Unique gas price map of US

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a neat graphic. Of course, it also helps to illustrate which states have higher taxes than others (like Illinois...)
mad.gif

I've been helping out, by posting gas prices at that site for the past 4 years.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Why did you move there ?

I'm guessing a better job. Didn't you live in Broward ?

It was a job, not a better job. I was forced to do it to maintain my visa. If I could, I would have stayed in Broward. Although I hear the job situation in south FL has gotten pretty bad lately.

It seems that states with a lot of 'community organizers' have higher taxes. NY has plenty of both.

freakin weird, nashville is red and within 3 hours in every direction, everyone is paying cheaper gas than us. wth.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
freakin weird, nashville is red and within 3 hours in every direction, everyone is paying cheaper gas than us. wth.

Nashville is red? It's pale orange at best. Apparently we're not looking at the same map.

Take a look at the vast majority of NY State. Now that's something to whine about.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

Nashville is red? It's pale orange at best. Apparently we're not looking at the same map.

Take a look at the vast majority of NY State. Now that's something to whine about.

red or pale orange. It's light green all around the state of TN. So what makes Nashville any different than the rest of the state to have higher gas prices. probably local taxes

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
In Texas we dont pay state income tax...although you do get raped with property taxes.

Your property tax is based on the assessed value of the property, but can you give me some idea about how high those taxes are? Say you own a $500,000 home property in the suburbs of Dallas - how much are your annual property taxes?

Maintaining infrastructure and paying for services used by the community costs money. So everyone pays a fair sum. If it's not gas taxes then it's property taxes. Or value added taxes. Or income taxes.

Unless you want to move to a place with very little infrastructure or services, you are going to pay for it.

What goes around comes around. Less gas tax means higher income or property taxes. The state and federal govt will take their share one way or another.

Cool map, though. Here in MN gas is cheap. I don't drive much, so it really doesn't affect me. Hard to imagine gas was pushing $5 in some locations just a few months ago.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
What goes around comes around. Less gas tax means higher income or property taxes.

Out here in Chicago we seem to have high everything. :) Income tax, property tax, huge sales tax (over 10%), and some of the highest gas prices in the country, plus dreadful winters. With a murder rate higher than New York and LA, why many people call it the best city in the world is beyond me.

(can you tell I'm not a big fan?
LOL.gif
)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Out here in Chicago we seem to have high everything. :) Income tax, property tax, huge sales tax (over 10%), and some of the highest gas prices in the country, plus dreadful winters. With a murder rate higher than New York and LA, why many people call it the best city in the world is beyond me.

That's what you get for living north of I-80...

Once you get out of Cook County, there is this pleasant place called Illinois.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Once you get out of Cook County, there is this pleasant place called Illinois.
LOL.gif

I hear ya. Hopefully I'm only a few months away from that point.

I can't believe this is new to anyone. I've logged into that site daily since Katrina hit.
frown.gif

I can't say I've used it to find the absolute cheapest gas rather I use it to see which stations to avoid. In case no one has discovered it yet, you can zoom the national map to street level and it will display call out boxes for local stations with recently reported prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back