VOA Pennzoil Ultra 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I use Ultra but am planning on going to Mobil 1 HM 5W30. The numbers just look better then Ultra.

M1 5W-30 HM is a nice looking oil on paper, but that Ultra additive package looks great on paper too.

I like the higher Phos/zinc numbers of Mobil 1 HM. Mobil 1 HM also cleans extremely well. Also easier to find and has a lower price then Ultra at Wally world. Both are great oils though and you will not go wrong with either one.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I like the higher Phos/zinc numbers of Mobil 1 HM. Mobil 1 HM also cleans extremely well. Also easier to find and has a lower price then Ultra at Wally world. Both are great oils though and you will not go wrong with either one.

Yep same here i love the SL package in the HM,glad i got plenty in stash.

but also have $20 PU in stash.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
This oil is on the thin side of a 30w, am i seeing that right?

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I don't think that viscosity is correct, I had a 6000 mile UOA of Ultra that showed a thicker viscosity than this VOA.

Originally Posted By: daman
yea something don't seem right...

I'm not sure there's anything wrong here. While 9.7 is on the low end for virgin xW30 oil, its certainly within SAE spec range (9.3 - 12.5). It is a little lower than what's reported on the data sheet for PU 5W30 ( 10.3), but probably within their product spec limits. Its definitely out of SAE spec for a xW20 oil (5.6-9.3), so I don't think its a mislabeled 20. I guess another possibility is that the Blackstone measurement was off (low), but still I don't think the 9.7 value is unreasonable for PU 5w30.

And I seem to recall reading that in contrast to conventional oils, the synthetics tend to increase in viscosity with age - which would explain Ben99GT's observation of a higher viscosity than 9.7 for his UOA on this same oil. Well that, and normal variability in the virgin PU 5W30's viscosity from lot to lot.

Ah yes, found what I read - look at the graph on page 8 of this article, it shows that conventional oils first thin with age, then thicken, while synthetics never thin - only thicken slowly.

is it safe to say that the boron is doing its job and attaching itself to the alloys inside the motor? I would have to assume that boron wont attach to itself? I wonder how many oil changes it would take for the boron numbers in a UOA to stabilize to the numbers in the VOA if in fact, the boron is coating the inside of the motor.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Shell does not use a lot of moly in any of their oils.

What about Formula Shell white bottle? It has about 200+ ppm moly. They must use moly as a band-aid antiwear additive for the cheaper oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back