system… it’s good in that we stay in budget, but this is where I screwed myself for not having the receipts or not being able to find them

Every transaction has a number...it can be looked up that way. Do you own a credit card?

Of course. I can't physically log into my bank and see what I purchased specifically, it just says the store and the total charged. Maybe the bank can see the details but that seems like a privacy issue maybe.

Are you using a 3rd party warranty company? They’ll find any excuse to deny a claim.

But wouldn’t that be covered under Hyundai’s 10 year 100k mile warranty? Some of those Theta II engines have a lifetime warranty from the settlement with Hyundai.
It’s a 3rd party. We bought it used. Only one year old but still not the original owner

Of course. I can't physically log into my bank and see what I purchased specifically, it just says the store and the total charged. Maybe the bank can see the details but that seems like a privacy issue maybe.
Yea. The point is unlike cash there is a reference number. Of course if the OP paid cash and had a receipt he would have a transaction number.

Back