Valvoline 0W40 spotted at AutoZone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas

Can you expand on the phrase 'euro oils'? Valvoline isn't a European company, and 0w40 is worldwide, so what makes valvoline 0w40 european? Being on sale here?

Valvoline sells in Europe oils made by Valvoline Ashland in Netherlands. So somehow it also makes it a European company
smile.gif

So Redline is a euro oil then, along with Mobil, Castrol, Petronas and Fuchs, Millers, Motul, Amsoil and just about every other blender & bottler out there..

Only real difference is we have better quality fuel so need less TBN to deal with the sulfur yu suffer from, consequently longer OCI are possible.

So Redline is a euro oil then, along with Mobil, Castrol, Petronas and Fuchs, Millers, Motul, Amsoil and just about every other blender & bottler out there..

1. Redline oils don't meet Euro mfg specifications.

2. I was referring to specific products that meet these specs, not entire companies. So, for example, we have a ton of Mobil oils here, but only their M1 0w-40 (plus a couple of the hard to find ESP grades) is what I would call a Euro oil. It's also designated as "European Formula" on the label, but that's just from a marketing perspective. Another example: Castrol 0w-40 and 0w-30. All the other Castrol products here do not meet Euro mfg specs.

All European manufacturers have different specs, the only unified Europe wide specs are those designated by the ACEA.

I get the feeling you know exactly what I meant, but are being difficult for no particular reason. Let's just leave it at that.

Pick up a bottle of any old 5w-30 oil here in the store, and you will not find a single mention of any Euro mfg spec. Over here it's all about API/ILSAC. Anything targeted at Euro engines is a rarity. That was my point.

Quote:

Redline claim VW, Audi and BMW
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=2&pcid=21

It's a difference between "recommended for/suitable for" vs. "meets". Redline oils don't have official Euro mfg approvals.

I'm not being difficult I just want clarification. Unfortunately people very often think it is ok to say one thing when they mean something else and expect people to be able to interpret them correctly. It would be much easier if people were to state, explicitly, exactly what they mean.

I'm not being difficult, Im clarifying. Autism makes me do it. Please don't discriminate against me.

On your logic, this euro formula oil is not a euro formula. Is my supposition correct?
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=12304

Wether you would or wouldn't is at your own discretion, but I'd still like you to tell me if you consider Redline Euro Formula to be a Euro Formula? As a closed question, a simple yes or no answer is required.
Thanks

One more permutation has just occurred to me:

Is the European marque still considered European if it is built in America, by American staff, and sold by a company who puts the revenue into an American banking institution?

Similar premise for 'japanese' cars built in the US...if the only link to the other country is the brand name, what nationality do you consider the car to have?

Wether you would or wouldn't is at your own discretion, but I'd still like you to tell me if you consider Redline Euro Formula to be a Euro Formula? As a closed question, a simple yes or no answer is required.

I personally only consider oils that officially meet mfg specifications. So in this case, my answer is no. Others of course may feel different, and that's fine by me.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I personally only consider oils that officially meet mfg specifications. So in this case, my answer is no. Others of course may feel different, and that's fine by me.

Thankyou for clarifying that for me
smile.gif
crosspond terminology can be a bit tricky sometimes.
Is there a reason you disregard oils that meet ACEA spec?

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils/synpower/cid(805)/synpower_5w-
Originally Posted By: volodymyr
In fact in Europe we also have Valvoline SynPower 0W-40 for more or less the same price however it has a shy specs:

API SJ/CF
ACEA A3-98, B3-98, B4-98
BMW LL-98
MB-229.3*
VW 501.01 (5/2000)

I don't understand who would buy API SJ oil for the price they are offering ...

Last edited:
One more permutation has just occurred to me:

Is the European marque still considered European if it is built in America, by American staff, and sold by a company who puts the revenue into an American banking institution?

Similar premise for 'japanese' cars built in the US...if the only link to the other country is the brand name, what nationality do you consider the car to have?

It depends IMO. For example I consider European Ford to be a truly European company because their cars are designed and manufactured in Europe with Euro standards, and with European buyers in mind. Same goes for Opel.
On others hand KIA have plants in Slovakia, but I still consider it as Korean manufacturer simply because cars are still designed in Korea.

Last edited:
Is there a reason you disregard oils that meet ACEA spec?

The VW/MB/BMW specs are baselined on ACEA, but then go beyond and thus surpass ACEA requirements in many aspects. So it's not that I disregard ACEA. I just hold Euro vehicle mfg specs in higher regard than ACEA.

Ok, perhaps I took you too literally when you said:

I personally only consider oils that officially meet mfg specifications.

Am I to understand you would use an oil that meets ACEA spec but does not meet any mfg spec?

This is why I struggle when people do not state, explicitly, exactly what they mean. Thankyou for your patience.

Am I to understand you would use an oil that meets ACEA spec but does not meet any mfg spec?

This is why I struggle when people do not state, explicitly, exactly what they mean. Thankyou for your patience.

EDIT: QP is saying, I think, that he would use oil that meets mfg specifications since some are much more stringent than ACEA.
ACEA is very ambiguous.
Take ACEA C3. Both MB 229.51 and BMW LL-04 meet C3. However, also VW 504.00/507.00 meets C3. But 504.00/507.00 is much more stringent then MB 229.51 and BMW LL-04.

Last edited:

Use in what? If you want me to be specific, then you need to be specific as well.

If I have a car for which the owner's manual only calls for some ACEA spec, then I'd have no problem using an oil that only meets that ACEA spec but no mfg specs.

If, on the other hand, I have a car for which the owner's manual calls for a specific mfg spec (majority of modern European cars today) such as MB 229.5, then I would NOT use an oil that only meets ACEA spec.

In reality, I will always choose an oil meeting MB 229.5 spec over an oil that only meets ACEA A3/B4 because over here they cost the same. So I am most likely getting a better product for the same money if I choose an oil meeting MB 229.5 spec.

I'm not sure why this such an issue and why it is being taken well beyond your initial question on what is a "Euro oil" which QP clearly answered
21.gif

We are now discussing QP's buying habits and personal lubricant choice, a bit of a detour from what defines a Euro Oil, no?

In the owners manual for your European car, it will tell you to use an oil meeting LL-01, or 229.5 or A40....etc. This is above and beyond the ACEA spec the product will likely also carry. This is what QP is looking for, this is what the manufacturer is telling you to look for. Following this (the manufacturer's requirements) is what is being advocating.

Also, your question above, at least regarding oils sold in the North American market, what is your point? The major oils targeting European vehicles on sale here all have several OEM approvals above and beyond the ACEA spec. I don't believe I've ever seen an oil that JUST had the ACEA spec on it. It is like asking if he'd ride a Unicorn with the noted caveat that your horse saddle isn't going to fit it correctly and there is the chance that it will impale or rape you. Maybe even both
smirk.gif
Oh and the fact that you'd first have to find a Unicorn
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Oh and the fact that you'd first have to find a Unicorn
wink.gif

And is that a European Unicorn or an American one? If European, then one might prefer some vaseline that meets Porsche A40 spec as opposed to one that only meets API or ACEA.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back