Unusually low fuel mileage this winter???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MNgopher

Again, I lived in Fort Collins for 6 years, so please spare me the lecture on how it gets cold every year in Colorado.

I will if you'll do the same for me. I've lived in Colorado for 31 years.

And this decrease in mileage can't be because of the tune up in my car - it's had a brand new air filter, plugs, and 02 sensor put in this fall.

I tend to think in previous years, ethanol content on gas pumps said UP TO 10% ethanol. Now all pumps simply state 10% ethanol. That combined with a different winter fuel blend than previous years is decreasing fuel mileage.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

I will if you'll do the same for me. I've lived in Colorado for 31 years.

My point was that you seemed to think I did't know that it gets cold from time to time on the front range. Having lived there for a time, I'd beg to differ. What 31 years has to do with anything, I don't know.

The ethanol lableing isn't a mystery either. Much of the front range was part of the winter fuel with an oxygenate requirement. One of the blends that achieved that was ethanol (along with MTBE, as I recall). It was only used part of the year, and not everywhere, but could be delivered to other parts of the state. Thus the "may contain up to 10% ethanol" stickers. In the summer, it had none. In the winter, it likely had 10% (or MTBE). Now you are getting it year around, not just the winter, for better or worse. No conspiracy to be well above 10%.

Gotta run. The black helicopters are circling...
smile.gif

Not sure if everyone is having the same experience, but this winter has been long and cold. Heating costs have been terrible, and vehicle mileage is also poor. Ethanol in the gasoline isn't helping...

My F350 got a whopping 7 mpg on the last tank. Cold weather, short trips, and lots of snow plowing...
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I just dont see how our economy is going to get any better with all of these scenario`s.

Better?

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
No conspiracy to be well above 10%.

You don't read well, do you. I never said that. YOU DID.

You don't live here, I do. The stickers used to say "up to 10% ethanol" all year round. Now they say "10% ethanol". I'm assuming that means the ethanol amount has increased. God I hate ethanol.

I'm not insinuating there's some grand conspiracy to lower fuel mileage to boost profits or anything, YOU ARE.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: lexus114
I just dont see how our economy is going to get any better with all of these scenario`s.

Better?

Well, Recover.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Drew: Drove up to the springs from NM, got 38MPG coming up there, gassed up in Colo Springs and got 32MPG coming home and it's down hill going home.
I don't know what they are putting in your gas but it has no energy in it.
Smoky

I think they're using a different winter blend fuel here. Visible pollution here gets as bad as LA sometimes when we get temperature inversions. Perhaps they're trying to curtail that?

Drew, Tommygunn in the first page of posting refers to ethanol content increasing above 10%.

Sometimes a sense of humor is not translated well through the internet.

It is the ethanol plus the aromatics to meet the US regs. Worse than ever.

BTW, it is scenarios, not scenario's. there's no apostrophe just because it ends in vowel. The scenarios don't own anything.

One word answer... ETHANOL

The reasoning? Pure politics.

Do you really think the Al Gores of the world care about your gas mileage? They just want to make their billions trading energy (carbon?) credits, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back