Freedom Littoral Combat Ships Tapped for Decommissioning...

Freedom Littoral Combat Ships in Commission Tapped for Early Disposal​

The ships – USS Fort Worth (LCS-3), USS Milwaukee (LCS-5), USS Detroit (LCS-7), USS Little Rock (LCS-9), USS Sioux City (LCS-11), USS Wichita (LCS-13), USS Billings (LCS-15), USS Indianapolis (LCS-17), and USS St. Louis (LCS-19)
USS St Louis was commissioned on August 08, 2020, and three more are under construction....

With the failure to fund the multi mission modules, and the subsequent failure of the mine sweeping gear, this was inevitable.
Time to put a white elephant out to pasture.....

FY 23 Budget: Navy Wants to Shed 24 Ships for $3.6B in Savings Over Next Five Years

What a waste. My first ship was built in 1943 and forty years later when it was sold to a south American navy as a small cargo ship it would still do 14 kts. with a strong breeze from astern. Ships today are floating electronic/computer technical experiment platforms. Not many will still be commissioned after forty years of service.

Maybe the coast guard would be interested?
But these are actually too large and therefore too expensive to run for the Coast Guard' classic mission.
Then again "litorral" = near the Coast..

Maybe the coast guard would be interested?
But these are actually too large and therefore too expensive to run for the Coast Guard' classic mission.
Then again "litorral" = near the Coast..

The Coast Guard would never touch those. They have the NSCs which have turned out to be very good ships that go all around the world.

Just for comparison, this is the USCGC Confidence WMEC 619. Launched in 1966. I served on her in 1976-77. She endured her first 15 or so years in Alaska getting tossed and rolled. Now she is in Florida, still going strong running patrols on both sides of the Americas.

I didn't read deeply on the ASW mission of these Freedom Littoral Combat Ships to be decommissioned. They seem to be a bit related to an extended and frequent ASW evals that I was involved with on the unsuited USS Guam, LPH-9. Jan 1972 through June 1974. Known as the Interim Sea Control Ship Concept. The idea was initiated by the CNO, Admiral Zumwalt. The concept was deemed to be successfully disproved. SH-3G/H ASW helos paired with AV-8A Harrier jump jets.

245139562_125014536561533_3976221478247471780_n - Copy.jpg

They sure are durable. They do ride rough though. We rolled the Connie 65° over in the Aleutians. She took a few moments to decide if she wanted to come back upright.
That's too close for comfort! Glad that it worked out. On the round-bottomed Guam in the N. Atlantic/Arctic, we came within 1 degree of capsizing in a storm.

I didn't read deeply on the ASW mission of these Freedom Littoral Combat Ships to be decommissioned. They seem to be a bit related to an extended and frequent ASW evals that I was involved with on the unsuited USS Guam, LPH-9. Jan 1972 through June 1974. Known as the Interim Sea Control Ship Concept. The idea was initiated by the CNO, Admiral Zumwalt. The concept was deemed to be successfully disproved. SH-3G/H ASW helos paired with AV-8A Harrier jump jets.

View attachment 94622
Z-gram.

What a waste. My first ship was built in 1943 and forty years later when it was sold to a south American navy as a small cargo ship it would still do 14 kts. with a strong breeze from astern. Ships today are floating electronic/computer technical experiment platforms. Not many will still be commissioned after forty years of service.
what ship was it?

Freedom Littoral Combat Ships in Commission Tapped for Early Disposal​

The ships – USS Fort Worth (LCS-3), USS Milwaukee (LCS-5), USS Detroit (LCS-7), USS Little Rock (LCS-9), USS Sioux City (LCS-11), USS Wichita (LCS-13), USS Billings (LCS-15), USS Indianapolis (LCS-17), and USS St. Louis (LCS-19)
USS St Louis was commissioned on August 08, 2020, and three more are under construction....

With the failure to fund the multi mission modules, and the subsequent failure of the mine sweeping gear, this was inevitable.
Time to put a white elephant out to pasture.....

FY 23 Budget: Navy Wants to Shed 24 Ships for $3.6B in Savings Over Next Five Years
If the Littoral class is to be scrapped (sadly), hopefully the huge Fairbanks Morse PA6B main propulsion engines can be sold to power other marine vessels, or used as stationary power generation engines. They are usually very reliable engines with proper operation and maintenance.

Back