Vegetable-based Biodegradable Lubricants

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

quote:

Sorry to say but High Oleic Safflower or Sunflower 85% Oleic, WILL even with a good 1-1.5% BHT AO form a "gooey castor oil type sludge".

I respectfully recommend you do a search in the Patent Office, SAE, and TLT (STLE) on new Anti-Oxidant developments for bio-based lube oils.

I'll even give you a hint: RTV's Vanlube 9317 and VanLube 8610.

Do searches on Renewable Lubricant's as well.

Oleic acid polymerizes on the presence of oxygen, catalyzed by lead and other metals, and faster, the higher the temperature. Yes you can delay it by piling in antioxidants, but but it doesn't make sense to me do so.

I know a little about this subject, I have a degree in chemistry, and spent 10 years of my life making resins for use in paint. True the more oleic acid in a oil, the less it polymerizes, but tall oil with 46% oleic makes fine paint, drying to a hard film. Do some research on drying oils.

Labman,

A very large chemical company here in the United States is planning to invest in just such research in cooperation between their China location and a Chinese University. I would rather see biodiesel than crankcase oil myself, but that doesn't mean this still will not happen. There is a market for anything that sounds or seems green, even if in the long run it makes less economic or environmental sense than a different option.

Ammend that--in cooperation with China's largest coal company. Not really liquidfacation of coal, but using coal as a feedstock for olefins, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back