VW to pay each U.S. customer $5,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'd barf if I had to drive a Civic or a Corolla.

The only vw worth considering are GTI and Golf sportwagen. The balance of the VW models are simply outclassed by nearly every other car maker.

IMO, $5000 plus 'fixing' the vehicle is more than fair compensation.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: philipp10
"and after lawyers fees are deducted, each customer will be left with a voucher for a free tank of diesel fuel"

That sounds about right.

There are no lawyer involved in this deal. VW reached an agreement with EPA and CARB(if this report is correct) therefore VW will pay to each owner $5,000 either directly or through a third party. May be through the person who handled the compensations for 9/11 victims.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

The only vw worth considering are GTI and Golf sportwagen. The balance of the VW models are simply outclassed by nearly every other car maker.

No they aren't actually. The Golf is still a better car than the new Civic if you look at the entire package, and the Passat still competes closely with the Accord, and the reliability of the Passat is actually a bit better than the Accord.

crackmeup2.gif

If the settlement actually goes through this way, some TDI owners will have made out like bandits.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: madRiver

No they aren't actually. The Golf is still a better car than the new Civic if you look at the entire package, and the Passat still competes closely with the Accord, and the reliability of the Passat is actually a bit better than the Accord.

Are you on LSD?

Aside from fanboyism, it really depends on priorities. I've owned both Toyotas and VWs continuously over the last 10 years. I'll tell what the differences are based on my experience:

1. VWs are not robust to sloppy maintenance. Use the wrong oil and wrong intervals and it will likely cause premature problems (e.g. sludging in early 1.8T's, cam follower wear, etc). With a Toyota, a quicklube place will keep it running fine.

2. Given that you maintain a VW properly, it rarely has issues. I've had more unanticipated visits to the shop for my Toyotas than VWs. But the key here is proper maintenance of the VW. You have to do more research on how to properly keep it going strong.

3. The VWs just feel more premium. Close the doors and they feel like vaults. Close the Toyota doors, they feel like tin cans. The interiors are probably a generation ahead in the VWs.

4. When I take long road trips, I get excited when I drive the VW. Not so much with the Toyota. It's more like "what time are we going to get there?".

5. Which I would prefer to own depends also on where I live. Right now, I live in an area with very few twisty roads and my commute isn't very long. I also don't have a good VW dealer or indy shop nearby. So give me the Toyota. But if I lived in an area with good driving roads, it would change the equation.

So it just boils down to priorities.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Aside from fanboyism, it really depends on priorities. I've owned both Toyotas and VWs continuously over the last 10 years. I'll tell what the differences are based on my experience:

1. VWs are not robust to sloppy maintenance. Use the wrong oil and wrong intervals and it will likely cause premature problems (e.g. sludging in early 1.8T's, cam follower wear, etc). With a Toyota, a quicklube place will keep it running fine.

2. Given that you maintain a VW properly, it rarely has issues. I've had more unanticipated visits to the shop for my Toyotas than VWs. But the key here is proper maintenance of the VW. You have to do more research on how to properly keep it going strong.

3. The VWs just feel more premium. Close the doors and they feel like vaults. Close the Toyota doors, they feel like tin cans. The interiors are probably a generation ahead in the VWs.

4. When I take long road trips, I get excited when I drive the VW. Not so much with the Toyota. It's more like "what time are we going to get there?".

5. Which I would prefer to own depends also on where I live. Right now, I live in an area with very few twisty roads and my commute isn't very long. I also don't have a good VW dealer or indy shop nearby. So give me the Toyota. But if I lived in an area with good driving roads, it would change the equation.

So it just boils down to priorities.

I agree with all points. :thumbup:

I've owned many (~7 - glutton for punishment) Volkswagens, this is my first Toyota. Yes the vault-like doors, driving dynamics and initial premium interior (all of mine had premature console rubber coating pealing issues) work in the VDubs favor - initially. But my experience is that all of this gets old once the problems start, and at least in my experience, they always did. None of my issues were maintenance items.

*Again, my last Volkswagen was a 2004 GTi VR6. Nothing contemporary.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Did they specify what that 'fixing' will entail and what impact it'll have on the vehicle's performance and fuel economy? Depending on the answers, the $5K may or may not be fair, IMO.

Also, this $5K offer only applies to the 2.0 engines. I believe no settlement has yet been reached on the 3.0 TDI engines. Wonder if owners of 3.0 TDI Audis will be offered more.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: wemay

Did they specify what that 'fixing' will entail and what impact it'll have on the vehicle's performance and fuel economy? Depending on the answers, the $5K may or may not be fair, IMO.

Also, this $5K offer only applies to the 2.0 engines. I believe no settlement has yet been reached on the 3.0 TDI engines. Wonder if owners of 3.0 TDI Audis will be offered more.

I think it is still a very fluid situation. This morning the BBC reported that it was $5000 and a fix of all vehicles sold with the cheat device in the U.S. OR a buy back of the cars.

$5k is very fair. They are paying you $5,000 because your car performs better, lasts longer and has better MPG than if they did not cheat. If you are so environmentally self conscious that you are not happy with this settlement, please, sell your TDI. There are lots of people wanting to buy them.

As far as the comments about Passat Vs Accord, IMO, the Accord is better. Its just a dependable All Motor large sedan that is perfect for my wife and kid and all their junk in the trunk. The Passats are turbo and higher maintenance. If they had a Passat Wagon i would reverse my position and favor the Passat just for the space. Jetta is merely average, all the MK7 Golfs are awesome, Tiguan was pretty bad for me at least.

Originally Posted By: dareo
$5k is very fair. They are paying you $5,000 because your car performs better, lasts longer and has better MPG than if they did not cheat.

They way I understood it, the plan is that they will only give you the $5K IF you agree to have the vehicle 'fixed' by them. And we don't know what that 'fixing' will do to the performance and fuel economy of your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Who cares? Save the current ECM tune, and put it back after the "fix".

If the fix is as simple as ECM flash, then I would spend a fraction of that $5K on purchasing an aftermarket stage 1 ECM tune from APR or one of the others.

Talked to an affected coworker, and he thought there was an AdBlue system that to be added. Didn't make sense to me, but I'm not exactly following either--not impacted, not worried.

But I thought the problem was a simple bit of code? It detects that it is being tested for emissions, so it runs a different map. Remove that bit and it should be EPA-compliant. Of course, mpg and performance drop. So compensate the owner some cash. Seems simple to me.

Spending a few hundred afterwards for a better tune makes perfect sense to me.

Same conversation had me wondering if this will (partially) restore the cars value. They must have dropped due to this issue, but now, with $5k on the hood, perhaps they will rebound. Too early to tell, of course.

I think they'll have to do some mechanical stuff to the cars such as DEF or something, I don't know. I doubt it'll just be a simple flash, and who knows if you'd be able to reflash it back to how it was.

Even if you could, then it probably won't pass emissions. 1996 and newer gas cars here just get a simple scan to see if there's any check engine lights.

All diesel cars here (including my previous TDI) have to be put on the "dyno" machine thing and the exhaust sniffed for pollutants.

I'd let VW fix it to get the $5,000 and then drive straight over to a Toyota dealer and trade it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back