Valvoline 5W40 MST in Gasoline Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have searched but didn't find much information about Valvoline 5W40 MST.

Recently been able to find some Valvoline 5W40 MST but it seems like not quite suitable for Gasoline Engine... It seems like a mid SAPS oil that is more suitable for Diesel in the US.

My question is if I am going to use in an 2001 BMW 325i gasoline powered engine, is it suitable? If so, should I lower the OCI because of the gasoline in the state? I also plan to use it in my 1995 Toyota Camry. Any thoughts on this oil?

I am also looking for UOA for this oil in gasoline engine but not quite success...

Originally Posted By: Kitto
My question is if I am going to use in an 2001 BMW 325i gasoline powered engine, is it suitable? If so, should I lower the OCI because of the gasoline in the state?

Yeah, I would shorten the OCI. Other than that, it'll probably be fine.

But with so many LL-01 oils out there, why even bother with this MST oil though?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
My question is if I am going to use in an 2001 BMW 325i gasoline powered engine, is it suitable? If so, should I lower the OCI because of the gasoline in the state?

Yeah, I would shorten the OCI. Other than that, it'll probably be fine.

But with so many LL-01 oils out there, why even bother with this MST oil though?

It is because I find it in O'Reilly Auto and they have sales going on.
I find out it is mid SAPS oil after I bought them. If I find out earlier, I wouldn't buy them.

Last edited:
But if you have to cut the OCI in half (potentially), then is the sale still worth it?

You can find GC and M1 0w-40 for about $5/qt when on sale.

I find out it is mid SAPS oil after I bought them. If I find out earlier, I wouldn't buy them.

Oh, OK. Gotcha.

I absolutely love this oil. I have run it in my VW gas engine multiple times. I just wish my O'rileys could get it for me. I run it 5k no problems.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
and is fine for use in a gasoline engine.

Not according to BMWUSA.

I was looking at the API approvals. It is certainly a dual-rated engine oil, but as you point out, the drain interval would need to be more conservative...or determined by UOA.

Can you explain what is unique about the BMW gasoline engine oil spec?

-Rob

and is fine for use in a gasoline engine.

Not according to BMWUSA.

Can you explain what is unique about the BMW gasoline engine oil spec?

-Rob

IIRC being that BMWNA believes in long drain intervals their position is that due to inconsistant fuel quality (higher levels of acid producing sulphur and/or ethanol) LL04 oils are only to be used in their diesels.

When it comes to gasoline the LL04 oils are limited to a handful of countries in western europe.

My guess is that since LL04 oils have lower starting TBN they can't go the long OCI on higher sulphur/high ethanol fuels.

I believe this is the similar position taken by Mercedes Benz with their 229.5 vs 229.51 oils. Interestingly enough Audi/VW does not share this position.

So yeah the OP could probably use LL04 but at half the interval.

Last edited:
This oil does not carry the VW 503 long life approvals, but it does have the VW 502 approval which means I can run it for 5k in my Passat. I would rather use the HST version with higher detergents though, just don't know where to get it.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

IIRC being that BMWNA believes in long drain intervals their position is that due to inconsistant fuel quality (higher levels of acid producing sulphur and/or ethanol) LL04 oils are only to be used in their diesels.

When it comes to gasoline the LL04 oils are limited to a handful of countries in western europe.

My guess is that since LL04 oils have lower starting TBN they can't go the long OCI on higher sulphur/high ethanol fuels.

I believe this is the similar position taken by Mercedes Benz with their 229.5 vs 229.51 oils. Interestingly enough Audi/VW does not share this position.

So yeah the OP could probably use LL04 but at half the interval.

This is what I am thinking too. I think for the BMW, I will be doing 5k to 7.5k OCI.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
This oil does not carry the VW 503 long life approvals, but it does have the VW 502 approval which means I can run it for 5k in my Passat. I would rather use the HST version with higher detergents though, just don't know where to get it.

I wish they have HST in quart size (or even better in gallon size)! I think the HST is only available in bulk... maybe dealer or Valvoline Instant Oil Change place... which we won't be going...

I ran this oil in my VW 2.5L gas for two OCI's. For a 5800mi run the TBN dropped from 7.2 to 4.3, cSt at 100C only dropped from 12.43 to 12.38, pretty stable. An interesting note: my batch showed 6ppm Al in the VOA. Comparing my two MST runs to M1 0W-40 run for 6800 mi, MST seems to have a weaker add pack and a faster TBN depletion rate, but maybe a more knowledgeable BITOGer could analyze that. IMHO, unless you can get it at a good enough price, you'd be better off grabbing the GC or M1 on the shelf next to it.

Originally Posted By: 07Wolfie
I ran this oil in my VW 2.5L gas for two OCI's. For a 5800mi run the TBN dropped from 7.2 to 4.3, cSt at 100C only dropped from 12.43 to 12.38, pretty stable. An interesting note: my batch showed 6ppm Al in the VOA. Comparing my two MST runs to M1 0W-40 run for 6800 mi, MST seems to have a weaker add pack and a faster TBN depletion rate, but maybe a more knowledgeable BITOGer could analyze that. IMHO, unless you can get it at a good enough price, you'd be better off grabbing the GC or M1 on the shelf next to it.

The MST doesn't sound too bad. Do you have a chance to post the full UOA?
I got the oil for $1.50 AR per quart.

Thank you for your questions. The Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic 5w40 MST is the only product offered on the consumer retail level for your wife's 2007 Volkswagen Beetle. The Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic 5w40 HST is only available in drums, and is primarily sold to installers. The Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic 5w40 MST will meet the Volkswagen performance standards 502.00, 505.00, and 505.01

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
The Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic 5w40 MST will meet the Volkswagen performance standards 502.00, 505.00, and 505.01

Ask them if they know why BMW and MB advise against the use of this MST oil in their gasoline engines in the US. And do they realize that this in fact means that Valvoline doesn't have a suitable oil for these engines available at the retail level.

Last edited:
The Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic 5w40 MST will meet the Volkswagen performance standards 502.00, 505.00, and 505.01

Ask them if they know why BMW and MB advise against the use of this MST oil in their gasoline engines in the US. And do they realize that this in fact means that Valvoline doesn't have a suitable oil for these engines available at the retail level.

+1
I think they should bring the 5W40 HST to the retail level.

Are those specs pre-ethanol??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back