VOA- Amsoil SS 5w30

sorry, couldn't figure out how to crop my name and address out of the picture, I'm sure you're all outstanding people but not everyone is :) and I just got back from a trip
this is a voa I paid for on amsoil signature series 5w30, I have chosen to run this in my 23 mustang gt (currently at 12k miles) and was what I serviced it with when I did its first oil change at 4k miles, I plan on following the iolm which should be a run of about 10k miles, and will do uoa's once I feel I've done enough changes that break in residue isn't skewing the report
amsoil.jpg

Looks like a pretty solid additive pack. I been considering using their new high mileage option because the price isn't insane and is licensed although I would trust Amsoils unlicensed products because they have a written guarantee/warranty and obviously been around a very long time.

Looks like a pretty solid additive pack. I been considering using their new high mileage option because the price isn't insane and is licensed although I would trust Amsoils unlicensed products because they have a written guarantee/warranty and obviously been around a very long time.
I'm sure it'll work just fine, I don't really mind the extra cost and have personally had good results with amsoil, so I'll just do my yearly order of one oil change for the 6.7, one for the mustang, and one for the nissan :)

Amsoil and HPL would be my choice of top tier oils.
I use Amsoil in my tractor and ATV
HPL in my truck and snowmobiles.
Life’s too short to be lukewarm on the products we buy, especially on the maintenance front of our “toys”. If you’re not excited every time a box arrives from your oil vendor, it’s time to check your pulse, or review who your check was written to. Spend your money with somebody who makes you friggin excited to do your preventive maintenance!!! 👍🏻

Life’s too short to be lukewarm on the products we buy, especially on the maintenance front of our “toys”. If you’re not excited every time a box arrives from your oil vendor, it’s time to check your pulse, or review who your check was written to. Spend your money with somebody who makes you friggin excited to do your preventive maintenance!!! 👍🏻
Yup, I decline dealer maintenance package whenever I add another one (DJ KAHLED) I'm a long way from the kid doing his own stuff and shoving royal purple down a dying 302 in a 89 ford but I still enjoy getting my hands dirty even if I don't really have too :)

Thank you for the voa. I’m thinking about giving Amsoil SS 5w-30 a run in my 2018 Subaru Outback. Curious how it would hold up for an extended drain? Currently I don’t like going over the factory oci with off the shelf oils due to shearing in the Subie.

Thank you for the voa. I’m thinking about giving Amsoil SS 5w-30 a run in my 2018 Subaru Outback. Curious how it would hold up for an extended drain? Currently I don’t like going over the factory oci with off the shelf oils due to shearing in the Subie.
Shearing? Can you let us know how you’ve seen mechanical shear in the oil?

That would also be very dependent on the specific oil being used. Which oil did you see this shear?

If your Subie is GDI / TGDI, keep the OCIs to 5k.
I'm dumping the Kia Amsoil at 3k and it doesn't wear the GDI label. Been doing these short OCIs since 1970.

Shearing? Can you let us know how you’ve seen mechanical shear in the oil?

That would also be very dependent on the specific oil being used. Which oil did you see this shear?
Hello. Seen in Subaru uoa’s. Not sure if it’s mechanical shear. I had thought the long timing chain might be a cause? 2018 is not gdi. Variety of approved basic synthetic oils typically from Walmart shelves.

If your Subie is GDI / TGDI, keep the OCIs to 5k.
I'm dumping the Kia Amsoil at 3k and it doesn't wear the GDI label. Been doing these short OCIs since 1970.
Wait...you change Amsoil every 3,000 miles???
Dang. 🧐
Hopefully just using their cheapest OE oil and not Signature Series.

I get confused about when Subaru went direct injection. I had assumed all F motors were…but maybe not.

Back on topic, sort of: i don’t know my Mustangs. @relentless044 : Is it a V8, or an EcoBoost? I’m running Amsoil SS for the first time in my 3.5 EB, but won’t know how well it does for awhile, as seldom driven except in summers…the wild card is fuel dilution…but I’m hoping it will hold up to fuel dilution (and/or shearing) better than run-of-mill synthetics.

Of course “…hoping…” is different from “…sure…,” in that last sentence.

Last edited:
Back