Unusually low fuel mileage this winter???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on Char Baby's comment in the fuel mileage thread, I want to start a separate thread about this. We all know that for a variety of reasons, fuel mileage drops during the cold winter months. Cold air means more fuel is required for the mixture to be right. Winter blend fuels with lower BTUs lower fuel mileage.

Has anyone else notice this winter, that even despite it being brutally cold, that fuel mileage is abnormally low? I've heard a lot of people complaining about this. I usually get low 30s in the winter. This year, I had some tanks as low as 27 mpg. I usually avg 35 during the summer (mostly city driving). Is it more ethanol? A different winter blend fuel?

What say you BITOG???

I thought it was just that I had reflashed my ECM to a different tune, but experienced the same drop in mileage after flashing bacl to the stock tune for a month. It's slowly creeping back up, but it was pretty bad for pretty much the entire winter. Even adjusting my driving habits didn't seem to improve mileage as it should have. Interesting.

We had some fuel that was so bad it stopped my dad's truck from running properly and it made both of our snowmachines run horribly and even killed mine to be able to make it home. We had to go out on the ice with the truck and tow it home. Put lots of fuel conditioner in them and they began to clear up. Now with the warmer weather everything runs fine. My diesel truck lost 5 mpg this winter too. Now I'm back up to 27mpg highway but was down to 21-23 in Dec and January. Have never had such a hit in mileage during the cold winter. And this is for gas and diesel.

I thought it was just my car. I usually average around 18 mpg in my Buick. (All city) Last few tanks were 14.5. Tires are aired up. Fairly new air filter. Pennzoil Plat 5w30 in the crankcase. What gives ?

Its the government!!!
lol.gif

45.gif

Anyone got a CEL/SES light on? I know that will lower MPG.....ofc, depending on what's "triggering" the CEL light.....

But yea, I've noticed it too.

Wouldn't doubt it if they are sneaking in 11-14% ethanol.....

I've upped my ante, and got MMO on board for every fuel up to add the lube back to my gasoline :p

Definitely!! I usually get between 18-20 around town. This winter it dropped to 16.3! Never went that low before!

I think it is partly because our fuel in urban areas has an additive that lowers mileage plus the fact that all of the fuel here now has ethanol in it. We used to be able to find the stations with pure gasoline.

I was seeing some knock in my tune (none at all now) before, so I doubt they upped the E. I log often and check everything weekly, so there aren't many variables. I also switched from Rotella T6 5W-40 to Amsoil SSO 0W-30.

The only time a got normal highway mileage was while down visiting family in DE for the holidays. Whether it's the fuel or relatively flat Jersey Turnpike, my mileage shot up 3 mpg on the way home.

Drew: Drove up to the springs from NM, got 38MPG coming up there, gassed up in Colo Springs and got 32MPG coming home and it's down hill going home.
I don't know what they are putting in your gas but it has no energy in it.
Smoky

Its all a conspiracy man... Good grief.

I got the same lousy winter mileage I get every winter. That's what happens when its cold...

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Its all a conspiracy man... Good grief.

I got the same lousy winter mileage I get every winter. That's what happens when its cold...

Thanks for adding NOTHING. READ MY POST. The drop in fuel mileage has been worse this winter.

My results are lower/worse than ever this winter.
About 2 mpg worse.
But we had record breaking cold in December, and record breaking snow in Feb.
[That is another Gore-y thread]

I'm used to seeing a 1-2 mpg drop in fuel economy with winter gas, but this year I've noticed a 3-4 mpg decrease. It hasn't been particularly cold, and my driving is unchanged.

My wife has also noticed a 3-4 mpg drop in her car.

We both track our fuel economy in Excel, so we can easily average multiple tanks together to smooth out the variables.

I guess we're saving the earth by burning extra fuel...

Drew, I did read your post. We go through this same song and dance every year that I'm getting worse fuel mileage than ever over the winter. Dreaded "Winter Gas" is always put out there as the culprit.

Have some additional information to back things up? Fuel mileage records? Weather comparison? Driving Comparison (Mileage and Type?)

Here is an example from my records: My '97 Explorer, which I have owned the past three winters.

08-09 (Ending in March): Averaged 15.6 mpg year around, Nov to March was 13.9 mpg. Temp was -1.4 below normal for the period. Low tank was 10.7 mpg (period included a snowstorm and commute in it which kills the fuel mileage)

09-10 (ending in march): Averaged 16.4 mpg year around. Nov to March was 15.0 Temp was +3.4 degrees above normal for the period. Low Tank was 11.3 mpg (again a snow commute)

10-11 (ending at today): Averaged 15.8 mpg year around. Nov to march was 13.7 mpg. Temp was -0.5 below normal for the period. Low Tank was 10.2 mpg (period included several days of single digit highs and lows around -20F).

Mileage and driving style was the same each year.

Supply similar data and maybe there is something to glean from it. Or I could just complain my winter mileage is 1.2 mpg below last years...

Looks like this winter is "average" temp wise for CO Springs. Last winter was above normal by about 2.5 degrees, which is a lot in average speak.

I'll also note that forming an observation like this based on one low tank is not a good one to make. I have tanks every winter I wonder about, but they tend to average out.

I also recall there was a period of some pretty cold weather by Front Range standards this winter - End of Jan/ Feb? (Family is in CO and I am a CSU Alumni).

I can do the same analysis on a '97 F150, a '99 F150, or a '88 Cherokee. We see the same results and trends in our fleet at work.

It hasn't been one low tank. Starting in about November, every tank of fuel this winter has been about 2 or 3 mpg under what I normally get.

Yes, we did have a period of below 0 weather LIKE WE DO EVERY YEAR, and this one wasn't nearly as bad as a few years back when we had a few nights with low temps of around -10 to -15.

I'm not one to keep track of every tank of fuel and write it down; I usually calculate fuel mileage every tank on my phone and keep it in my mind, and having done that for the last 7 years I've owned my Corolla, I've established a pretty good idea of what my fuel mileage has been and should be based on driving conditions, weather conditions, time of year etc.

This winter my fuel mileage is off a few mpg. It is in both my parents cars. It is with people I've talked to about it. Call me a liar. I could care less what other people think.

Last edited:
Drew, nobody called anyone a liar.

I provided a factual, statistics based response to your question when you called me on it. I even provided some stats to demonstrate what may be going on for you.

Again, I lived in Fort Collins for 6 years, so please spare me the lecture on how it gets cold every year in Colorado. I'd point out that given the more variable nature of temps on the Colorado Front Range (ie: it can be pretty cold or quite pleasant in January)one relly should not be surprised to see highly variable fuel mileage results through the winter, including on the low side. Up here we tend to stay colder for much longer without the nice warm days. My seasonal swings in fuel mileage have a very clear correlation to temperatures.

How you keep track of your fuel mileage is up to you, but without a long term record other than "in your head", I'd have a hard time drawing any conclusions. Keeping hard data removes this kind of subjectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back