V-Power sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I simply don't use it because around here, it is usually the most expensive gas in town, by about 5 to 10 cents per gallon.

So much for more advanced as well...
shocked.gif

Same here.

I usually fill up at the 7-11/Citgo across the steet from the Shell station. Two weeks ago, the Citgo signs came down and the pumps now have a sticker that reads that the pumps won't take Citgo CC's anymore. They still do as of yesterday.
confused.gif

Last edited:
Shell V power used to make my car run bad.
Now, it gets me the best mpg , smoothness, and power. BP premium is good, too.
[I needed fuel and tried it again.]
Maybe I found a station that has pure gas, with no or less alcohol than others - who knows?

Around here gas stations don't have an 89 octane fuel tank. Only 87 and 91. When pumping 89 you are geting a mixture of 87 and 91. If the station runs out of 87 or 91 you cannot buy whatever they are out of OR mid-grade. And I haven't seen 93 octane for many years.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
There is only 2 types of gas sold here. the 87 and 91 (RON+MON/2). the 89 is mixed at the pumps from 50% 87 and 50% 91.

\

Do you know for a fact 50% 87 and 50% 91 makes 89?
I read somewhere that it took less of the 91 to bump 87 up to 89.
Something like 60% 87 and 40% 91 made 89.....
Wish I could find that info again...off to look some more....

I don't think i've ever had an issue with my Vpower purchases. I usually fill the roadmaster up at 1 of the 4 local shell stations. With all the datalogging I do on my car, I don't think there's ever been an instance that I've logged showing sluggish performance because of fill choice (ie a lot of spark retard).

Over here in Los Angeles we can't be too picky cuz the gas price is so high!!! Shell gas is going for $2.50/gallon currently and BP Arco is only $3.05/gallon so go figure what gas I'm gonna buy.

Shell needs to get their act together cuz no one in their right mind ill buy that expensive gas over BP's price wether it's sluggish or not.

I've noticed myself that BP Arco gas is pretty now that it is owned by BP themselves compared to when it was run by Arco.

Durango

$2.50 is [censored] cheap. The Murphy gas here I use is $2.71 and thats the cheapest in town.

Yeah, the "cheap" gas here in Pittsburgh is at a min 2.95 for 87. Generally, I am seeing it 2.99-3.09..... Better than 3.30 something I guess.

Yet I am not really complaining. I am the one who bought a V8 Crown victoria for daily commuting and everything.

BP is still my favorite gas. But its usually a nickel higher than everyone else.
Although I DID finally find a Citgo station that isn't garbage gas.

Sorry guys/gals!!! I meant Shell gas is going for $3.50/gallon and NOT the cheap/inexpensive $2.50/gallon I reported earlier. My bad.

Again Shell gas is extremly high here in Los Angeles so one of the best is BP's Arco which is going for $3.05/gallon.

Valero gas is one of Arco's competitor and can sell their gas for slightly cheaper sometimes.

Now that the gas companies are selling off the winter gas for the summer version guess how much it'll go then???

Get ready for the riots.

Durango

Last edited:
I've tried all the Top Tier gasolines available in our area (Shell, Petro-Canada and Sunoco), and my Sentra runs best on Shell V-Power. Not that it runs bad on the others, but it just seems better on the Shell fuel.

In the last six months whenever I get a tank of V-Power my engine performance drops very noticeably, as does my fuel economy. I've been running Esso with better results. I use FP to keep things clean(er) so I'm not too upset about the top tier business.

Unfortunate but true.

Of course all of our fuel is TERRIBLE here compared to anywhere in the States it seems.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I find NO difference (seat of the pants/placebo OR statistically MPG wise) between any of the brands of fuel I run here. I use Shell mostly now, as it is the cheapest after the 5% CC rebate.

The same with me. I have both the Shell and BP cards that give 5% off fuel. That's $0.15 off / gallon. So even if Shell is a penny or two higher than the station across the street, it's still cheaper.

I like Shell's program better than BP. They credit my card, while BP makes me get a gift card mailed to me when I reach $25 in rebates.

I love BP/Amoco Ultimate 93. BP stations are not very common in Arkansas,but in Hot Springs two Exxon stations converted to BP. My wife and I go over there pretty regularly,so I'm excited! I alwasy run the BP Ultimate when we're away on vacation.

I've had pretty good luck with Valero. My vehicles run well on it,and it's usually among the lowest priced gas brands here. On Tuesdays,The Crackerbox chain of of Valero stations sells premium for the price of regular. We will occasionally be over there and score some cheap premium.

The jury is still out on V-Power. My wife filled her car up with it because I was afraid gas was about to jump big time. The Shell station is the closest to us so I told her to just go there. We haven't run any V-Power in a while,so we'll see how it goes.

For tiny town, we have 27 gas station within a 10 miles radius of my casa. there is a shell 2 miles away that is always 7 cents higher than everyone else and there is citgo .5 mile away with valero and wawa across the street from it. i used to pump citgo until some dude said citgo quality is low so i stick mainly with shell as it has always been my favorite. i did notice that i get low mileage with it (24 vs. 25.5 with others) but driving dynamics and trip type can always plan a role as well as how each station program its auto full click setting. anyway, i stick with shell 87 now and can't tell the difference from anything else. my mileage isn't what it used to be but that could be because of the new gas formulation taken place a year or so ago with 10% bshet added.

unfortunately, we don't have any chevron around here and the texaco station was burned down by an ex-employee so we are out of luck. the funny thing is that i notice our price is the same as maryland price now even starting 6 months ago. we used to be 20 cents cheaper than them.

as of right now, we are 3.05 all around except for one shell station with 3.09, but that place is alway high and it is the only one out of 27 stations that close @ 8 pm and open at 9 a.m. while everyone else is 24/7. it is also a smallest station w/ only 2 pumps and is part of a cigarette outlet post.

Last edited:
I have been using shell gasoline and oil since 1985(my dad owned 3 stations)After he sold them I have tried other fuels but still go out of my way to buy shell.I get better mpg,power and idle. Often I will stike up a conversation with someone at the pumps and they always say they too get better mpg on shell.Even the women that runs the station say's people say all the time how their cars run better on shell.Back in the 80's I remember a few people coming in to the station and saying my car doesent run good on shell but for every 1 there was 100 that said the opposite.as for me , I will always run shell!!

Only gas my Vech does not like is sunoco ultra 94.

Any other brand of prem gas runs about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back