Used Tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've bought tires from salvage yards many times. A couple of years ago bought a set of 4 that came off a new p/u that had been t-boned by a semi, tires and truck had less than 500 miles on them. Bought them for $15.00 each mounted and balanced an put on my van. Yard I use lets me check out what I want.

Yup just what we need, another law telling us what to do or not to do. Tires from fairly new wrecks are not a problem, use a little common sense and check them out. Tires purchased new and driven 1 mile down the road are now used.

Personally I'm much more worried about the jerks driving down the road talking on the cell phone or texing, putting on make-up, shaving, ect., ect. Or the drunk that thinks he's only had a few and can make it home. Tires of any kind are not my main worry.

Originally Posted By: Gen1GT
It should be illegal to sell and buy used tires. Why would you sacrifice the safety of yourself and your passengers (perhaps your wife and children?)

Compare even GOOD all seasons to amazing summer tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=118

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=48

Imagine how bad your used tires are. 15 feet in an emergency stop can make the difference between life and death.

Tires with 50 miles on them are technically "used tires".

What we don't need is yet another government bureaucrat telling us in yet one more way, on how we can or can't live our lives.

Sir, if you'd like to see that be the law of the land up in Ontario, then go for it...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
It should be illegal to sell and buy used tires. Why would you sacrifice the safety of yourself and your passengers (perhaps your wife and children?)

Imagine how bad your used tires are. 15 feet in an emergency stop can make the difference between life and death.

Tires with 50 miles on them are technically "used tires".

What we don't need is yet another government bureaucrat telling us in yet one more way, on how we can or can't live our lives.

Sir, if you'd like to see that be the law of the land up in Ontario, then go for it...

He's got a point....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

He's got a point....

What's point ? Every car must be now be installed with extreme performance summer tires (for summer) that cost no less than $200/ea before installation ? And extreme performance snow tires for winter ?

Those extreme performance tires have very short life span too, somewhere around 10-15k miles or less. How many people can afford to spend $1000 for tire per car every year ?

Back to the topic, if I get a flat that can not be fixed, the remaining tires have around 50% or more tread left, I would buy a used tire with the same brand and model with similar tread life remaining.

Good find.
Good example of being in the right place at the right time, and good reason we shouldn't place all used tires in the same category.

nothing wrong with a good used tire..... i sell used tires every now and then, you get people who want different type of tires, like they will take off their [censored] near new OEM tires and want some offroad tires.... I'll keep their good ones aside for good customers I know have that size and will offer them a deal on them.... everybody wins

some people are tight on money these days...... I'd rather have someone riding on a 5/32 used tire, then not being able to afford a brand new set and keep going on their bald 1/32 tires.....

Too many people from Ontario with this sort of mentality, unfortunately. There is nothing wrong with buying used tires, I have bought and used many used tires with no problems at all. These days, not everybody can afford new tires and a good set of used tires will serve well.

A decent set of used tires surely beats a set of baldies, if that is what one can afford.
I'd rather buy used with half tread than run what I have now if it is into the wear bars, if I couldn't afford any better.
As you say, right now, there are plenty of folks who can't afford new tires, or much of anything else.
These same folks need to use their car for groceries, visiting family and friends, as well as transportation to job interviews, or the low-paying job that is all they can get in the current climate.
For most people in most areas, there is little alternative to driving.

Plenty of reasons besides poverty to run them. Reducing carbon footprint, foreign imports, oil used in manufacturing. Making sure the scrap "tire pile" filling with mosquito larvae is as small and bald as possible.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
A decent set of used tires surely beats a set of baldies, if that is what one can afford.
I'd rather buy used with half tread than run what I have now if it is into the wear bars, if I couldn't afford any better.
As you say, right now, there are plenty of folks who can't afford new tires, or much of anything else.
These same folks need to use their car for groceries, visiting family and friends, as well as transportation to job interviews, or the low-paying job that is all they can get in the current climate.

Very good point...I see quite a bi of that around here...

"It should be illegal to buy and sell used tires"......

Really?? After tires have been on my car for a few months, they are used tires also, not?? Do I need to replace them every couple of months??

In college I lived next to a small wrecking yard, 1/2 mile off Interstate 80. It was stunning how many new cars, and cars with new tires are traveling across our state (and wrecking it seemed like). Many of my poverty stricken college friends benefited, as I kept an eye on new arrivals.

Maybe you do not approve of swapping old bald tires for nearly new ones, but for most of us it was a huge upgrade in safety. The choice of "tires or tuition" could become both rather than either!

What does that proove? If you buy a good used tire you are further ahead than buying a marginal brand new all season from some box store. I'd sooner use a set of used Michelins than a new set of whatever bargain priced stuff available from the big box.

Used tires have their place. Be it budget reasons, intended use, or maybe even eco reasons. Make it illegal? No thanks, more beurocratic nonsense and more unnecessary waste.

Alex.

don't forget those full size spares. I put a used one on my full sized spar when I found the one on there was getting some dry rot.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Bingo! Well said.

More laws forcing how people to live their lives is not good in general. Do you have TPMS in your car(s) now ? How do you like it ? Since my newest car is an 2004, I don't have TPMS and when I change tires I don't have to pay extra for TPMS, and I like it very much. I rather check my tires once a month than paying extra for TPMS.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
More laws forcing how people to live their lives is not good in general. Do you have TPMS in your car(s) now ? How do you like it ? Since my newest car is an 2004, I don't have TPMS and when I change tires I don't have to pay extra for TPMS, and I like it very much. I rather check my tires once a month than paying extra for TPMS.

Many of my friends had low tire pressure in their cars, but only the two with TPMS was actually aware of it. After I checked the tire pressure, I pointed out to them that the TPMS valve sensors were leaking. Not only that, the tires were in dire need of replacement.

It was actually a good thing-- if TPMS had not existed, the low tire pressure would not have been discovered. Now, I've convinced both of them to get four new tires and a complete TPMS rebuild-- so now we have two safer cars on the road.

Anyway, back on topic. Used tires are like used underwear to me. Don't even think about it.

Also, the labor to mount/balance a tire now is incredibly high. America's Tire charges $25.75/tire for mounting, balancing, TPMS rebuild kit and disposal. How could it possibly be economical to purchase used tires?

Here's the problem in a nutshell:

1) Used tires are an unknown quantity - just like used cars. You may not be able to tell that there are problems with the item unless you know what to look for - and even then.......

2) There are a lot of shady characters (or even worse) selling used tires. You can not rely on these guys to give you safe reliable tires.

Case in point: There is a pending lawsuit. Multiple fatalies. A used tire dealer sold a set of recalled tires to someone. The used tire dealer got them from a car dealer who had removed them because of the recall and had contracted with this dealer to damage the tires per the instructions in the recall. Rather than do that, this dealer turned around and SOLD these tires - making a nice profit on the deal. He has since disappeared. It's suspected he is using a different name (and perhaps the name used for the business was fictitious in the first place).

So use extreme caution when buying used tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back