Vroom has ceased operations as of today, 1/22/2024.

Now do carvana.
Already did? They’re fabulous. Both vehicles I got were flawless and less than local prices for identical vehicles, and the vehicle I sold they gave me about $2400 MORE than what I paid for it (2014 Transit Connect Titanium with 75k). Title work all done properly, taxes paid, no hidden “paperwork fees”, etc… not sure what more you could possibly ask for?

I hate to see a business go but I’ve never understood how someone could buy a car without a test drive first and seeing it in person. I understand returning it but that waste so much time. My neighbor ordered his BMW off there and he loved it. It’s been sitting in his driveway since May 2021 2 months after he bought it because he doesn’t want any miles on it.
Carvana gives you a 7 day, 400 mile no questions asked or strings attached test drive period. They don’t process your payment or begin title work until the 7 days has expired. You can return the car at their expense at any time during the 7 days. The only thing you can’t recoup is if there were shipping fees to get the vehicle to your local Carvana warehouse.

The two cars I bought and one car I sold to Carvana were by far the most enjoyable, straightforward, and painless purchases I’ve made.

I’d prefer to do that 10 times with Carvana vs just one time of just driving past (not even going in!) the local WM…
The guy I bought my BMW from was going to sell it to Carvana the day I bought it. I've heard good things from others about Carvana as well.

The two cars I bought and one car I sold to Carvana were by far the most enjoyable, straightforward, and painless purchases I’ve made.

I’d prefer to do that 10 times with Carvana vs just one time of just driving past (not even going in!) the local WM…
What's WM?

I just saw a car on a Vroom transport on Friday, based on direction of travel I think it was bought by them. Hope the owner gets the money.

Neighbors down the street bought a Rogue from Carvana in 2020 and it's been fine.

A big positive of these online businesses is keeping the local dealer honest on trade-ins. Worked for me.

Last edited:
Already did? They’re fabulous. Both vehicles I got were flawless and less than local prices for identical vehicles, and the vehicle I sold they gave me about $2400 MORE than what I paid for it (2014 Transit Connect Titanium with 75k). Title work all done properly, taxes paid, no hidden “paperwork fees”, etc… not sure what more you could possibly ask for?
Sent the wrong car.
They seem to have trouble telling the difference between a regular hybrid and a plug in hybrid.
When I asked about the battery condition on a Nissan leaf they had no clue what I was talking about.

Volume makes up for a multitude of sins

Only short term. Long term, not so much.

A long, long time ago, there was a huge Ford dealership in SLC named Colonial Ford. Their business model was to sell cars for a lower price than any other dealership in the market, and thus make profit from volume. They failed terribly. To undercut all the other Ford dealerships, they had to sell cars for such a low price, that they weren't making enough to even cover their massive overhead, needed to run such a big dealership. Colonial started defaulting on interest owed Ford Motor Credit Corp (FMCC). If I recall correctly, FMCC put into motion to repossess Colonial's inventory, and Colonial pre-emptively filed a lawsuit against FMCC, to try to stop them.

Long story short, Colonial was out of business after only a very few years. The low price/high volume model just didn't work out for them. Here we are decades later, and it looks like Carvana is about to learn the same lesson.

The issues vroom was having as far as titling vehicles sooner or later I had a feeling they would close up shop, I purchased a car a few years ago from carvana and didn’t have any issues dealing with that company. I remember when the car was delivered the first thing I noticed was Arizona temporary plates, If I can remember carvana used three states for issuing temp tags.

I'm surprised that Carvana didn't go under first!
If you dig into the back story and history of Carvana and the Father & Son duo behind it, you will see a Masterclass of business legalized theft of structuring a company and taking it public where they make millions if not billions whether the company goes bankrupt or succeeds on the back of their investors and the buying public. Their money is made in borderline subprime lending, not the actual profit selling of vehicles.

Last edited:
If you dig into the back story and history of Carvana and the Father & Son duo behind it, you will see a Masterclass of legalized theft of structuring a company and taking it public where they make millions if not billions whether the company goes bankrupt or succeeds on the back of their investors and the buying public. Their money is made in borderline subprime lending, not the actual profit selling of vehicles.
I wonder if they ever turned a profit from the sale of a vehicle?

I wonder if they ever turned a profit from the sale of a vehicle?
Been awhile since I have tracked them, but I think they may have had a couple of profitable quarters during the height of the COVID market nonsense but nothing since that I know of.

Back of my mind, I have been waiting for the SEC to kick their corporate doors in and arrest them, but they seemed to have played the leveraging game pretty solid. I would not want to be a rank and file employee of theirs and think I have a long term career with them.

Once I spent a good 2-3 hours researching vehicles on Vroom. Nearly all of them were from the north (rust prone) and had not so great carfax/autochecks. Good bye.
I stopped a guy from here that had not thought of that …
Was able to get a new year end Ram deal right before the Zoom pandemic drove up prices 🙄

Back