Using car ramps to change oil/ transmission fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that many have good luck with the Rhino brand but Amazon has quite a few reviews which include busted ramps. Scurry..........

I'm still using the very old metal ramps my grandpa bought decades ago. Have held up plenty of big old 60's and 70's trucks and stuff without any problems. They are heavy though, and have clearance issues for lower cars. Bottom of front bumper on a civic might hit the ramp before the tire starts up it.

My current parking area is crushed gravel, which really complicates some DIY jobs. For oil and trans changes, I just drive the front tires onto 18" pieces of 2x6. That gives me plenty of room under a 2WD Silverado and just enough under a Vibe to get at oil filters and drain plugs and trans plugs. I also dropped the Vibe's trans pan this way.

This method, of course, depends on how big a boy you are.

I use some old steel one's that I got from my dad. I added a 2 foot long section of old tire tread from a bias ply tire to each one.

I get really good traction driving up the ramp if youve ever had your tire slip while pulling up you know how frustrating that can be.

I suggest a large drip pan under your drain pan or cardbord.

Shawn

Two thoughts. 1. Front wheel drive cars don't climb ramps well. 2. I'm having such good results with an oil extractor that I'm done with the crawl under the car stuff for fluid changes.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I had a 1978 Cadillac Eldorado. They were the huge front wheel drive boats. I pulled it up on steel ramps to change the oil and it sat there for about 5 minutes and then just collapsed and buckled the ramps-flat. I ended up getting new ramps and welding all this reinforcement steel on them. It still spooked me, since I was just getting ready to go under there. I place wood blocks under the steel part of the ramps now, I feel that would give you some time and room to escape. Even though I don't own any big Caddies now. The weight of that car was over 6500 lbs. My biggest vehicle is the Dodge and it sits high enough to service without ramps.

Wow. This is my fear alright....

What did it sound like?

Does bending steel have an eerie sound to it?

I am glad you are able to tell us about it!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Two thoughts. 1. Front wheel drive cars don't climb ramps well. 2. I'm having such good results with an oil extractor that I'm done with the crawl under the car stuff for fluid changes.

Sounds good in theory but don't you have to climb under there any way to change the filter?

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
....clearance issues for lower cars. Bottom of front bumper on a civic might hit the ramp before the tire starts up it.

I have ramp extensions that bolt onto my metal ramps. I got the ramps on sale - good for me! But then I couldn't get the BMW on them due to clearance problems - so I had to buy ramp extensions - which cost more than the ramps!

All in, I paid too much but they paid for themselves the first time I used them.

Ramps are awesome just because every time i jack the unibody or pinch weld i wear the paint just a little which could lead to rust. The car's resting on its suspension normally and at peace.

Front wheel drive cars don't climb ramps well.

How could they NOT be good at that?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I had a 1978 Cadillac Eldorado. They were the huge front wheel drive boats. I pulled it up on steel ramps to change the oil and it sat there for about 5 minutes and then just collapsed and buckled the ramps-flat. I ended up getting new ramps and welding all this reinforcement steel on them. It still spooked me, since I was just getting ready to go under there. I place wood blocks under the steel part of the ramps now, I feel that would give you some time and room to escape. Even though I don't own any big Caddies now. The weight of that car was over 6500 lbs. My biggest vehicle is the Dodge and it sits high enough to service without ramps.

Wow. This is my fear alright....

What did it sound like?

Does bending steel have an eerie sound to it?

I am glad you are able to tell us about it!
No squealing or cracking. It went down. one went straight down and one bent over to the side, but both were crushed and mangled past all repair. I think those steel ramps are bent for strength, once the bend starts to straighten over to the point it just relaxes and straightens out. The metal bent around on the bottom are the real strength and its not that much metal. The ones I built after that had cross braces and also stops on the front to stop from driving off the front of the edge. Like I said, I put wooden blocks under the ramps, so if they did sag they would go down and hit the wood block and stop. I wouldnt trust Rhino Ramps a lot. Bad thing about composite or plastic, you think its strong until its not.

Ramps, including plastic ramps, are perfectly safe to use as long as you know what they are rated for, how heavy your car is, and are used correctly.

The problem is that 'used correctly' means different things to different people. You also need to be able to realize when they are rusted or fatigued and should not be used anymore.

1. They don't? Funny, neither of out Hondas seem to have any trouble nor does our Focus.
2. Do tell. Where is the oil filter located on this machine?
This would work with the old BMW or either of the Subarus, though, since the 318i has its cannister located up top and you don't need to lift either Subie to change oil or filter, although you'd still need to lay on your back to get to the oil filter.

I understand that many have good luck with the Rhino brand but Amazon has quite a few reviews which include busted ramps. Scurry..........

They can crack. I've seen them cracked before. Got a set out of the trash that was cracked. The company will replace them FREE OF CHARGE. They don't want you climbing under a car with cracked ramps, so they replace them.

I have the Rhino Ramps and trust them. I think the plastic scares some people. However, I have not heard of any law suits regarding Rhino Ramps. They seem very well built.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

confused.gif

I've had a bit of a problem with the Accord when there's snow. Even though the drive is pretty well snow free, the tires seem to hold snow and slip a bit on the ramps. Nothing serious but noticeable.

It doesn't happen with the BMW. It's likely that the steel ramps are a bit slippery compared to the concrete drive.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

confused.gif

One time I saw a FWD car spin the wheel on a ramp, shoot the ramp under the middle of the car and bend the rocker panel. I've seen slight overshoots where the wheel is just over the end of the ramp and the front edge of the ramp is tilted up against the bottom of the fender.

For safety, if I fail to climb the ramp on the first try, I back down, check everything and try again, I don't gun it while on the ramp.

I've seen stuff go wrong with hydraulic jacks and jack stands, too. And the old bumper jacks, now seen mainly on lifted Jeeps.

In short there's no bad system, some work better than others for certain cars, and there is always something that can go wrong.

Ramps + stands seem like the best option to me, but just ramps seems a heck of a lot safer than just a jack. I don't recall any stories about serious injuries or deaths with proper use of ramps. On the other hand, there have been many injuries and deaths from working under cars supported by just a jack. Most of the complaints about broken ramps I can find seem to involve improper use (such as not stopping in time or using them on an improper surface).

A bit OT, but a frequently watched mechanic who posts videos on YouTube actually suggested that it was OK to get under a car supported by just a jack. I hope nobody is injured or killed as a result of this comment around the 3 minute mark:

Of course, any tools involved in raising a vehicle you're going to be under should be checked regularly. Plastic can degrade from chemicals, heat and UV, and plastic ramps sometimes have restrictions based on extremem temperatures. Metal can rust.

Personally I use ramps for getting under the car, and only pull out a jack when a wheel needs to come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back