Figuring out whether a filter fits on a 2002 Toyota Corolla

I have a basket of filters for Toyotas, and I noticed that the Supertech 4386 is listed as a perfect fit on some sites for this model (Rockauto) and not on others (Walmart, and even briefly on a BITOG thread from several years ago).

I checked the specs from all the sites I could find. The diameter of the filter is correct. But that doesn't mean the gasket is in the exact same spot. I can't seem to find all the measurements. I used a Baldwin LF410 for comparison since I have used that on other Corollas with this engine, but I can't get all the specs for the two filters.

If anyone has used this filter on a VVTi engine that would be a great help. Any conclusive evidence is sorely needed. I have too many of these filters and optimally I would like the next owner of this Corolla walk away with a bunch of filters they can use. Thanks.

Typically the Toyota block has a wide machined spot, wider than the filter gasket, and will take a variety of 3/4-16 filters with 8-11 PSI bypasses. I've run 3614s which are slightly oversized on Corollas, Camrys, and Prii that take the "smaller" 4967.

Wixfilters.com has a cross reference thing that shows gasket innie and outie diameters.

Really, get in there and test fit it, you need to assure yourself, probably won't trust a bunch of internet wierdos anyway.

I have a basket of filters for Toyotas, and I noticed that the Supertech 4386 is listed as a perfect fit on some sites for this model (Rockauto) and not on others (Walmart, and even briefly on a BITOG thread from several years ago).

I checked the specs from all the sites I could find. The diameter of the filter is correct. But that doesn't mean the gasket is in the exact same spot. I can't seem to find all the measurements. I used a Baldwin LF410 for comparison since I have used that on other Corollas with this engine, but I can't get all the specs for the two filters.

If anyone has used this filter on a VVTi engine that would be a great help. Any conclusive evidence is sorely needed. I have too many of these filters and optimally I would like the next owner of this Corolla walk away with a bunch of filters they can use. Thanks.
Seeing the 3 Corolla’s in my sig, I can confirm that the 4386 does fit with no issues. You can actually go up to the 3600 without issues.

Seeing the 3 Corolla’s in my sig, I can confirm that the 4386 does fit with no issues. You can actually go up to the 3600 without issues.
Thank you very much! I want to give my son a bit more training with a stickshift and I figured the Corolla would be one of the more forgiving cars out there. It already had the clutch replaced about 60k miles and the way this one's designed, it forces the patient to be methodical and precise.

All the best and thanks again for your help.

I assume by "methodical and precise" you are referring to the shift lever movements (???) My Matrix was this way until I replaced the stock rubber bushings with solid units. It now shifts much more easily and the driver no longer needs to finesse the shifter between gears.

Exactly which oil filters in a basket of filters do you have that you don't know if they fit your 2002 Corolla or not? Wasn't real clear to me.

Since they got rid of 4386 I have run the 3614 and 3600 (just a bit longer than the 3614) on my 2007 Camry with the 2AZ-FE. Roll with either of those as long as the 3600 doesn't extend down past the oil pan.

Back