VW to pay each U.S. customer $5,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buyback?

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/21/news/companies/volkswagen-owner-compensation/index.html

Quote:
Volkswagen has reached deal to repurchase or fix nearly 500,000 diesel cars that cheat on emission tests, giving car owners the choice of what to do.

No matter what they choose, owners will also receive "substantial" cash compensation for their trouble.

Federal Judge Charles Breyer ordered the automaker not to disclose how much money owners will receive while final terms of the deal are being hammered out, but there are widespread reports that the sum is $5,000.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I've owned many (~7 - glutton for punishment) Volkswagens, this is my first Toyota. Yes the vault-like doors, driving dynamics and initial premium interior (all of mine had premature console rubber coating pealing issues) work in the VDubs favor - initially. But my experience is that all of this gets old once the problems start, and at least in my experience, they always did. None of my issues were maintenance items.

*Again, my last Volkswagen was a 2004 GTi VR6. Nothing contemporary.

You must have had incredibly bad luck. I've had a 2002 Passat which I had for 5 years with no problems. Traded it in for an 07 Passat which I still have. Nine years later, the interior still looks brand new after a detail. Driving dynamics are so good that I still haven't found a midsize sedan that is compelling enough replacement. And I rent a lot of cars.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
I've owned many (~7 - glutton for punishment) Volkswagens, this is my first Toyota. Yes the vault-like doors, driving dynamics and initial premium interior (all of mine had premature console rubber coating pealing issues) work in the VDubs favor - initially. But my experience is that all of this gets old once the problems start, and at least in my experience, they always did. None of my issues were maintenance items.

You must have had incredibly bad luck. I've had a 2002 Passat which I had for 5 years with no problems. Traded it in for an 07 Passat which I still have. Nine years later, the interior still looks brand new after a detail. Driving dynamics are so good that I still haven't found a midsize sedan that is compelling enough replacement. And I rent a lot of cars.

Maybe you just have good luck?

Must have been. Between multiple MAF sensors, crashing power windows, continuous rear main seal leaks, 2nd gear synchro replacements and worst of all, electrical issues...lots of bad luck.

The only VAG products that were reliable were an 8v "GTI" and a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T fwd.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Maybe you just have good luck?

Possible. But car problems have become a low probably event. According to reliabilityindex.com the average time off the road for repair in my Passat is 2.21 hours in five years of ownership.

I'd say cars performing well even in the less reliable makes is the rule rather than exception.

Must have been. Between multiple MAF sensors, crashing power windows, continuous rear main seal leaks, 2nd gear synchro replacements and worst of all, electrical issues...lots of bad luck.

The only VAG products that were reliable were an 8v "GTI" and a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T fwd.

I do remember there was a period of time when the Mexican produced VW models had some systemic issues along the lines of what you describe. Did you own any of those? I think the A4 and GTI were German?

I do remember there was a period of time when the Mexican produced VW models had some systemic issues along the lines of what you describe. Did you own any of those? I think the A4 and GTI were German?

That's what i attribute it to as well. Most of my cars were made in the Puebla plant except for the Corrado G60 and (if i recall) the 24v VR6 GTi. The 8v GTi was Puebla made.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I would rather have a Camry SE than any VW in their entire lineup.
I agree.

People always talk about how wonderful it is to drive a German car because they "handle nice" and "are quiet" and other ridiculous things.

I personally think life is to short to be driving a piece of junk that's in the shop all the time.

I'd rather have a nice, basic, point A to B car and have a wallet with money inside!

I agree.

People always talk about how wonderful it is to drive a German car because they "handle nice" and "are quiet" and other ridiculous things.

I personally think life is to short to be driving a piece of junk that's in the shop all the time.

I'd rather have a nice, basic, point A to B car and have a wallet with money inside!

I know it must be hard for you to see any other viewpoint but your own, but some people would say life is too short to be bored daily so that they can avoid an average about one to two unanticipated trips to the repair shop.

I mean why do you drive with your intense focus on low probability events? I mean you might wreck or something.

I think they'll have to do some mechanical stuff to the cars such as DEF or something, I don't know. I doubt it'll just be a simple flash, and who knows if you'd be able to reflash it back to how it was.

Even if you could, then it probably won't pass emissions. 1996 and newer gas cars here just get a simple scan to see if there's any check engine lights.

All diesel cars here (including my previous TDI) have to be put on the "dyno" machine thing and the exhaust sniffed for pollutants.

I'd let VW fix it to get the $5,000 and then drive straight over to a Toyota dealer and trade it in.

Part of the fix should include locking the ECM and they should go after the tuning software companies like they did to the tuners who were deleting truck emissions.

I agree.

I know it must be hard for you to see any other viewpoint but your own, but some people would say life is too short to be bored daily so that they can avoid an average about one to two unanticipated trips to the repair shop.

I mean why do you drive with your intense focus on low probability events? I mean you might wreck or something.

Dude...he owned one! It was a total pile, a neverending string of expensive problems.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I think they'll have to do some mechanical stuff to the cars such as DEF or something, I don't know. I doubt it'll just be a simple flash, and who knows if you'd be able to reflash it back to how it was.

Even if you could, then it probably won't pass emissions. 1996 and newer gas cars here just get a simple scan to see if there's any check engine lights.

All diesel cars here (including my previous TDI) have to be put on the "dyno" machine thing and the exhaust sniffed for pollutants.

I'd let VW fix it to get the $5,000 and then drive straight over to a Toyota dealer and trade it in.

Part of the fix should include locking the ECM and they should go after the tuning software companies like they did to the tuners who were deleting truck emissions.

Go for it...I expect an ECM is available at any salvage yard or on eBay. The tuning companies simply need to incorporate offshore.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I agree.

Dude...he owned one! It was a total pile, a neverending string of expensive problems.

Well, his post is not only about reliability. It's also saying people who appreciate driving dynamics and fun to drive are ridiculous. To car enthusiasts, these things matter. How about he post his hobbies and let people decide whether they are ridiculous. I don't know of many hobbies that are "practical" or useful.

And for the record, I own a Toyota. Owned three of them since 2001 so I am not here trying to be some fanboy for VW. As a matter of fact, two of my Toyotas basically had to be scrapped for catastrophic engine failures. I still bought another Toyota. Why? Because I attribute these low probability events to bad luck rather than hold a lifetime grudge.

Someone who takes $5k from VW, gets the fix and then reverses it (by whatever means) and keeps the money is a fraud and a scum bag. Do we not have any morals anymore?

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Someone who takes $5k from VW, gets the fix and then reverses it (by whatever means) and keeps the money is a fraud and a scum bag. Do we not have any morals anymore?

The ECM thing isn't even plausible. And I agree with your statement that somebody who takes the five grand and manipulates his ECM or buys one from a junk yard is a [censored]. However, the average owner out there isn't going to do this. It's too much trouble and they don't know what they are doing. And you can bet some will have different software versions and codes will be thrown. I was on a newspaper site that had the story of the "buyback/settlement" and all the owners were saying how their cars were now worthless. They talked liked their cars were up on blocks in their driveways. The truth of the matter is if the average owner fully depreciates his VW-and takes the five grand he will be ahead of the game.

Last edited:
Only the government could come up with such an expensive and convoluted 'solution'.
They should have granted VW a one time wavier and moved on. With a 100% assurance that with the 2017 model all would comply.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Only the government could come up with such an expensive and convoluted 'solution'.
They should have granted VW a one time wavier and moved on. With a 100% assurance that with the 2017 model all would comply.

Please tell us why VW should get by with a little hand slap for INTENTIONALLY cheating the system? Why would they deserve this?

This was INTENTIONAL!

Last edited:
Final deal wasn't reached yet, $5000 payment to each owner is not correct.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-judge-vw-owners-option-152918908.html

The cheating software was developed by Audi in 1999. It is very clear that VW/Audi intentionally violates the emission laws of every country in the world.

Originally Posted By: auto.ndtv.com
In yet another surprising revelation related to Volkswagen diesel emission scandal, Audi has reportedly confessed that it created Diselgate - the diesel emissions tests cheating software that its parent company used in its cars. The Ingolstadt-based luxury carmaker told German newspaper Handelsblatt that it had built the so-called defeat devices which cut emissions back in 1999, years before Volkswagen used them to cheat diesel emissions tests.

Originally Posted By: auto.ndtv.com
It has been reported that although engineers at Audi developed the software, which was capable of turning off certain engine functions in 1999, it was never used by the VW luxury division. Around 2005, Volkswagen engineers at the firm's Wolfsburg headquarters, were getting a hard time to come out with a solution to bring down nitrogen oxide emissions below legal thresholds. This is when the firm started to install the software developed by Audi in 1999

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/audi-admits-it...in-1999-1397502

I agree.

I hate toyota for the smug jerkoffs that drive them, much rather have a VW myself. They actually have something to be proud about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back