Uses for SRT 0W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it's obviously not suitable for any of the euro applications, what would this be good in? As cheap as it is, it's hard not to pick some up. Seems it could be useful in most of the GM roller stuff calling for a 5W-30 yes? What else could we safely use it in? With all of it popping up in the AX clearance, we may as well find a use for it.

I plan on using it to top off. It should not change the viscosity of the oil in the sump much, regardless what it is. Just added half a quart to the 2014 accord that otherwise has pp 0w20.

It's a pretty light 40 grade (13.7 cST @ 100°C) so it should really work just fine in 30 grade applications.

I got 24 quarts of it. I think it will work great in my Elantra. Hyundai's only real oil requirement is SM/GF-4 or higher, and I think a light 40 grade will work perfect since it's a DI engine.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
I would not think twice about putting it in anything in your signature.

+ 1

What? It's on clearance? When did this happen.....

I need to tell my brother, unless anyone sees a Problem using it in an ecoboost mustang..in DFW land....

Originally Posted By: earlyre
What? It's on clearance? When did this happen.....

I need to tell my brother, unless anyone sees a Problem using it in an ecoboost mustang..in DFW land....

It is on the AZ list of $2/qt oils.

Sitting on 10's of qts myself.

I won't use it in anything European - no ACEA testing or labeling for starters.

Did a bunch of researching how SRT is used in older 4.6L Ford modulars (1991-2004). I'd be comfortable using this year round in the southern half of the US as some people do without any issue. But in my region where 0 degF is seen only occasionally (5-20 degF lows typical) the SRT 40 grade might be pushing it for a short tripper passenger car.

OK, so consensus is that it'll be fine in basically anything American (roller cam) that calls for a 5W-30 then? And maybe some asian cars with 5W-30 recs?

Originally Posted By: KenO

Not sure how hard the 485-707 HP SRT engines are on oil, I am just assuming Pennzoil Ultra 0W40 is not junk and far better than the oil spec'd in Europe 1995-1998. Could be wrong though...

Originally Posted By: tenderloin

Not sure how hard the 485-707 HP SRT engines are on oil, I am just assuming Pennzoil Ultra 0W40 is not junk and far better than the oil spec'd in Europe 1995-1998. Could be wrong though...

If warranty was a concern I wouldn't use it since it doesn't carry the ACEA ratings. However, it's certainly far better than anything BMW or Volvo would have been using back in 1995-1998. I would have zero worries about using it.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: tenderloin

If warranty was a concern I wouldn't use it since it doesn't carry the ACEA ratings. However, it's certainly far better than anything BMW or Volvo would have been using back in 1995-1998. I would have zero worries about using it.

Even with such low levels of ZDDP and an unknown (probably lower) HTHS?

Practically speaking, you could probably use it in just about anything.
It would certainly be fine in any of your vehicles.

Even with such low levels of ZDDP and an unknown (probably lower) HTHS?

Pennzoil's TDS suggests a 100c vis of 13.7 which should easily lead to a 3.5-3.8 hths. The only problem is that an early VOA shown here showed a lowly vis of 12.26 and Phos of 680 ppm...820 Zinc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back