VW 508 Spec 0w20 Updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BrandonT
My dealer uses the right oil.

I know this is not my thread, but can I ask that we drop the viscosity argument? I don't much care for 0W20 either but most people simply shouldn't take the economic risk on fairly expensive cars by not using what the manufacturer specs and get denied a warranty claim. So within that requirement, we would just like to know what the best oil is? Does anyone know much about the add packs of Ineo or LiquiMoly?

Agreed. My post was what makes 508 spec different from our top tier API oil?
Kendall is blowing it on their oil finder app.

https://www.europaparts.com/motul-specific-508-00-509-00-0w20-engine-oil-5-liter.html

At this cost the dealer service looks cheap
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dedonderosa
The new style engine that requires 0w20 uses a new oil pump design and a has 22 teeth gears vs 24 teeth for higher ratio and faster build up of oil pressure

Other gear dimendions remain equal, it drops volumetric flowrate, saving several watts in oil pumping for imperceptible FE.
It wouldn't necessary build up oil pressure faster, instead it takes a longer time ....
This has no relation to suitability of oil viscosity grades for this gear pump design.

VW says the new BUDACK cycle engine's oil pump was specifically designed to run only 0w20 in their tech videos and says running thicker oil in this engine will cause damage. thats coming from from VW mouth

How would oil thicker than 0W20 damage this gear pump?

Last edited:
VW says the new BUDACK cycle engine's oil pump was specifically designed to run only 0w20 in their tech videos and says running thicker oil in this engine will cause damage. thats coming from from VW mouth

Man, what happens when it's -20C, instant engine failure when the oil is orders of magnitude heavier?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Man, what happens when it's -20C, instant engine failure when the oil is orders of magnitude heavier?

It's not beyond VW to have such a failure with something new.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by zeng

Inadequate engineering ... pump gears must be made out of pot metal. They disintegrate before the pump's pressure relief valve kicks in.
grin2.gif

Ok, got it ..... as increased oil temperature from viscous drag melted away the gear pump material and one should consider blending 0W20 in 1:1 ratio with kerosene for increased oil pump life....

Last edited:
The new style engine that requires 0w20 uses a new oil pump design and a has 22 teeth gears vs 24 teeth for higher ratio and faster build up of oil pressure

Other gear dimendions remain equal, it drops volumetric flowrate, saving several watts in oil pumping for imperceptible FE.
It wouldn't necessary build up oil pressure faster, instead it takes a longer time ....
This has no relation to suitability of oil viscosity grades for this gear pump design.

i was just staying aboaut the new gear pump design itself, then i was stating what vw says about 0w20 and not using it can cause damage
all i can tell you is this all is directly from the vw self study guides on the new engines for employees, i didnt write it. so this all comes from VWs mouth

Last edited:
https://www.fuchs.com/fileadmin/sch..._FUCHS_for__VW_508_00-509_00_02-2017.pdf

FUCHS

Mannheim, February 2017
Introduction of the new TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE IV SAE 0W-20 engine oil for the new
VW specifications VW 508 00 / 509 00
General information
Specifications 508 00 and 509 00 concern the so-called �VW Blue Oil� for the latest
generations of engines from VW. The specifications demand an oil in viscosity class SAE
0W-20 with a reduced HTHS viscosity of at least 2.6 mPa.s. This allows fuel savings of
at least 4% to be achieved. The first of these engines have been available on the market
since the end of 2015. Specifications VW 508 00 and 509 00 are not backwards
compatible with previous VW specifications. In contrast, specification VW 504 00 can be
used wherever older VW specifications for petrol engines are required, for example. For
diesel engines, specification VW 507 00 can also be used for the corresponding older
diesel specifications. R5 and V10 TDI engines up to model year 2006 are the exception.
These engines must be filled with an engine oil according to VW 506 01 (TITAN
Supersyn LONGLIFE PLUS SAE 0W-30). For VW engines that require VW 508 00 / 509
00, engine oils with specification VW 504 00 / 507 00 can currently be used as an option.
TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE IV SAE 0W-20
The new TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE IV SAE 0W-20 was approved by VW in accordance with
VW 508 00 / 509 00 and is now available to dealerships and workshops.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by StevieC
20 weights are evil you should run a 30 or thicker according to some on here, that's probably why you haven't gotten a response in 10 hours.

I would be interested to know the answer though.
thumbsup2.gif

More talk about 508.00 in this thread: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4672060/VW_508_Spec-0w20

Of course you should. Same engines are designed first and foremost around 5W40 oils. They are still recommended to use ACEA C3 in EU and ACEA A3/B3 B4 in Russia, Ukraine and other former Soviet Republics as well as rest of the world.
Now, only reason why VW moved to 0W20 in the US is CAFE and aiming most of their line up to soccer moms.

VW and Volvo(new models), recommed 0w-20 in EU

Castrol Germany for 2.0TSI (EU model) recommends Castrol Edge 0W40.

i was just staying aboaut the new gear pump design itself, then i was stating what vw says about 0w20 and not using it can cause damage
all i can tell you is this all is directly from the vw self study guides on the new engines for employees, i didnt write it. so this all comes from VWs mouth

Let's say that is all true. SO VW designed oil pump just for BUDACK cycle version of EA888 compromising other parts of the engine so that oil pump could work?
VW has some serious issues figuring out what they want in the U.S.

VW and Volvo(new models), recommed 0w-20 in EU[/quote]
[/quote]

Yes they state the same thing here 5w40 or 0w40 for 2.0tsi but those are for the other slightly older engines engines, unless you show somewhere showing for the new E888 GEN3B Engines...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by StevieC
20 weights are evil you should run a 30 or thicker according to some on here, that's probably why you haven't gotten a response in 10 hours.

I would be interested to know the answer though.
thumbsup2.gif

More talk about 508.00 in this thread: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4672060/VW_508_Spec-0w20

Of course you should. Same engines are designed first and foremost around 5W40 oils. They are still recommended to use ACEA C3 in EU and ACEA A3/B3 B4 in Russia, Ukraine and other former Soviet Republics as well as rest of the world.
Now, only reason why VW moved to 0W20 in the US is CAFE and aiming most of their line up to soccer moms.

VW and Volvo(new models), recommed 0w-20 in EU

Castrol home page have much error. Service fill is 0w-20

I wonder if VW realizes how many customers buy elsewhere because they don't want to
Deal with specialized oil , its cost and for now its limited availability.....

I'm thinking, why bother with all of the stupidity? We are in the USA. Specify API oils!

yep thats exactly what i was thinking as well but people love these cars so much and everything about them they still stick with the brand ya know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back