VW 508.00 0w-20 Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a pre-owned 2018 VW Passat with the 2.0 turbo engine and 3600 miles over the weekend, and I really like the car so far. One of the big draws for me is the transferable 6 year/72,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I purchased the car from a Toyota dealership, and they did the oil change on the vehicle, dumping the factory fill. The car has a 10,000 mile OCI, but I like to be a little conservative and will usually do a 5,000 mile OCI on my cars. So as I'm researching the oil and filter requirements, I find that the 2018 Passat's require oil meeting the VW 508 00 standard. This oil is extremely difficult to find, and it appears to have a UV dye as part of the spec so VW can verify the oil for any warranty claims. Has anyone found a good source for meeting this specification? Should I immediately change out the Toyota oil and get the 508 in there? I'm a little irritated that VW has made it so difficult to find quality oil, and part of me would like to just go with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, but I hate to jeopardize my warranty. Any thoughts?

Must have been a BITOGer who traded that bad boy in, VW and turbo in the same sentence! To a Toyota dealer no less!
lol.gif

For sure get that probable bulk junk 5W20 out of there, I'm shocked they would dump the oil without the correct replacement. Just get it from the dealership until something suitable comes up, or run Edge 0W40 until then.

Originally Posted by jfatula98
I picked up a pre-owned 2018 VW Passat with the 2.0 turbo engine and 3600 miles over the weekend, and I really like the car so far. One of the big draws for me is the transferable 6 year/72,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I purchased the car from a Toyota dealership, and they did the oil change on the vehicle, dumping the factory fill. The car has a 10,000 mile OCI, but I like to be a little conservative and will usually do a 5,000 mile OCI on my cars. So as I'm researching the oil and filter requirements, I find that the 2018 Passat's require oil meeting the VW 508 00 standard. This oil is extremely difficult to find, and it appears to have a UV dye as part of the spec so VW can verify the oil for any warranty claims. Has anyone found a good source for meeting this specification? Should I immediately change out the Toyota oil and get the 508 in there? I'm a little irritated that VW has made it so difficult to find quality oil, and part of me would like to just go with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, but I hate to jeopardize my warranty. Any thoughts?

VW 50800 is a Long Life oil (with OCI up to 20,000 miles for cars with oil monitor,and your car should have one ), and available only in 0W20 grades as part of FE specification.
For VW 50800 cars, one has the option for non-FE versions in VW 50400, which isn't spec'ed for 0W20 but available in only 5W30 mid saps oil.
VW 50400 is also a Long Life oil that could be used in conjunction with oil monitor for extended OCI up to 20,000 miles.
You'd fixed an OCI of 5000 or 10,000 miles and this car doesn't quite require a Long Life oils in FE VW 50800 or non-FE VW 50400 per se.
Fixed term OCI oil specifications is available in VW 50200 which comes in 0/5W30 and 0/5/10W40 grades.
IMHO, you should change out the non-VW spec'ed Toyota oil to one with any VW specifications above.

Last edited:

Agreed its frustrating this oil isn't readily available besides the dealership or tuner shops. I also heard the dye is simply there for identification for the tech to make sure they are pouring in the right oil. I can say when I looked at this oil in my wife's 2018 S4 it looked like regular oil with no hint of dye to it.

Originally Posted by zeng

VW 50800 is a Long Life oil (with OCI up to 20,000 miles for cars with oil monitor,and your car should have one ), and available only in 0W20 grades as part of FE specification.
For VW 50800 cars, one has the option for non-FE versions in VW 50400, which isn't spec'ed for 0W20 but available in only 5W30 mid saps oil.
VW 50400 is also a Long Life oil that could be used in conjunction with oil monitor for extended OCI up to 20,000 miles.
You'd fixed an OCI of 5000 or 10,000 miles and this car doesn't quite require a Long Life oils in FE VW 50800 or non-FE VW 50400 per se.
Fixed term OCI oil specifications is available in VW 50200 which comes in 0/5W30 and 0/5/10W40 grades.
IMHO, you should change out the non-VW spec'ed Toyota oil to one with any VW specifications above.

I have not heard of VW authorizing the use of 504. Can you site where you saw this? I'm sure its 100% fine but for warranty reasons I would have to stick with the 508. There have been several popped motors between the S4/S5/SQ5 line so I don't want to take any chances until we can isolate the reasoning for these failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back