Walmart Rotella 15W40 in my turbo Talon

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm tired of my car beating the snot out of every oil I put in there; Mobile 1, Supertech Syn, Castrol Syn.

Basically when I change my oil, it will be fine for about the first month to six weeks, it uses about 1 quart. Then after that, it uses alot more, and I have to really whatch it close.

The car is a 1991 Eagle Talon AWD with the turbocharged dual overhead cam 4g63 engine. It was rebuilt but I don't know exactly when or how many miles ago. This is my replacement engine for the 93 that went south.

Anyway, it's been rebuilt but who knows to what specs.

Like I said it seems to be pretty hard on oils. I usually run 10W30 year round, I was mostly running Wally Synth, I tried Mobile 1 (that stuff burns really fast in my enegine), and I tried Castrol Syntec; all 10W30 like I says.

Anyways, I just changed my oil and I am running the Walmart 15W40 Universal oil, which is basically a walmart version of delo or rotella.

Anyone else running this stuff in a gas engine?

Trying to find an oil that will last more then 2 months.

Yeah I do rev the heck out of it sometimes.

In order of price, volatilty, and shear resistance.

1. Mobil 1 TDT Turbodiesel Truck 5W-40 (basically Delvac 1)

2. Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40

3. Chevron Delo 400 15W-40

I seem to remember two versions of WalMart 15W-40 one is HDEO and one is PCMO.
If you got the HDEO it should carry a CI4+ rating on the bottle/jug.

I have an Integra GSR 96'. I use the Rotella 5w40 from walmart and burn 1qt per 1k miles like clock work. This is supposedly acceptable, but I don't accept it especially when the engine doesn't leak a drop of oil externally. Recently, I spoke to an employee at a local speed shop about my GSR and he said he has the same car, but turbocharged. He said that he had some oil woes, but switched to Royal Purple 15W40 and the issues are now gone. 9K + revs and all that mumbo jumbo. Might be worth a try, but my concern would be your cold starts and what kind of protection you will have there. Good will hunting.
ooo.gif

Quote:

I have an Integra GSR 96'. I use the Rotella 5w40 from walmart and burn 1qt per 1k miles like clock work. This is supposedly acceptable, but I don't accept it especially when the engine doesn't leak a drop of oil externally. Recently, I spoke to an employee at a local speed shop about my GSR and he said he has the same car, but turbocharged. He said that he had some oil woes, but switched to Royal Purple 15W40 and the issues are now gone. 9K + revs and all that mumbo jumbo. Might be worth a try, but my concern would be your cold starts and what kind of protection you will have there. Good will hunting.
ooo.gif

Why don't you try 10Weight if you are burning that much? I mean it is a 96, has quite a few miles on it?

elsmacko,

You sure you didn't mean to put 30Weight instead of 10Weight up there?
Running 10Weight 'cuz your car burns a whole lot of oil is not exactly orthodox, but if you've got real good arguments as to why it should be done, I assure you BITOG is all ears.

Are you running Shell Rotella T 15w40, or Wal-Mart's SuperTech 15w40?

I'm using Rotella T in my Harley.

Quote:

elsmacko,

You sure you didn't mean to put 30Weight instead of 10Weight up there?
Running 10Weight 'cuz your car burns a whole lot of oil is not exactly orthodox, but if you've got real good arguments as to why it should be done, I assure you BITOG is all ears.

Yeah I was asking why not 10w30

I'm using the Walmart stuff.

Now I'm wondering if it meets the specs for my car..

elsmacko the list of HDEO I gave should burn the least oil in that order. ie Delvac 1 (Mobil 1 TDT Group IV/V Basestock), Shell Rotella T Synthetic (Group III), and then Chevron Delo 400 (Group II+) and they all carry a CI-4+/SL rating unless they are very recent production amd then may be CJ-4/SM. The primary driver of the newest ratings is to reduce additive levels in these oils for longer catalyst and particulate trap life. The CI-4+/CH-4 is a Diesel Rating and the SL/SM are gasoline ratings.

The issue with the SuperTech is if it may not have as a high quality basestock. It could be all Group I (SL only) or 70% Group II / 30% Group I (CI-4). In this case the engine will likely consume more than the oils I listed.

The 40 weight HDEO is the way to go if your trying to reduce consumption. It often reduces consumption in Saturns which are well known for oil consumption from 1 qt per 1500 mi (PCMO 5W-30) to 1 Qt per 4500 mi (HDEO 15W-40).

elsmacko, you do understand that the "W" rating only represent an oils performance in Cold Cranking and and Pumping
test performance correct?

It has little to do with a oils operating viscosity at the rings and valve seals of running engine. What you are looking for is an oil with high 100*C Viscosity and HT/HS 150*C numbers.

A Group III Synthetic 10W-30 with 10.0 cSt Visc @ 100*C and 3.0 HT/HS is almost guaranteed to burn off more than a Group IV/V Synthetic 5W-40 with 14.5 cSt and 4.3 HT/HS.

Maybe try the newest non-syn Shell Rotella T Multigrade? The new 10W-30 is SM/SL/SJ (gas or diesel) rated with visc at 100C of 12.1. It's CJ-4 for the newest deposit controls, and $9.47/gallon at Walmart. Check out great website on its improvements over "old" Rotella (search: Shell Rotella T Multigrade). Of course, you could use the 15W-40 version, same stuff.

Silly question but have you tried using arx or LC20? You could always try Syntec 5W50 if you want thick oil....

Quote:

ooo.gif

Maybe it will work. But 1 qt of oil consumption per 1,000 miles is acceptable. Anyone else that tell you that it is excessive is ignorant. That is my 2 cents.

1 qt. per 1,000 miles? Lol, I'd have to add a quart a week. And no, mine is not being replaced with fuel/water volume per the results of oil analysis.

What's your definition of unacceptable, Dave? lol

What's magical about that number? It's completely related to the engine and driving style...Wouldn't you say?

Brain what is wrong with a qt every 1,000 miles? 99 percent of auto makers and engine builders will tell you that is normal. Also there is some benefit with an engine consuming a qt every so often. When someone post well there is something wrong with my oil. B/C it consumes a qt of oil every 1,000 miles or so. Without doing any studying is just ignorant. Is the PCV system in good order? Does your engine need a valve job? Do you have an stuck ring? Is your engine a know consumer? Does it burn oil? Is there a bad seal? Have you tried auto-rx? Are you using a new brand of oil? Has your brand of oil undergone a recent reformulation? Have you changed your driving habits? These are a few questions that you should ask before you blame and oil for consumption. Another thing I would ask what is your UOA telling you?

Had the same problem with my talon and switched to Penzoil Platnuim 10/30 and now the consumption is gone. I had consumption problems even with 500 miles on the motor with other syntetics. Was real weird no smoke out the tail pipe clear as day but the oil would just dissapere?
You will consume more oil the higher you rev it from what I have seen.
You may also want to try castrol syntec 0/30 its a heavy 30 wt oil and should help you out but may get some lag from being a little heavyer. I would not go to a 15/XX unless your already in a warm climate year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back