Ubuntu 22.04 is out

Are there many changes?
No real show-stoppers. The Desktop Environments in the various flavours are all updated from 2 years ago; the (default) Gnome is now on version 42 and that's got a few cosmetic changes, some of which seem pretty cool. More info here: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2022/01/ubuntu-22-04-release-features

Given that Ubuntu, unlike other stability-driven distros, updates some applications (most notably Firefox; Chrome and other apps installed from their respective vendors will update anyhow) then there's nothing to lose by remaining on a supported version, currently 18.04 LTS (supported until 2023), 20.04 LTS (supported until 2025) and 21.10 (supported until a little later this year).

I've been running the Beta for a couple of months now with no issues and will be updating all the desktops I oversee in the coming days. The servers I will take more slowly!

Sounds pretty good, but I see it's not listed as a stable version just yet, I'll wait a while.
I'm running 20.04 stable, but still have some issues with the right click menus in Chrome.
Thanks for the links though! I appreciate your post.

Newbie question. What’s the point using Ubuntu vs Mac OS or windows? Is it a hobby thing where you can tinker with the OS to your liking?

Thanks for the tip UC... just went in and changed my upgrade settings so I just moved to the next stable version, 21.10
As to Owen's question, Ubuntu is only a "hobby thing" for those that wish to spend their time working in terminal mode, which is very useful. But it's like learning coding and another language at the same time, not for me.
tHE reason I use it is:
#1, it's free except for the donations you send (like Wikipedia).
#2, It does everything you need it to do. Such as email, web, searches and all. ( NO crashes of any kind)
#3, It's pretty secure, since it is not as widely used, there's not much money in hacking it.
#4, It's updated regularly, like almost daily, and the volunteer developers do a great job of that.
#5, You don't pay the Apple Tax, or have to deal with Windows making your machine obsolete overnight. (i.e. Win 11)

In the end, it's still a LOT different than Windows, and sometime I wish I could understand the file extensions MUCH better than I do, but like I said, it does everything very well for what I use a computer for.
Try it on an old machine that your ready to get rid of, and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for the tip UC... just went in and changed my upgrade settings so I just moved to the next stable version, 21.10
As to Owen's question, Ubuntu is only a "hobby thing" for those that wish to spend their time working in terminal mode, which is very useful. But it's like learning coding and another language at the same time, not for me.
tHE reason I use it is:
#1, it's free except for the donations you send (like Wikipedia).
#2, It does everything you need it to do. Such as email, web, searches and all. ( NO crashes of any kind)
#3, It's pretty secure, since it is not as widely used, there's not much money in hacking it.
#4, It's updated regularly, like almost daily, and the volunteer developers do a great job of that.
#5, You don't pay the Apple Tax, or have to deal with Windows making your machine obsolete overnight. (i.e. Win 11)

In the end, it's still a LOT different than Windows, and sometime I wish I could understand the file extensions MUCH better than I do, but like I said, it does everything very well for what I use a computer for.
Try it on an old machine that your ready to get rid of, and you'll see what I mean.
Thank you for the detailed response, sounds very useful for those with the knowledge. I like the security angle and that you can keep an older machine going!

Sounds pretty good, but I see it's not listed as a stable version just yet, I'll wait a while.
I'm running 20.04 stable, but still have some issues with the right click menus in Chrome.
Thanks for the links though! I appreciate your post
22.04 absolutely is, as of today, the new LTS release. LTS releases, Long Term Support, come out in April of even numbered years (hence “22” for the year and “04” for the month).

Consumers should stick only to the LTS releases as the interim every-6-month ones are meant to introduce and refine new features. And the interim releases only have 9 months of support as opposed to 5 years for LTS. Upgrading into perpetuity is as easy as running the system upgrader every 2 years in late April.

Lots of people wait from anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months when the .1 release comes out, out of an abundance of caution.

Last edited:
Newbie question. What’s the point using Ubuntu vs Mac OS or windows? Is it a hobby thing where you can tinker with the OS to your liking?
  • Enterprise-grade security. Darn-near all of the internet runs on Linux. All of the world's top 500 supercomputers run atop it (note 2 of the top 10 even run Ubuntu specifically)
  • Stability (meaning "doesn't crash")
  • Stability (meaning "rarely changes") if you use the LTS releases
  • Privacy - no ads, no phoning home, no bloatware
  • Ease-of-use (software tends to come from one set of repositories where the developers test the software prior to making it available; so software installation and management is many times easier than in Windows or Mac where you have to go to each vendor, download their installation programs, run them and manage updates yourself)
  • Free (meaning "no cost")
  • Free (meaning "Freedom": You can make copes and distribute them. You can examine and change the source code of the applications and operating system as you see fit if you choose.)
  • Choices - you can choose between a large handful of Desktop Environments, each of which looks and feels different and each of which has different purposes; some are very lightweight and easy on system resources, others are more full-featured
    There are also many, many, MANY Linux-based OS's that you can choose from, each of which has different purposes. Ubuntu is the most popular among desktop and cloud installations. (I make my living developing on it and hosting services for my clients on it.)
  • Performance - depending on the choices you make about how your system is built you can keep old machines alive for a good deal longer and get better performance from newer machines

Last edited:
LTS releases are not updated unless there are security patches or updates to the small handful of applications that stay up-to-date (ie. Firefox). Even the interim releases don't tend to get bug fixes or new versions. There ARE lots of distros that stay up-to-date, almost pathologically.

Ubuntu is one of a very small number of distros that have a commercial corporation behind them; so most development is done by staff, supplemented by the community of volunteers (many of whom are working on paid time from some corporate sponsor - there are oodles of engineers from the big names in tech who contribute to the Linux kernel, Ubuntu as a distro, etc.)

How steep of a learning curve is it to use for a 51 year old non-tech savvy person who has mainly used Windows in the past.,. Primary use would be for report writing…

How steep of a learning curve is it to use for a 51 year old non-tech savvy person who has mainly used Windows in the past.,. Primary use would be for report writing…

I don't think it would be too tough to transition to using Ubuntu, the question is if you will like using the LibreOffice Writer or not. It works well enough, but if you are used to MS word it will take some getting used to.

The good news is that you can boot Ubuntu off a USB drive and try it without actually installing it.

Back