Using more then before oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is a 1991 Lincoln Town car,4.6,147K. Previous oil used was Mobil 1 5W-20, using 1QT every 5K. Switched to Amsoil 0W-20(ASM) and down 1QT in 1.3K! Valve-stem seals are good and no visual leaks either. Am I using to thin of an oil? Or does the motor have to "settle in" with using a different grade of oil?

johnny

L-Johnny, I've noticed this with the M1 0W20 someone gave me awhile back in my Hyundai. Weird thing, I did the OCI from PP that had 6500 miles on it, did a 750 mile road trip up and down I-81 on the 0W20 and was down 1/2 quart (to the full line). I just got up to Boston (out of Northern Va.), and a couple of short trips to Richmond and back before that, I'm at about 2500 miles on this OCI and haven't burned a drop since. The level remains nailed to the full line, and the trip to Boston was rather speedy, averaging 75 or so with little blasts with the traffic well beyond that. It's darkened up faster than any OCI I've done since I got this car, but I'm not terribly concerned about that. My intention is to run this stuff for 10K unless I see thickening.

I wouldn't worry about it, Johnny unless it continues to use the oil.

It's not really a settling in, but more of a clean up phase. Assuming no mechanical issues - often times when switching, consumption will be high for the first OCI, or maybe even two.

That said - I would have steered you toward ASL 5W-30 for that engine and mileage.

Thanks for all the input. I'll continue with the 0W-20 for now(winters here in the Northeast) and see if it continues to consume oil.
johnny

I too notice a big increase in oil consumption when using Amsoil TSO 0W30. The consumption rate nearly doubles.

Standard for the car is 5W30, so there's no difference in viscosity at operating temperature between the two oils (0W30 vs 5W30).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back