Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: berniedd
SrDriver, thanks. Now where can I get a copy of Ubuntu 8.10 or 8.04 LTS? I've been called to install it on an AMD 1800+ with only 16 MB RAM. THe video is not up to the requirements of Ubuntu 9.04. I have version 7.04 but I don't think it has drivers for HP 910 printer it must work with.

Ubuntu is *not* meant for lower powered or older systems - It is one of the "heaviest" Linux-based OS's out there.

There are really so many Linux-based OS's out there made specifically to run on older hardware, and do a wonderful job where Ubuntu is *entirely* inappropriate for that task. Check http://distrowatch.com and peruse over the ones listed there (there is a sidebar on the right hand side of the site that "ranks" distros).

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: berniedd
Anyone care to comment on the latest XUbuntu? I've never tried any Xubuntu version before. And where can I download version 8LTS? My only copy won't work anymore.

The generalizations that I've heard about Xubuntu is that is saves you very little in the way of resources compared to a stock Ubuntu Gnome desktop. Like Kubuntu, some of these Ubuntu variants with alternate desktops seem to not be the best implimentations of the desktops.

*If* the reason for using a XFCE desktop is to be easier on older hardware, Xubuntu may not be the way to go - There are *lots* of XFCE-centered disto's out there that'd outperform Xubuntu by a mile; some of which are quite easy to install and use (Zenwalk comes to mind, as does a Debian XFCE install).

I've found a Gnome desktop in a Debian install to be snappier than the last Xubuntu I tinkered with, which was 9.04.

The Ubuntu Linux Distribution is based on Debian. I find that Ubuntu has the most support of any Linux Distribution.

There are a couple of distributions that work on older systems that I have tried.

GOS is based on Debian/Ubuntu and and according to their web site requires only 64 megs of Ram.

It is a stripped down Gnome Desktop with a lot of eye candy.

I ran - fooled around with it awhile back.

Here is a link to their web site.

I requested and got an Ubuntu Live CD from the dutch !!
I might be trying it out soon...i am a bit scared
frown.gif

For average use I recommend Linux Mint which is based on Ubuntu as I previously mentioned. There is both a Gnome and KDE Version. There are both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Link To Linux Mint

Big + is you don't have to worry about finding/installing Codex/Plug-ins.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I requested and got an Ubuntu Live CD from the dutch !!
I might be trying it out soon...i am a bit scared
frown.gif

If you bugger around with the Live CD, which will be quite slow as it is running from the CD-ROM drive, you actually *can't* screw up your system - The whole shootin' match is running from the CD and your hard drive doesn't get touched.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
The Ubuntu Linux Distribution is based on Debian.

Not exactly - It is based on Debian *Sid*, which is their *unstable* branch of development. How the Ubuntu developers vary from the Debian developers in tweaking and compiling the source code from there (Debian would eventuallly put a program into their "testing" branch, and finally into the extremely stable-but-outdated "stable" branch", which is released every gazillion years or so) can be considerable.

Ubuntu = easy, newer versions of software, user-friendly features, GUI-based administration

Debian = not so easy, outdated but extensively tested software, light on features, considerable manual configuration needed

Of the various distros that I have tried, Linux Mint and PCLinuxOS have the most eye candy. For those who are adventurous, the GUI in PCLinuxOS can be configured to look almost exactly like Mac OSX. The default GUI for PCLinuxOS is ugly, but don't let that stop you from trying it out. I wish that the Ubuntu team would stop using brown in their default GUI, but I suppose it can be changed as well after installation.

Here is a great site for anyone looking into trying Linux:

http://distrowatch.com/

so i am ready to pop in the Ubuntu live CD and "test drive".
I guess i just put it in, and reboot the laptop?
then after playing with it, eject the disc, and restart again and I will have my xp pro again? :)

Thanks.

Yes - you may have to play with it to get it to boot from CD first, but it will probably just work. Once it's booted, you can tell it to reboot and it will eject itself automatically before it restarts. The interface is pretty intuitive, you won't have any trouble.

so i am ready to pop in the Ubuntu live CD and "test drive".
I guess i just put it in, and reboot the laptop?
then after playing with it, eject the disc, and restart again and I will have my xp pro again? :)

Thanks.

Assuming that your laptop is already set up to, or you can tell it to boot from the CD drive *before* the hard drive, then yes, you will boot from the CD, tinker around with Ubuntu a bit, turn it off, remove the CD, reboot and you have XP back. *The Ubuntu live CD does not touch your hard drive.*

Be aware that the live CD runs slow as heck, because the OS is running, well, *from the CD*.

Enjoy, and good luck!

cool - it worked and i like it.

so what's the most painless way to have ubuntu alongside win on my lappy top?
- install with partition
- run it from a virtual machine?

The last few Ubuntu releases have been able to install themselves inside the same partition as Windows. I've never tried it personally because my stuff runs straight linux but it would be the best thing for you if you want to have both.

EDIT: Insert the Ubuntu Live CD with your computer booted into Windows. Once the autostart program runs look for the Wubi option.
EDIT2: or go here: http://wubi-installer.org/

Last edited:
cool - it worked and i like it.

so what's the most painless way to have ubuntu alongside win on my lappy top?
- install with partition
- run it from a virtual machine?

Use a partition and setup GRUB as the bootloader. I forgot how to do it because I used to do it on a client's computer before.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
On a Linux related note, Linus Torvalds, the founder of the Linux kernel stated at LinuxCon recently that "Linux is bloated".

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10358024-16.html?tag=pop

The beautiful thing about the Linux kernel, though, is that the more that is in the kernel itself, the faster and more stable those functions will be performed; and you can always just compile the kernel yourself *without* all that bloat.

I think also in the article he said something to the effect that the kernel is no longer the stripped down, streamlined, efficient thing it once was; but again, it's user base and purposes are orders of magnitude more complex now than in years past.

I am gonna try the VMware method for now, guys... i need to find a good way to back up win xp stuff b4 i try running from a partition..

Right on -- I think you'll be very happy with it. If you need any help, http://ubuntuforums.org is by a long shot the most populous, *friendly*, helpful place possible.

Ok - Ubuntu is running via VMware :)

I have a few "?":

why is FF 3.0 on Ubuntu? "check for updates" is also non clickable (grayed out), so one can't update FF on Ubuntu?

Internet works - idk how the heck, though: it's showing a WIRED connection, and I am on wireLESS!!! but somehow I have internet !!

I can't do any cool graphics stuff..(i guess i need to be on dual boot mode for that)

Is there a way to import my bookmarks to FF on Ubuntu?

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back