Walmart Supertech filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
We don't have these up here, however I wonder if any of you guys that use them down there,
might have found out the technical specs on this filter? It seems a lot of guys on the Edmunds
board like this filter.

I like Wallyworld filters. They are made by Champion and have about the same thickness as Mobil 1. They advertise I believe 98/97 % (who knows what particle size). Anyway If I were driving a GM product I would use them as the equivalent of an oversize PF-52. I have cut one apart and they appear well made. I believe they indicate that the element has synthetic fibers.

I don't use them in my Sentra because they do not have an oversize model.

Perhaps you could order from Wallyworld?? they are $1.97

Even though we have Walmart in Canada, they use a different set of suppliers, so all of the inhouse stuff up here is totally different. They wouldn't be able to get those Supertech filters.

They don't even have their own brand up here for oil filters. Their stores only sell Fram or AC Delco. If you get an oil change at Walmart, they use Pennzoil oil and Pennzoil (Fram) filters.

Up here the in house Walmart oil is called Tech 2000, but I am not sure who makes it. They don't give an address, they just say it's supplied to the Walmart head office (which incidentally is 3 miles from my house)

I currently use the AC Delco filters, at $3.16 each they are a bargain. Funny thing is, the GM dealers charge $11 for this identical filter!

I can buy the stock size PureONE for my car for $10.99 up here, but the longer one I prefer costs $15.99. This is at the same speed shop that wants $18.99 a quart for Redline and $30 a quart for Royal Purple!!
shocked.gif

(conversion from CDN $ to US $ is .65 by the way, so $10 CDN equals $6.50 US)

I use SuperTech filters, but think they're exactly the same as all low end Champion Labs stuff-- which is to say pretty good.

Think they're identical to STP available at AutoZone, Champ, Lee, Car & Driver (Target) etc.

What's with Canada and Fram. First Honda brand filters and now this?

Before there was SuperTech oil there was Tech 2000 oil. Maybe they're just dumping old containers in Canada.

Fram is definitely taking over up here!
frown.gif

One of our biggest places for automotive stuff up here is called Canadian Tire. A quick look down their oil filter aisle shows the following oil filters:

K&N performance gold (a recent addition)
Fram extraguard
Fram X2 7000 mile filter
Fram with teflon (doubleguard)
Quaker State (Fram inside)
Motomaster (CT's house brand, which is built by Fram!)
Formula 1 (CT's premium filter, which is simply a Fram Toughguard!)
Bosch regular (a very select few stores have this one though)

So as you can see, there are way too many Fram filters up here.
frown.gif

I wish we had more selection up here, but we don't even have Pepboys or Autozone or anything like that. Canadian Tire is our closest thing to that, but it's an all purpose store, not just automotive, so they don't carry a ton of automotive choices really.
frown.gif

A few years ago when I travelled to the US a lot for the Camaro/Firebird get togethers, I would stockpile all the oil filters I needed (I bought Mobil 1 filters until the Ultraguard Gold came out, then I bought those until production stopped)
frown.gif

[ July 06, 2002, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I've been running them for sometime now, instead of running the Delco PF52s, on my 3.8L.

They seem to hold up nicely, and they fit my steel filter wrench instead of my composite one (so I can take it off easier). The ones I buy are less than $3 and claim to be Synthetic - who knows what they are really - but they seem to work well and when I cut one open it appeared to be of the same quality as any Purolator.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Fram is definitely taking over up here!
frown.gif

One of our biggest places for automotive stuff up here is called Canadian Tire. A quick look down their oil filter aisle shows the following oil filters:

K&N performance gold (a recent addition)
Fram extraguard
Fram X2 7000 mile filter
Fram with teflon (doubleguard)
Quaker State (Fram inside)
Motomaster (CT's house brand, which is built by Fram!)
Formula 1 (CT's premium filter, which is simply a Fram Toughguard!)
Bosch regular (a very select few stores have this one though)

So as you can see, there are way too many Fram filters up here.
frown.gif

I wish we had more selection up here, but we don't even have Pepboys or Autozone or anything like that. Canadian Tire is our closest thing to that, but it's an all purpose store, not just automotive, so they don't carry a ton of automotive choices really.
frown.gif

A few years ago when I travelled to the US a lot for the Camaro/Firebird get togethers, I would stockpile all the oil filters I needed (I bought Mobil 1 filters until the Ultraguard Gold came out, then I bought those until production stopped)
frown.gif

Patman,

If I'm not mistaken, the Canadian Tire "Formula 1" is a rebadged Pure One. At least they were when they first came out. In fact I believe that that part numbers are even identical.

I wish it were a rebadged PureONE, it's on sale this week! (less than $7 CDN too!)

But a friend of mine cut one open and said it's got cardboard endcaps. DING DING DING, Fram!
frown.gif

Plus I emailed Fram and they confirmed the Formula 1 is a Fram Toughguard.
frown.gif

I stand corrected Patman. I compared the two when the Formula 1 first came out and thought they were the same filter. They both had PTFE gaskets and identical construction. Maybe they've switched suppliers or I could be wrong (gasp!).
pat.gif
Anyway thanks for the heads up and I'll be sure to avoid these.

"A few years ago when I travelled to the US a lot for the Camaro/Firebird get togethers, I would stockpile all the oil filters I needed (I bought Mobil 1 filters until the Ultraguard Gold came out, then I bought those until production stopped)"

I've been asked if I had firewood and automatic weapons when I crossed the border, but never oil filters.
nono.gif

Dom- Supertech has an equivalent # for PF-52 if thats what you are asking??

Patman: I'd be more than happy to send you some SuperTech Filters if you want some. Email me.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Dom- Supertech has an equivalent # for PF-52 if thats what you are asking??

Patman: I'd be more than happy to send you some SuperTech Filters if you want some. Email me.

Yeah the supertech filter number in PF52 size is the same as the one for FRAM...

Thanks for the offer Al, but I'm ok with the AC Delco filters I am getting now. If for some reason Walmart stops selling them up here (like they have done in the US) then I'll take you up on your offer. They sound like a great bargain filter for the money.

I was in CT this morning and opened up a Formula 1 box, and staring me right in the face was that cardboard endcap! FRAM!
frown.gif

I wish they would change suppliers, that would really make my day!

So what's the consensus? Are those better then PF52? Do they also have an extended version? I kinda like my extra long PF52. More oil in the engine and more filter media.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I was in CT this morning and opened up a Formula 1 box, and staring me right in the face was that cardboard endcap! FRAM!
frown.gif

I wish they would change suppliers, that would really make my day!

Patman, I had a bunch of old filters behind my shop and one of them happpened to be a Formula 1. I cut it open and sure enough... card board end cap. Definitely garbage Fram. Also opened up a standard Fram, Motorcraft, Pure One and Amsoil. Interesting note...I had alway heard that the Motorcrafts were made by Purolator and that is indeed the case. The Pure One and Ford filter have identical internal construction, although I can't confirm that the media material is the same on both.

well you Canadians may have a poor selection of oil filters to choose from at Wally-World but....at least you have a better motor oil selection overall. My wife and I recently visited her mother and friends in Detroit (Blech! I hate that place-no offence anyone-okay? just IMHO)and we went up to Sarnia for the day. Boy i LOVE that place!! The people are so NICE!!! Anyways....

I shouldve picked up some Esso Ultron while I was up there.

Patman,

It's very easy to pick out the Formula 1 filters as Fram since it carries an almost identical part number to its regular filter line-up. As for other filter selections, you might want to try UAP NAPA. They sell Wix filters which is made by Dana corporation. I believe it's marketed as NAPA Silver and NAPA Gold Premium. The premium is around $8CAN plus taxes. I've never seen a NAPA store in Mississauga, but I know there is one in Etobicoke (north of Islington & Queensway).

If you know of any other store that carries AC Delco, please let me know. Our WalMart here doesn't carry a wide variety of AC Delco filters. Thanks.

Regards,

Oz

Also,

I'm pretty sure you already know, but just to be sure. FYI, WalMart Square One carries Purolator PureOne and PremiumPlus filters as well.

Regards,

Oz

I didn't know that the Walmart at Square One carried those filters! Awesome! How much are they there? I just bought a couple of Premium Plus filters this weekend from Home Hardware, but it doesn't appear like they replenish their stock, and I got the last two filters in the sizes I want for my two cars.

There is a UAP store not too far from me, in Brampton. I've bought a few things from them in the past. I am not sure on the Wix Gold filters though, I have heard they aren't any better than the regular Wix filters, which I believe are pretty much the same as the AC Delcos anyways, since the CDN AC Delcos are made by Dana in Cambridge (same maker as Wix)

If you're looking for another source for AC Delco stuff, check out the CDN AC Delco website (which I think is www.acdelco.ca) and do a search for local dealers. Their price on filters will be higher than Walmart though. Even the GM dealers are too pricey, the same filter that is $3 at Walmart is $11 at the dealer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back