VALVOLINE SYNPOWER OIL TREATMENT from Blackstone Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by drm7:
I have a couple questions:

1- If this stuff is that thick is there a chance that it will settle out in the oil pan once the engine cools overnight? Or will it stay in suspension once warmed and mixed in the oil after a short run?

2- With this much ZDDP and with SM / GF4 oils lowering the amount of ZDDP out of fear of poisoning the cat will this increase your chance of ruining a cat? My cars don't use oil but I don't want to have to replace a cat anytime soon and I plan to get a lot of miles out of my current stable.

I wonder if it would be best to put this in some 100+ degree water to soften it and allow you to shake it up before adding to the crankcase???

1- "If this stuff is that thick is there a chance that it will settle out in the oil pan once the engine cools overnight?" I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT WOULD HAPPEN.

"Or will it stay in suspension once warmed and mixed in the oil after a short run?" I AM CONFIDENT IT WOULD.

2. If you are not subject to emissions testing then it is SORT OF a non-issue. But i would expect no problem at the one ounce per ratio. Effects on cat would be more if engine consumes a lot of oil.

3. Wouldn't hurt to keep it near the heat register for a while before adding, certainly not in the cold garage, but when you leave it inverted in the filler neck of the hot engine the engine heat should help get it all out. It will shake at room temp easily enough. In fact it seems to loosen up after the first couple jerks.

Lets get a running list of places to find this potent stuff.

I am in PA. I CANT find it at:

Pepboys
Wally world
Advanced Auto

They all have the engine protector.

I need to check Autozone.

I think Pepboys by me carries the Synpower stuff.

You are right Walmart does not carry it; neither does Meijers.

Can't remember about Advance Auto, but Autozone carries it.

quote:

Originally posted by Shadohh:
Lets get a running list of places to find this potent stuff.

Pepboys
Wally world
Advanced Auto

They all have the engine protector.

I need to check Autozone.

NAPA was the only place I could find it, and there was only 1 bottle left. I suppose NAPA can order it for you if they do not stock.

In my area Advanced Auto, Autozone, and Walmart only have the Maxlife Engine Protector and not the Synpower additive.

FWIW the MSDS (dated 1/2002) lists "ORGANOMOLYBDENUM COMPLEX IN PETROLEUM PROCES" as 1.0 - 9.0%.

Anyone care to speculate as to why the two VOA's of Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment look nothing alike?

Thanks for the VOA BlueBird.
cheers.gif

[ November 05, 2004, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: leanintoit ]

Valvoline's tech data sheet gives zinc, calcium, and magnesium amounts for the Synpower Oil Treatment. Here is the comparison

Parameter: Tech Sheet / Blackstone / Other VOA

Zinc: 2700 / 2630 / 1565

Calcium: 1020 / 1720 / 85

Magnesium: 810 / 2720 / 24

dunno.gif

quote:

Any thoughts on my questions above? I'm interested in this product but don't want to replace a cat or sludge my motor.

Thanks!

Since you use no oil...I wouldn't worry about it. I've had an oil FOGGER for over 35k and I've used enough HDEO in it that if this was truly an issue ..it would have shown up by now. I have the original cat in the van and 165k on it. I'm beginning to wonder if this stuff truly poisons cats ..or inhibits the reclamation of the platinum when they're recycled. Keep in mind ...you don't see used cats for sale. It's illegal if it is ...err make that "unlawful".

quote:

Pepboys
Wally world
Advanced Auto

Hi Shadohh. I'm also from your neck of the woods and I just picked up 3 bottles of the stuff @ Pep Boys in Broomall. I know that may seem a bit out of the way for you, but its the closest place I could find it (I also work in that area). Don't worry, I left at least 5 bottles on the shelf for you.

Thanks.

I finally found some myself.

At a Autozone in MT Penn.

$3.99 a bottle. I got 2.

The cashier said they sell alot of it.

I went home and did an oil change happy
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BlueBird:
This the Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment that comes in the 15oz bottle.

Molybdenum 3481
Boron 1367
Phosphorus 2109
Zinc 2626

Can we get a confirmation on everything being typed correctly?

Specially concerning that moly.

You just gotta love that TBN
cool.gif

This gets my vote for additive of the year and remember this analysis does not show the Antimony thats in it .

Forget about stocking up on SL's
tongue.gif

I would put this in dino's 2-2500 miles into the intervals for the dispersant spike and to offset minor thinning .

Using 1 ounce per quart in a motorcycle with factory Kevlar Clutch plates = no problems for me after 6 months .

quote:

You know. Just cause someone recommends only 1oz. Doesnt mean its a law ^^

It appears to be a pretty good recommendation based on the levels of additives; however, Valvoline says you can add the whole bottle to one crankcase of oil. So while it might be a bit overkill, the whole bottle should not hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back