Value proposition of manual impact versus gun

JHZR2

Staff member
This kind:

IMG_4140.jpeg

Primarily for the removal of screws.

I own air and electric square drive impact guns, and I own construction type impact drivers. But this seems to me that it may be good for screws because of the potential for more “straight through” force into the screw and its slot/phillips hole, versus just a lot of torque which is what you get from the guns.

But a good one is a decent amount of money ($30-80), and I have gotten by so far…

Is this a “must own” for some circumstances?

I use mine for screws, anything I can get a socket on gets a ratchet, breaker bar, or impact gun.

I have one of these, Mac Tools brand. It was pricey. I have used it a few times over the years, usually with larger phillips fasteners. It has worked flawlessly. I also use impact devices on most fasteners. It really is on a case by case basis and your judgement is paramount.
20240208_121555.jpg

Last edited:
Like others said, screws. The downward force seems the prevent cam out. I can't press down as hard on an air gun, as a 4lb hammer will on impact.

Some people actually use these then, huh?!? lol…
Yea. I used mine for stuck on rotors that had screws to keep them in place as they made it down the assembly line. Only when I was too lazy to grab my drill to drill out the screw holding them on. I had a few other uses but in all honesty they slip my mind at the moment. It's not a must have tool, but it does come in handy once in a blue moon.

have had my manual impact for close to 30 years. only time i use it is for honda brake disc retaining screws.

I have a 1/2" . I bought it at least 50 yrs ago. It worked well. I don't have any powered percussion tools I used it on the big screws holding car doors etc. :cool:

Could the manual one be sufficient to loosen a very tight water heater anode rod or would the hammer impact damage the tank?

Could the manual one be sufficient to loosen a very tight water heater anode rod or would the hammer impact damage the tank?
I think most tanks are glass lined....might be better with a rotary hammer drill versus an impact style. Who knows? Try a propane torch and a pipe wrench would be my suggestion.

I have had one for many years. (like 50) and have used it maybe 50 times, but they are great when needed. I now have 2 of them, don't remember how I seem to have inherited the second one. I think my original is a 3/8 and the other is 1/2 drive.

How much you value your time? If one or two whacks with a hammer can loosen a stuck screw, I don't see anything beat that for $20 or so. Not a must have but a nice to have.

Mostly for hyundai brake disc retainer screws here.... I see a theme there

Have only needed it for captive brake rotors, or really tough screws. It sits idle 99.9% of the time.

This kind:

View attachment 202500

Primarily for the removal of screws.

I own air and electric square drive impact guns, and I own construction type impact drivers. But this seems to me that it may be good for screws because of the potential for more “straight through” force into the screw and its slot/phillips hole, versus just a lot of torque which is what you get from the guns.

But a good one is a decent amount of money ($30-80), and I have gotten by so far…

Is this a “must own” for some circumstances?
This is a must own for tight Phillips head screws.

There is simply no better way to get a tight Phillips head loose without the screw “camming out” or getting messed up.

Back in the day when my 1973 Yamaha cases, and oil pump and magneto cover, were Phillips head screws, I bought one of these.

There is no screwdriver combination in the world that is as effective at removing tight, or corroded, Phillips head screws

On my tight phillips head screws I apply a little lefty-loosey power with one hand and a normal screwdriver while hitting the handle with a hammer with the other. If the screw is stuck with rust, the percussion helps loosen it. If it's not coming out, I dont't think an impact driver would get it, either.

I have a snap-on screwdriver with 10mm (or 3/8) flats that will fit a box end wrench if I want to put a lil' more on it.

How much you value your time? If one or two whacks with a hammer can loosen a stuck screw, I don't see anything beat that for $20 or so. Not a must have but a nice to have.

Mostly for hyundai brake disc retainer screws here.... I see a theme there
Well a good US made one is more like $65-85.

On my tight phillips head screws I apply a little lefty-loosey power with one hand and a normal screwdriver while hitting the handle with a hammer with the other. If the screw is stuck with rust, the percussion helps loosen it. If it's not coming out, I dont't think an impact driver would get it, either.

I have a snap-on screwdriver with 10mm (or 3/8) flats that will fit a box end wrench if I want to put a lil' more on it.

That has typically been my approach, but if I understand these correctly, it attempts to turn the screw by transferring some of the “hit” force into rotation. Perfectly orchestrated.

I use them quite a bit for rotor screws, old MC cases and covers, car door locks and strikers, I wouldn't be without one.
Koken makes a nice one for the right money, not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

Back