VA Safety inspection woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Bronco just failed inspection today because the passenger side headlight/signal assembly was loose, according the the service manager. They wanted $450 to fix it. I inserted duct tape around the headlight lower trim so it would secure the signal light, which is cracked on the lower portion on the inside. The outside is perfect and the lights are clearly visible. But I guess the economy has shops pulling new tricks to scam people.

I went to AAP and Autozone to order the headlight bucket, which the service manager describe as the part he will be replacing. Both places have no clue what was wrong with the lights or the assembly. It is secured and the lights work. Additionally, they indicate that headlight bucket is the housing of the headlight, which is not the problem I have. The problem I have is that the front fascia is cracked and wouldn't secure the signal light assembly if I didn't have duct tape rolled up on the inside to function as double-side tape.

To my knowledge, even crack lights( with exception of headlights) would pass inspection if the crack is not at the center and the glass/plastic is patch properly with light duct tape. Therefore, I think this shop is trying to rip me off. While I was there, all vehicle coming in for inspection receive a call that they need x-y-z to pass inspection. Most people comply, some just say forget about it and will fix it themselves.

I looked up the signal light assembly and it's 16 dollars, not $450 item and it should take a mechanic more than 15 minutes to replace it.

My question to you guys is: Can lights be secured by duct tape as long as the tape is not visible? That means the tape is not covering the lights and does not affect visibility. I am taking it to another shop, a place I know that haven't rip me off before. I didn't use this shop because it is very far away and I am always busy, except on weekend and holiday; therefore, I had to go to a place near me. I didn't go to a tire place that do inspection because I know they would try to sell me tires.

Is it a common practice for shops to do inspection as a way to force unnecessary repairs down customers' throat. Is state safety inspection a catch-all scam?

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
Is state safety inspection a catch-all scam?

Yes. Yes it is when the inspectors also "fix" cars. A clear conflict of interest that should be illegal.

I have a feeling that taking it somewhere else will cost you nothing more than what ever they charge for the inspection based on your description of the light.

If you really want to jury rig it there are probably ways to drill holes in the back then feed bungee cord or something even further back like to your inner fender.

Or you can get universal metal strapping and JB weld.

You are correct that you want this stuff in back where it can't be seen.

Now was your failure entered into a statewide computer system? Can you now go to another shop or will they know about the first one's declaration of failure?

This style bronco, IIRC, has first gen aero headlights that basically take the place of sealed beams. So there may be vestigial "buckets" behind them that are part of the setup. Worst case you can hit a junkyard or ebay, even $45 would be a lot to pay if you DIY with used parts.

I hold a Maine inspection license and we have one overarching general rule that "all equipment on the vehicle must be securely attached to the vechicle." You can try calling the authority having jurisdiction over inspection garages but they are likely to side on the no-duct-tape.

It's a big scam in the hands of unscrupulous shops. We have the same mandatory safety/emissions inspections here in NY. It's a great money-maker for shops replacing a burned-out bulb for $30-40 when it takes them 5 minutes. Or selling wheel cylinders and a brake fluid flush for older cars with rear drum brakes that conveniently "leak" when on the lift.

That being said, it's a nice thing to know that the car heading towards you on a wet day is likely to have enough tread and brake pad left to stop safely. There are always the folks who skate through on 3/32" of tread and 3 mm of brake pad left and let it go until next year's inspection.

Take it to a shop you trust. And please, fix that light!

either fix it yourself or have someone else fix it dont let them touch it
Next time you have to get an inspection tell the person that is doing it that if he finds anything wrong let you know because a family member is an auto mechanic

in New Jersey they dont have any mechanical inspection anymore just the emission test basically if your check engine light is off on a 96 or newer gas car or lite truck you pretty much pass they dont care if your is unsafe...they did this to save money which is a bad thing i believe the inspections save lives

Is it affecting the headlight aiming? In most states misaimed headlights would cause it to fail.

Here in Texas there are shops that only do state inspections and nothing else, if you need it fixed you have to go elsewhere. These are the ones I try to use when possible. I found a great one last week that I will definitely be going back to:

http://alansinspections.com/

It does not affect the way the headlight is aiming. The part that is broken is the lower housing of the signal light. The back area broke off so there is no place to screw it to the frame. I rolled duct tape in addition to filling the gap between the headlight bottom and the upper portion of the signal light housing with silicon. The entire assembly is very rigid, as rigid a the other side.

What I wanted him to tell me was that I need a brake flush/bleed. The vehicle has sat for over a year and the fluid is dark.

I can accept safety fix but nitpicking about lights when they are obviously have new bulbs (I replaced all bulbs except license plate bulbs when I bought the vehicle last month) and the aim is correct. Again, there is no functional defect, just a cosmetic defect of a fascia frame cracked on the bottom. I highly doubt they actually know the signal light housing is broken on the lower portion because they would have to pull it out to check and they can't do that without ripping the duct tape and silicone patching I have. This is simply a scam to sell me a 16 dollars housing for $450 dollars.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Here in Texas there are shops that only do state inspections and nothing else, if you need it fixed you have to go elsewhere. These are the ones I try to use when possible. I found a great one last week that I will definitely be going back to:

http://alansinspections.com/

In VA, very few shops do inspection and they usually are the one selling you tires or those catch-all shops. In smaller town where there aren't many shop and business is good, chances are shops are less likely to have to resort to upselling. I notice a owner of this shop kept bouncing in and out. At first, I thought it was a customer using a restroom but then he stayed in there for a long time then bounced around the bay area smoking pulling work sheet. He was in street clothes and look like a typical mafia boss. Added this to the fact that every vehicle coming in for inspection got a call for services, I think it is reasonable to believe that they have a scam going.

It should be that shops can only do inspection and nothing else. I don't mind paying more for inspection but I do mind being rip-off.

Call the state police if you feel your getting scammed, they take inspection fraud seriously. Best to tell the shop owner that you are calling, if he is scamming you I doubt he wants trooper bolton breathing down his neck.
Mike

Go to another inspector. You don't want a trooper involved.

It's true the trooper will insure the ethical integrity of the inspector, but they are both on the same team and he could easily side with that inspector.

Now you know what you have to do to correct the ticketable defects so do what is needed to do to to secure the light fixture.

Originally Posted By: willix
Go to another inspector. You don't want a trooper involved.

It's true the trooper will insure the ethical integrity of the inspector, but they are both on the same team and he could easily side with that inspector.

Now you know what you have to do to correct the ticketable defects so do what is needed to do to to secure the light fixture.

The light fixture is extremely secure and no duct tape is visible. I mean, the goal is to have a correct aiming and functional lights and this is what I have. I drive DIY vehicles by choice and this is actually my hunt truck. It needs not to be cosmotically pleasant but everything (except the license plate lights being replaced tomorrow) are in working order.

I work all the time so I don't have the time sit around and wait for shops to take their sweet time to get things fix and come up with new gimmicks. I can fix most minor stuffs in in the evening with help from you guys.

By the way, the parts that broke are below and not the headlight bucket as stated in on the rejection sticker:

Crack on the bottom right corner
7795.jpg

Cracked on the bottom of the inside portion and the yellow lens is in perfect condition
12-1469-01.jpg

If you are being rejected wrongly then call the State police, thats what they do, investigate inspection complaints.

If you are wrong and the shop is right then get it Fixed, or scrape the pink sticker off and try another shop.
Mike

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Now was your failure entered into a statewide computer system?

The VA safety inspection program is not quite that sophisticated. The only way any other shop would know that it failed would be due to the rejection sticker.

NY is. It's all entered into a central database in Albany, IIRC.

Sometimes the same shop that failed you will re-inspect for free if they're feeling nice that day. The shops that did that seem to be more "honest" than shops that charge for re-inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back