Using Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil in gas cars.

I wouldn't, and don't, use Diesel oil in a gasoline engine. They are formulated for an entirely different operating and contamination environment.
If it meets SN, and your car specs SN (or lower) - then it meets spec just fine. I don't understand how this is even remotely controversial?

HDEO"s work just fine in gasoline engines.
The big push is that PCMO's have gotten thinner quicker for MPG. The ESG crowd doesn't want you to have 'oil grade' choices.

Gasoline and CNG engines in trucks can all be called "heavy duty engines". So, its not just for 'diesel'.

But shell advance ultra 4T is jaso ma2 and SN rated.
API used to allow high phosphorus levels in SN oils as long as they were 40 weight or higher, but I don't think that it has been allowed since the past year or two. Shell's Rotella line also used to have both JASO MA2 and SN designations, but the SN designation was removed recently. It could be that it will also be removed from the Ultra 4T, or maybe it has been already. I could only find a data sheet for that oil from 2019. Maybe there is an exception for motorcycle specific oils.

There are bikes that redline to 16,000 RPM off the showroom floor.

Personally, I'm not using an oil that's only formulated to control foaming at 5,000 RPM in that case.
So you’re saying that an oil for a 5-6” stroke diesel with 18:1 compression and 60+psi boost that makes 2,500+ lb-ft is always insufficient for something with a 2.5” stroke with 13.5:1 compression and no boost making 100+lb-ft even if it meets the specs for both applications?

FWIW, Rotella T6 0w40 meets specs for both Caterpillar diesels and the Godzilla of Japanese crotch rockets, the Suzuki Hayabusa:

Attachments

• 387106F9-65DE-47C6-9D86-CD85CFA5F5FE.jpeg
    387106F9-65DE-47C6-9D86-CD85CFA5F5FE.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 16
  • AE17D4F0-0507-4D65-A473-C2DCC028CC59.jpeg
    AE17D4F0-0507-4D65-A473-C2DCC028CC59.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 16
API used to allow high phosphorus levels in SN oils as long as they were 40 weight or higher, but I don't think that it has been allowed since the past year or two.
Yes, that's still the case. That's why M1 0W-40 can be both SP and have higher phosphorous.

So you’re saying that an oil for a 5-6” stroke diesel with 18:1 compression and 60+psi boost that makes 2,500+ lb-ft is always insufficient for something with a 2.5” stroke with 13.5:1 compression and no boost making 100+lb-ft even if it meets the specs for both applications?

FWIW, Rotella T6 0w40 meets specs for both Caterpillar diesels and the Godzilla of Japanese crotch rockets, the Suzuki Hayabusa:
The Busa sheet you posted requires JASO MA (obviously) and your Shell Rotella sheet does not mention JASO at all. I don't get your connection.

Can we get @Foxtrot08 in here to share that not every diesel oil is actually that great?

All depends on the oil and application.

But, if referring to the above post, all those oils fit different applications. Thus, have different performance properties.

Comparing them side by side would be more specifically… like how?

I’m more worried about the DD13 engine scuff test when it comes do HDEO. But, you’re not going to see that test generally for like.. the Euro 5w40.

Diesel oil is what runs my tractor. HDEO oil is what I put in the tractors crank case my ope and ran in my 7,500 RPM big block chevrolet. Foaming what about the powerstoke ford 7.3 engined with oil assisted injectors and turbo?

There are bikes that redline to 16,000 RPM off the showroom floor.

Personally, I'm not using an oil that's only formulated to control foaming at 5,000 RPM in that case.
Ever see the oil comming out of a turbo bearing return line?

The only catch about using HDEO in a gasoline engine is that it tends to use primary ZDDP which needs higher temperature/pressure for activation. However, I think this might apply in case the oil was Cx only and wasn't not made with Sx in mind during formulation. Just a speculation.
Gas engines can have very high oil temps. not a very good speculation.

Ever see the oil comming out of a turbo bearing return line?

Foaming is still a concern.

But again it depends on the oil. If you’re looking a 5w40, it’s going to have different anti foaming properties vs your bargain basement fleet 15w40 oil.

People running HDEO’s in PCEO applications aren’t running the cheapest of the cheap. They’re using very high end oils. Thus, formulated differently.

If you put *insert brand here* national account, fleet oil special 15w40, in a high revving bike, you’ll have a different outcome vs *insert brand here* 5w40 that is normally, a very premium product.

Back