Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NJC
uc50 - it is my Canon digital. F-Spot seems to detect it OK since I deleted the database ... it's not so much the actual camera that's a problem, but the accompanying software (Picasa). Picasa works WAY better in XP.

Picasa isn't actually even a linux program - it is the Windows version running under WINE, which for all intents and purposes emulates a Windows environment (even though WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator). It suffers from all of the performance and interface consistency failings that all programs running under some type of emulation suffer. I think F-Spot has some Picasa Web Album capabilities (in addition to Flickr and some others) if that's why you were using Picasa.

If you don't care much for F-Spot (or Mono, the open source version of M$'s .NET framework on top of which F-Spot is programmed) and you do not mind running a KDE-based program in your Gnome desktop, I *really* liked digiKam which is available in the normal repositories.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
9.04 is a huge improvement. Your 8.x will download the update if you tell it to...

I am pretty sure you've got to type "sudo update-manager -d" (then your password) into a terminal to "tell" the Update Manager to look for a newer version. Otherwise, simply opening the program from the menu will put it to use normally: Looking for updates to the installed version.

You can go to the update manager and change it from Long Term only to Normal releases, or do it via the command line.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I *really* liked digiKam which is available in the normal repositories.

I just downloaded digiKam - looks very intuitive and professionally done.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
I'm testing 9.10 on my netbook right now. Power management features don't work.

I too tried the last pre-release of 9.10 and found a few issues with it. The final release date will be near the end of October.

I have tried/used more versions of Linux than you can shake a stick @ over the years and have found that the best version for new users or people like me that don't want to spend a lot of time hunting plug-ins, Codex, etc., is Linux Mint. It is based on Ubuntu and the Ubuntu repositories are compatable with it.

Link to Info About Linux Mint

Link To Linux Mint Web Site

On my desktop I use a boot manager and can boot into RC 64 Bit Windows 7, or two different versions of Linux. On the Laptop I am running Vista and Linux Mint in a dual boot mode.

On the desktop I run KDE version and on the laptop the Gnome version.

I spend much of my time in Linux.

SrDriver, I have a problem in Ubuntu I can't seem to fix. I've seen this with 8.x and now 9.04. Changing the application association with a given applications. I want .PLS files, those used for online audio streaming (such as those from Shoutcast.com) to open automatically with RhythmBox. Nothing I have tried works. The OS insists on opening it with another media player.

Is there a text file somewheere in the background that can be edited to force .PLS to open automatically with the application I want (in this case Rhythm Box) ? I'm tired of having to save the .PLS file, the manually opening it in Rhythm Box.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
SrDriver, I have a problem in Ubuntu I can't seem to fix. I've seen this with 8.x and now 9.04. Changing the application association with a given applications. I want .PLS files, those used for online audio streaming (such as those from Shoutcast.com) to open automatically with RhythmBox. Nothing I have tried works. The OS insists on opening it with another media player.

Is there a text file somewheere in the background that can be edited to force .PLS to open automatically with the application I want (in this case Rhythm Box) ? I'm tired of having to save the .PLS file, the manually opening it in Rhythm Box.

[right click on the file] -> Properties -> Open With

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

[right click on the file] -> Properties -> Open With

You can also download and install the following program.

Link to Ubuntu Tweak

After installing run it and click on System then File Type Manager.

That should do the trick!

I was doing the Right Click then Open With but that got old quick. The Ubuntu Tweak was just was I was looking for, thanks!

cheers3.gif

9.04 on my netbook(Dell mini9) with the original 8.04 install on a separate partition. Even though video drivers are borked on 9.04, the netbook remix interface is unbeatable on small screens.

9.04 Kubuntu on my desktop(Athlon 64 with Nvidia 9500GT graphics). It's been upgraded from 8.04 and I'm thinking of reinstalling to resolve some issues from all the tweaking and installing I've done.

8.04 On my server(Dell XPS Pentium II/III) I actually ran 7.10 until a few months ago, so I decided to upgrade to the LTS version, where it will probably stay for a while.

For those who want to try it. Ubuntu makes a live-usb or cd version that you can run directly off of a flash drive or CD. It will be a little slower, but you can try it out before installing. When you want to install, the guide will let you install along side Windows, making a new partition for Ubuntu.

Went back to 9.04. Tried #! linux, but after installation it gave me GRUB errors, maybe because I was installing from a flash drive?

There has been an issue with drivers for computers with Intel Video Chips but that has been resolved and if you enable all the repositories in version 9.04 you can install it. Version 9.10 which will be released late next month will include it as the default driver for the Intel Video Chip.

The latest Alpha 5 version of 9.10 has addressed the Grub issue at least when I installed it.

I use a boot manager and install Grub on the Linux Partition. It would not boot with Alpha 4.

I have been using Linux Mint which is based on Ubuntu 9.04 and with the Intel video driver installed, it works great on my laptop.

Will hold off installing 9.10 until Linux Mint releases their version.

Have the Alpha 5 on a "play" partition on my desktop.

It is on the XUbuntu Web site.

Link To Web Site

You can download it from there.

I have run The XUbuntu verson a few times and it worked well on older computer systems.

Depending on the situation I also have found that the Gnome version works well on older systems if you shut off all the Eye Candy.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
Anyone care to comment on the latest XUbuntu? I've never tried any Xubuntu version before. And where can I download version 8LTS? My only copy won't work anymore.

The generalizations that I've heard about Xubuntu is that is saves you very little in the way of resources compared to a stock Ubuntu Gnome desktop. Like Kubuntu, some of these Ubuntu variants with alternate desktops seem to not be the best implimentations of the desktops.

*If* the reason for using a XFCE desktop is to be easier on older hardware, Xubuntu may not be the way to go - There are *lots* of XFCE-centered disto's out there that'd outperform Xubuntu by a mile; some of which are quite easy to install and use (Zenwalk comes to mind, as does a Debian XFCE install).

I've found a Gnome desktop in a Debian install to be snappier than the last Xubuntu I tinkered with, which was 9.04.

SrDriver, thanks. Now where can I get a copy of Ubuntu 8.10 or 8.04 LTS? I've been called to install it on an AMD 1800+ with only 16 MB RAM. THe video is not up to the requirements of Ubuntu 9.04. I have version 7.04 but I don't think it has drivers for HP 910 printer it must work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back