GM to begin prevention of Apple carplay and Android Auto use in new models beginning in 2024

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I don't recall reading this yet on BITOG.

General Motors, earlier this week announced beginning in some 2024 models, will not allow Apple's carplay or Android Auto to function/ be available. GM will start this process in 2024 with some EV vehicles, and is projected to make this mandatory across all their products in the following years.

GM states that using a proprietary Google system in their vehicles will provide a better experience for the end-user. Critics state this is nothing more than a manner for GM to charge monthly/ reoccuring subscritipn fees to use navigation and other technology deleiverd products in their vehicles, and this will prevent the end user from having competive options. One writer suggested GM might actually be able to generate income from songs that are played on its new proprietary information/ infotainment systems in their new vehicles.

"As we scale our EVs and launch our Ultifi software platform, we can do more than ever before with in-vehicle technologies and over-the-air updates. All of this is allowing us to constantly improve the customer experience we can offer across our brands," said Edward Kummer, GM's chief digital officer.

GM told Ars that it's moving away from phone projection to offer customers a more integrated solution that sees Google Maps, Google Assistant, Audible, Spotify, and other applications run natively on its cars' infotainment systems.

I don't recall reading this yet on BITOG.

General Motors, earlier this week announced beginning in some 2024 models, will not allow Apple's carplay or Android Auto to function/ be available. GM will start this process in 2024 with some EV vehicles, and is projected to make this mandatory across all their products in the following years.

GM states that using a proprietary Google system in their vehicles will provide a better experience for the end-user. Critics state this is nothing more than a manner for GM to charge monthly/ reoccuring subscritipn fees to use navigation and other technology deleiverd products in their vehicles, and this will prevent the end user from having competive options. One writer suggested GM might actually be able to generate income from songs that are played on its new proprietary information/ infotainment systems in their new vehicles.

"As we scale our EVs and launch our Ultifi software platform, we can do more than ever before with in-vehicle technologies and over-the-air updates. All of this is allowing us to constantly improve the customer experience we can offer across our brands," said Edward Kummer, GM's chief digital officer.

GM told Ars that it's moving away from phone projection to offer customers a more integrated solution that sees Google Maps, Google Assistant, Audible, Spotify, and other applications run natively on its cars' infotainment systems.
One more reason to shop another brand.

I’ll make sure to never rent and especially own a GM product if it lacks CarPlay to plug my iPhone into.

I plop into a car and get consistent interface on touchscreen for maps, phone and music. I presume similar for Android Auto.

The Google Nav system in our newer Tahoe is hands down the best of all in signature … Music can be managed various ways …

I suppose the car will also complain mightily if an aftermarket stereo is installed.

I suppose the car will also complain mightily if an aftermarket stereo is installed.
If you can install one - iDatalink and PAC has figured out how to keep OnStar and GMLAN/LIN happy and even kept the factory settings but now…

If you can install one - iDatalink and PAC has figured out how to keep OnStar and GMLAN/LIN happy and even kept the factory settings but now…
Well … between OnStar and SXM - I’m out a buck a day …

I see this was posted yesterday… earlier “in the week” from yesterday was the first. Any chance of coincidence?

One more reason to shop another brand.
Bingo, + 1000

My thought exactly.

Just about as dumb and exploiting is BMW's yearly subscription for drivers heated seat option.

But people are dumb, heck there's people driving around that don't even know anything about what's under the hood of the vehicle that they own. And there's people that will fall for this exploitation.

I certainly won't be one of them.

We interrupt today’s GM bash with this announcement …
I actually buy GM - plus have 6 iPhones, 4 iPads, and 4 Apple Watches - and still don’t care …
Between Google, SXM, OnStar, WiFi, all plug-in and Bluetooth interaction options - will survive …

With the inherent gain in reliability of EV's automakers are going to have to look for other revenue streams which will make up for their losses form ever reducing parts in sales.

Back