VOA- Amsoil SS 5w30

I get confused about when Subaru went direct injection. I had assumed all F motors were…but maybe not.

Back on topic, sort of: i don’t know my Mustangs. @relentless044 : Is it a V8, or an EcoBoost? I’m running Amsoil SS for the first time in my 3.5 EB, but won’t know how well it does for awhile, as seldom driven except in summers…the wild card is fuel dilution…but I’m hoping it will hold up to fuel dilution (and/or shearing) better than run-of-mill synthetics.

Of course “…hoping…” is different from “…sure…,” in that last sentence.
Well no oil is going to really “stand up” to fuel dilution since for the most part that’s a simple dilution of a higher viscosity fluid by one of a lower viscosity. Yes a better VM can resist temporary viscosity loss but if you’re buying a name-brand oil then most VM are of sufficient quality.

I’m running Amsoil SS on my 3.5L ecoboost f150 (2014). I currently have 167k miles on it and will upload that result when it comes.

First sample in May-23 had Lubeguard added. Second sample is pure amsoil.

I ran this truck on mobil1 5w-30 since new with a mobil1 filter 5-7.5k mi change interval. Still running the M1 filter but switched to Amsoil at 140k mi when I became an oil nerd.
Never had an engine related issue on this truck. I have heard timing chain on very cold and long sit startups with oil that was 5k mi or over. That’s when I started experimenting with oil and lubeguard. I would not run a cohost longer than 5k mi on any oil.
IMG_4408.jpg

I get confused about when Subaru went direct injection. I had assumed all F motors were…but maybe not.

Back on topic, sort of: i don’t know my Mustangs. @relentless044 : Is it a V8, or an EcoBoost? I’m running Amsoil SS for the first time in my 3.5 EB, but won’t know how well it does for awhile, as seldom driven except in summers…the wild card is fuel dilution…but I’m hoping it will hold up to fuel dilution (and/or shearing) better than run-of-mill synthetics.

Of course “…hoping…” is different from “…sure…,” in that last sentence.
gt's are 5.0's, v8

the very first engine I ever ran amsoil in was a 2014 3.5L and I swear it was night and day vs the castrol I drained out, quieter, tad better mpg, and no, amsoil doesn't pay me

Well no oil is going to really “stand up” to fuel dilution since for the most part that’s a simple dilution of a higher viscosity fluid by one of a lower viscosity. Yes a better VM can resist temporary viscosity loss but if you’re buying a name-brand oil then most VM are of sufficient quality.
Sorry, I know it’s been 2-3 weeks, but I wanted to push back on this a bit. I was under the impression cheaper VII’s / VM’s can lose their effect more than just temporarily. Also, some oils may rely on the VII’s more than others. There is the extreme example of HPL’s no-VII line on one end. I’m not sure what oil(s) sit on the opposite extreme, even within the “name-brand” realm. But in my ecoboost diluter, 4.7% fuel should have contributed no more than 4.7% viscosity lowering, unless there is also some degradation (shear?).

There is a bit of a question here: if a UOA shows a hypothetical oil starting at 10cst (VOA), wouldn’t you expect ~9.5cst after 5% fuel dilution in the total absence of shear or degradation?

After ~2700 miles, fuel was reported at OAI by GC method at 4.7% for my QSFS OCI. But it lost much more than .47cst; Cst loss was more like 1.0 (10%) maybe more…depending on true Virgin Cst. A subsequent Castrol Edge UOA showed maybe 0.6-0.7 with 5% fuel, again after a short 3000 mile OCI. (So that’s better, right?) Conversely , the Valvoline PB RESTORE I have used, over 3 OCI’s, lost ~4.5%-5.5% with reported fuel of 2.1%-4.4%-3%. So there was an additional 2-3% viscosity loss in addition to the fuel dilution. The big difference is these results were over 7500-7800-8700 mile OCI’s. These were not contiguous…there was a short OCI using run-of-mill synthetic between each…some untested. My point is, the super-deluxe oil outperformed the run-of-mill name-brand synthetics. The sequence was 7800 mi with VPBR, 2500 mi with M1 (SN+?, not tested), 8700 mi VPBR, 2700 mi QSFS (SP), 7500 mi VPBR, 3000 mi Edge, and current fill Amsoil SS, low mileage at the moment. Admittedly the VPBR was used during summer excursions, but my point is more about what the effect of the fuel was on the oil, not under what driving conditions did fuel pile up.

there’s this VOA, and then there’s @SynOilFan ‘s VOA of Amsoil’s new EOT (Euro 0w30). This VOA from Blackstone, and the EOT one from Oil Analyzers. Though I really appreciate both posters providing these, it would be nice to have a more complete VOA on all oils. Notice OA shows oxidation…which does not tell everything, but does hint strongly at Ester content. Knowing the starting oxidation (or any element), is crucial to deciphering UOA results. Similarly, on UOA’s, OA (allegedly) shows true gas chromatography fuel dilution vs. a back door estimation via flashpoint.

I admit OA has substandard tester comments, whereas BS cheers you on to longer OCI’s despite some warning signs in some cases, but does have an edge being more more folksy, substantially less AI drone-like. But BITOG should demand BS offer a real fuel dilution test, and oxidation & nitration measures. Then we can demand OA put a little more personal touch & attention into their comments.

But BITOG should demand BS offer a real fuel dilution test, and oxidation & nitration measures. Then we can demand OA put a little more personal touch & attention into their comments.
Do you really think BS or OA will comply with BITOG demands?

I found an older VOA of this oil, though supposedly current spec (??). In another thread I was bi*ching that there a lack of VOA on Amsoil showing Virgin oxidation. Well, I guess I hadn’t looked hard enough.

@Pablo: mea culpa. (Hope these aren’t “older formulas” I’ve resurrected.)

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

Last edited:
Won’t know until you try.
If you listen to the BS podcast, you'll find out the answer is a big fat NO. They have dug their heels in to flashpoint and derived fuel dilution and don't have a lot of positive things to say about "online communities". BITOG users are a tiny drop in the bucket of their userbase. And it's not like everyone here will agree to stop using BS if they don't comply.

Gee, and I thought BITOG was a force. I wasn’t aware BS had a podcast, will have to find…just like I wasn’t aware Amsoil had a YouTube vid tour.
Which I haven’t viewed yet either.

I'm late to this party.

That's a good looking oil. The decent amount of moly is likely from multiple moly-based FMs. I like the high amount of boron. The viscosity is on the lower side of a 30 grade, which is fine as I wouldn't expect this oil to shear much. That's if Blackstone's KV100 is to be trusted. The TBN looks good as well.

I'm late to this party.

That's a good looking oil. The decent amount of moly is likely from multiple moly-based FMs. I like the high amount of boron. The viscosity is on the lower side of a 30 grade, which is fine as I wouldn't expect this oil to shear much. That's if Blackstone's KV100 is to be trusted. The TBN looks good as well.
actually, the TBN reading is disappointing. Maybe this is a D4739 vs D2896 thing, or maybe a BS inaccuracy, or maybe Amsoil lightened the Base more recently. 12.46 vs 9.7 vs 8.8???

actually, the TBN reading is disappointing. Maybe this is a D4739 vs D2896 thing, or maybe a BS inaccuracy, or maybe Amsoil lightened the Base more recently. 12.46 vs 9.7 vs 8.8???

Blackstone uses D4739. Polaris uses D2896 and thus reads 1-2 points higher. I tend to add 2 points to Blackstone's TBN value to get a more accurate measure.

What's interesting to see is the detergent values in relation to the TBN. The amount of calcium and magnesium is inline with typical SP concentrations, yet we see a higher TBN than most SP oils. Boron may contribute to that slightly, maybe +0.2 or so. What it indicates to me is the use of more concentrated (for lack of a better term) overbased detergents, likely 400 TBN calcium sulfonate instead of 320 TBN or 300 TBN. (speaking of additive value alone before blending) This will favor D2896.

Well, my post #31 shows which standard the reading was supposedly obtained under (not implying any credit due to me, I just copied/pasted). just stating, at least for that reading, Oil Analysers (aka Polaris?) showed d4739 for their Base reading of 9.7. I don’t know the source of the voa Buster posted, but showed d2986. So, consistent with your point, the D2986 reading is the highest, BS D4739 has the lowest reading @ 8.8, but OA, also using D4739, shows 9.7. Anyway, quite a spread from 12.5 to 8.8. So, is 9.7 vs 8.8 worth sweating over? But not the same warm fuzzy (run it for 20k no worries) as a 12.5 reading.

But…thanks for your 2nd paragraph discussing detergent values to TBN…!!

Back