VW 2016 Sportwagen S 5MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dareo
HTSS_TR is correct, if you qualify for the loyalty credit, you can get into the 18k to 19k range. If you are looking for an A/T model they are FAR more common and easier to negotiate on. Since i wanted the hard to find model i had less strength to negotiate with.

I wonder if the loyalty credit is an experiment to see how damaged there sales are from non-VW owners. It makes little sense to give money to them but not others.

I did offer $18.5k for the car on phone to local VW dealer as they called me a few times to come in(again) and try there now available gassers. They said I was no eligible for rebate and I stated be creative. The VW lot is so sad now as they have actually spaced their cars out to make it look less empty with missing TDI's(wildly popular here).

Originally Posted By: pbm
Is the A/T in the Sportwagon the DSG?
Is it a trouble prone unit?

I see on Wikipedia that the A/T is a 6 speed Tiptronic (and not a DSG).....I'm assuming (and hoping) this is a good thing as I've heard some negatives about the DSG.

To the OP...What oil / OCI do you plan to use?

Is the A/T in the Sportwagon the DSG?
Is it a trouble prone unit?

I see on Wikipedia that the A/T is a 6 speed Tiptronic (and not a DSG).....I'm assuming (and hoping) this is a good thing as I've heard some negatives about the DSG.

To the OP...What oil / OCI do you plan to use?

It should be an 09G (AISIN) assuming it is not a TDI.

You can scan it with VAGCOM/VCDS and tell for sure.

MT VW wagon? I love it, congratulations.
19.gif

The transporter delivered the car today. It changes between silver and sorta gold based on the lighting or shadows. I probably should have gone with the bright silver or the grey color but oh well. I think this color will hide dirt and scratches well.

My tentative plan is to do Mobil 1 0w40 every 5k miles. Can't trust VW's 10k OCI since they like to lie about stuff. It does hold 6 qts, so 10k is not unreasonable, but it also has a timing chain that i would like to keep fresh oil on.

Originally Posted By: dareo
The transporter delivered the car today. It changes between silver and sorta gold based on the lighting or shadows. I probably should have gone with the bright silver or the grey color but oh well. I think this color will hide dirt and scratches well.

It should hide dirt extremely well. It sounds a lot like the "Shale" color that used to be extremely popular on a lot of General Motors vehicles. I had a '97 Cadillac in that color and really liked it.

This is my '97 Seville, when my folks owned it, parked in front of their house in West Knoxville, TN. Similar color to your VW?

1997-Cadillac-Seville-Sls-Side-View.jpg

Looks like this at dusk:

I'm really impressed by this car. The equipment on this 'base' model is unreal. The stereo is even quite good. I honestly don't see the need for anything nicer or more expensive for a daily driver. The engine feels very strong for its 170hp rating, easily faster than our 10% heavier 14 Accord 6mt. The Accord wins on shifting quality, but not by a lot. This MK7 shifts better than the clunky Passat i tested. You get excellent torque across the range, in exchange for a bit of turbo lag.

Does that engine use a timing belt or chain? I never could seem to get a straight answer on that when asking around.

I'd love a manual transmission station wagon! Would be perfect for all the stuff I haul around.

The 6 speed auto is an Aisin unit, I believe. It's strange ... sitting at a stop light it goes into neutral, then when you release the brake pedal, it engages drive again. And it locks the torque converter over 5 or 10 - like Mazda.

Iron block, timing chain, 3rd gen of the ea888 design, beefy plastic oil pan (vw alu pans cracked easily) simple turbo mounting, easy oil filter, everything on paper looks great for this engine. I hope it can live a very long life.

Does this engine have the secondary multipoint fuel injection that would help reduce valve deposits? I've read the version sold in Europe does, but the version we get here in the US does not.

It only has direct injectors, so i imagine i will have to clean it out at some point.

Here's a shot of it after i washed it and in morning light.

Looks great. Can't beat the practicality of a wagon, while still maintaining low center of gravity and good sedan-like handling. I'm leaning towards a wagon as my next car as well. I wish there were some RWD options available though. Most manufacturers force you into some kind of AWD when buying their wagon.

One week update: Lovin' the sportwagen. This thing can put out warm air so fast, like 2 blocks from my house fast. I thought i would miss having heated seats but the car warms up amazingly fast and the seats don't feel cold. The stereo has HD radio! I like the FM stations around here and getting the HD signal combined with the pretty decent audio quality in the car is great. I think it can get Sirius radio too but i haven't gone there yet. Android Auto doesn't work with my stupid LG G4 phone, not sure if its LG or VW at fault but i will just ditch the phone if there isn't an update soon. With about 200 miles on it i've gotten a little more aggressive with the throttle. Coming out of a round about in the bottom of second gear is awesome. The manual is slick and the giant power band means less shifting than an N/A car. This car will be so much fun with a tune and some mods later on down the road.

Don't want to hear about it!
grin.gif

Does it have some sort of torque vectoring or something on the front dif? Maybe just better TC than my car. I do find its easy to spin up the inside tire in the corners with the more even weight distribution of a wagon.

Followed in your footsteps and bought the Sportwagen S today. I got the automatic in night blue metallic. Would have preferred silk blue, but I'm OK with the one I got.

I'm out the door for just under $18,800 plus TTL. Considering the sticker was $23,815, I'm satisfied. The auto adds $1,100 and the stupid monster mats and first aid kit added about $280. Didn't want those, but they are not dealer installed, they're actually on the sticker. I had the $1,500 VW loyalty plus another $500 supplier discount.

Will be picking it up tomorrow.

Thanks to dareo for the advice. It helped.

One note to anyone else thinking of grabbing one. There is a camshaft recall for these engines and many dealers are showing stock that can't be sold as the cars are waiting for parts. Mine is from a later build date, but I'm not sure I would want to buy a brand new car with a dealer installed camshaft if I could avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back