Originally Posted By: Milkman
Wow...$9.00 a quart ???

That would fly off the shelves up here.
wink.gif

Valvoline Australia
Synpower 0W-40
Sizes: 5L, 208L
Approvals and Performance
API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4, Meets requirements of: BMW LL-98, MB 229.3, 229.1, VW 502.00, 505.00, Porsche.

These are the Australian specs which may differ slightly from the USA and European.

Cost for 5L around $65 AUD not on sale price.
ie approx $13 per 1L AUD.

There is NO BMW LL-01 or MB229.5 or SN however Valvoline thinks it will sell in the market to the meet customer needs.

Last edited:
Wow, after I just cornered the market on all that Castrol 0W-40.

That explains why AZ needed the shelf space.

But if I were running Valvoline, I'd feel like I needed a pack of Lucky Strikes rolled up in my t-shirt sleeve while I drove around.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

But if I were running Valvoline, I'd feel like I needed a pack of Lucky Strikes rolled up in my t-shirt sleeve while I drove around.

HAHA, those Kentuckians know how to make decent products! Corvettes, Valvoline, and bourbon! I suppose Valvoline is kind of a hillbilly brand if we were classing oil by stereotypes. It really is a great lube though!

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: SilverC6

HAHA, those Kentuckians know how to make decent products! Corvettes, Valvoline, and bourbon! I suppose Valvoline is kind of a hillbilly brand if we were classing oil by stereotypes. It really is a great lube though!

I guess I got this thing all wrong.

As an ex-Corvette owner that enjoys some fine bourbon every now and then, I need to get on the Valvoline train.

It completes the trifecta.

Thanks for getting me on the right track.

Sure, it costs $9 right now, but eventually Autozone will have a "But 5 quarts get a filter" sale, and expect to pay about $35 per package.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Oh and the fact that you'd first have to find a Unicorn
wink.gif

And is that a European Unicorn or an American one? If European, then one might prefer some vaseline that meets Porsche A40 spec as opposed to one that only meets API or ACEA.
smile.gif

Sometimes auto correct is awesome! I think I'll be running the A6 on that magical vaseline from now on, since Porsche thinks so highly of it.

It baffles me why would Ashalnd bring into the market a product which is neither competitive in terms of pricing or specs against already established players (M1/Castrol). All that effort only to bring a product which at best is going to be 3rd place holder with a repulsive price and only meeting archaic specs!

T6 5W40 can be had for better price!

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Oh and the fact that you'd first have to find a Unicorn
wink.gif

And is that a European Unicorn or an American one? If European, then one might prefer some vaseline that meets Porsche A40 spec as opposed to one that only meets API or ACEA.
smile.gif

Sometimes auto correct is awesome!

This wasn't auto correct. I meant what I wrote, in response to OVERKILL's comment on getting raped.
smile.gif

Pardon my crooked sense of humor.

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
It baffles me why would Ashalnd bring into the market a product which is neither competitive in terms of pricing or specs against already established players (M1/Castrol). All that effort only to bring a product which at best is going to be 3rd place holder with a repulsive price and only meeting archaic specs!

Well, they pretty much did the same thing with "NextGen"
21.gif

Synpower 0w40 is MB 229.5 approved, according to MB's website.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

All that effort only to bring a product which at best is going to be 3rd place holder with a repulsive price and only meeting archaic specs!

Archaic specs? If this US product meets the same specs as the European version, then I'd say these specs are current and on par with M1 0w-40, Castrol Edge 0w-40, and PP/PU 5w-40...

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/uploadedFiles/5417.pdf

If we are getting the same Euro product then I take my words back, just from specs alone it looks very similar to BC's specs. Now the price and availability will determine how well it plays in the market but I assume this product will mostly be used by Valvoline express oil change shops for Euro cars!

Archaic Spec Meeting Prod's: Liquimoly & Syntec 5w40

Asked Ashland for the TDS for this new Synpower 0w-40. They replied they're working on it. It should be up on their website in the next couple of weeks.

Asked Ashland for the TDS for this new Synpower 0w-40. They replied they're working on it. It should be up on their website in the next couple of weeks.

Seems like all they have to do is put the European PDF document Quattro already cited above. It looks fine, and I'm assuming the U.S. version is going to have the same SN/LL-01/229.5 set of qualifications good for BMW-Mercedes-Etc. in the U.S.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Seems like all they have to do is put the European PDF document Quattro already cited above.

In a corporate world, things are never this easy.
smile.gif

My guess is they want to merge these 0w-40 specs into their master Synpower.pdf that contains info on all other Synpower grades. BTW, that document is 4 years old. It's about time someone gave it a refresh.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Yeah, I noticed the flash seems low. Interesting the difference between "melting point" and "pour point" is almost 10C eh?

Like I said, not worth of $9 a quart. It is questionable whether it is worth of looking at it next to m1 and Gc for the same price.
Most importantly, do not know NOACK and HTHS.

We know the oil has a NOACK no higher than 10 percent (requirement for MB 229.5) and the HTHS is at least 3.5 cSt (requirement for ACEA A3,MB 229.5, Porsche A40 and VW 502.00)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back