USS Omaha LCS-12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HM12460
A bit off topic here in this thread, but what exactly is the combat mission of the new LCS class of warships? I ask that you who know forgive my lack of knowledge on this one. I spent a lot of time on the now gone DD-963 Spruance class destroyer's and CG-47 Ticonderoga class Aegis cruiser's.

Aha spru-cans and ticos. I was on the ex-foster not too long ago. Too bad three ticos are tied up awaiting their fate.

LCS was supposed to be a reconfigurable, multi-mission platform. It's fairly small, well powered (Rolls MT-30 powered), and has some reservations to do some good stuff, but there are enough challenges to make it tough to foresee a huge benefit this iteration, IMO. The reclassification as a frigate (seems to me more like a corvette) is also interesting.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
A bit off topic here in this thread, but what exactly is the combat mission of the new LCS class of warships? I ask that you who know forgive my lack of knowledge on this one. I spent a lot of time on the now gone DD-963 Spruance class destroyer's and CG-47 Ticonderoga class Aegis cruiser's.

It would be a lot more useful in the Strait of Hormuz than a large ship, and with two helicopters, can do just about any mission assigned to it, as long as it involves hauling less than 3000 tons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back