USA-made 14-inch tires worth buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am happy with the H727s on my Saturn; they might last the life of the car, at least as three-season tires. However, I am searching to see what's out there if I decide to keep the Saturn long enough to need new tires. It has 14-inch wheels; tires that size are slowing disappearing. A switch to 15s is not likely; I drive a Saturn SL1 for economy; partly forced due to lack of wealth, partly to save up for better days to come.

I've decided my next set of tires will be made in the USA, unless they are Nokian WRGs. (Always wanted to try them, but could never justify the price premium.) I wanted USA-made tires when I bought the Hankooks, but the deal I got on them was too good to pass up.

Options for 'domestic' 14-inchers are limited. For instance, the Cooper CS5 does not offer 14-inch options. Neither does the GY Assurance Comfort or Triple treds. Nor the Michelins, in their made-in-USA lines. (Plus if I pay that much I will likely go Nokian.) The usual suspects in this segment are all made overseas: Altimax RT43; Hankook H727; Pirelli P4; Michelin Defender; Kumho KR21. Etc.

Any bright ideas here? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
What exact size do you need? Have you checked Kelly and Mastercraft (Mastercraft is a Cooper brand)

http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/content/db/b-db-tires.shtml

185/65/14 is OE. I could live with 175/70/14 if the tire shop lawyers don't forbid that. I figure the Mastercraft Avenger LSR---the poor man's CS4---will be replaced by a clone of the CS5, with no 14-inch option. If not, that's a good choice. I'm not sure GY plans to keep Kelly going. Seems like slim pickings there.

This is more a lament about how the new middle-tier name brand tire models that are made in the USA do not offer 14-inch choices. There is still at least one new car model that comes with 14-inch wheels---the Accent---and I suspect there are others. Go figure. Thanks for the ideas.

Cooper CS4 Still out there. Mastercraft Avenger is the CS4's twin, and should still be around for a while.

Cooper Response from Sears. My buddy had them on his 2002 Saturn SL2, nice tires....

BFG Touring TAs from Sam's Club. Advantage TAs at other stores..

Yoko Avid Touring S- Also made here.....

Will be buying tires for the wife's Cavalier shortly, which also uses 14 inch tires....

Tirerack.com shows 4 Goodyears in your OE size. 2 are winters but they also have the Integrity, which were good when I had on a car several years back, and the Assurance Fuelmax for a little more.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Tirerack.com shows 4 Goodyears in your OE size. 2 are winters but they also have the Integrity, which were good when I had on a car several years back, and the Assurance Fuelmax for a little more.

Thanks. Dunlop Signature II looks interesting. As I understand it, that's the replacement for the Kelly Navigator Touring Gold, which was on my radar for a long time but never quite worked out. If the FuelMax were priced more reasonably, maybe....

I highly recommend the Yokohama Avid Touring S. On second set on an 01 Civic, very good tread wear and a solid all around performer in my experience. Favorite value tire, made in the US, perhaps at their Salem Va plant.

Looks like Yoko is also set to open a truck tire plant in Miss.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I highly recommend the Yokohama Avid Touring S. On second set on an 01 Civic, very good tread wear and a solid all around performer in my experience. Favorite value tire, made in the US, perhaps at their Salem Va plant.

+1.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

+2

The RT43 and Defender are good tires!

Your best choices seem to be the Dun;lop Signature II and the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max.

The Fuel Max is on rebate now until Saturday 5/31. If you buy your tires at Sears, the rebate is good until 7/5. The rebate is $40 (if you buy them at Sears and use your Sears card, the rebate is $80)

National rebate until May 31

Sears rebate through 7/5

The rt-43 in his size is made in mexico.
Dunlop Sig II is USA

Yoko avid touring S is USA

The defender is either Mexico or Canada

GY fuel max is USA

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
The RT43 and Defender are good tires!

Your best choices seem to be the Dun;lop Signature II and the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max.

The Fuel Max is on rebate now until Saturday 5/31. If you buy your tires at Sears, the rebate is good until 7/5. The rebate is $40 (if you buy them at Sears and use your Sears card, the rebate is $80)

National rebate until May 31

Sears rebate through 7/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back