Turn signals

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Nebraska State Patrol nabs dope mules almost every week on I-80 near Lincoln because of "failure to signal" stops. I would think that those engaged in unlawful activity always leading to incarceration would know driving manuals from the states they operate in inside out. But then, individuals who transport illegal drugs probably aren't too bright to start with or they wouldn't be running dope.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
It's really annoying to see someones brake lights, just before they signal.

Yep, and it seems to be their SOP for turns, and NOT the result of being in an unfamiliar area. This falls into the same category as those who signal after theyre halfway through the lane change...

If I'm unfamiliar with the area I'll signal way in advance and slow down if needed to figure out where my turn is. This may be annoying to those behind me, but its safe.

Being that I ride motorcycles, I would NEVER pull out in front of someone to turn left because they threw there right turn signal on.

Why would anyone see signalling a courtesy? I don't consider doing what you are supposed to by law a courtesy.

Turn signals? Now you're asking for a lot...
crackmeup2.gif

I'd like to avoid being brake checked by the morons that race in between me to race to the next red light! That happened to me 3 times in a 20 mile trip! It was nuts.....

I hate people waiting at a red light in the left lane (there for turning and going straight) without the signal on, that throw it on the moment the light turns green. I'm then stuck behind them until they manage to actually make the turn. Signal while the light is red and I'll change to the other lane to go straight. I often want to push them through the intersection just to make a point.

Sure is annoying, but that said I dont trust the signal either until I see some real evidence of slowing.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Does anyone else get as p----d off as I do with people who do not signal their intent to turn? So you sit waiting for an opportunity to pull out of a side road and then the approaching vehicle turns in to your left without signalling! Sorry, you can tell that I'm irritated but I just had about four such experiences in about the last half an hour.

Heck yeah. What bugs me the most is when you're behind them and they start a left turn, then 1/2 way though they turn the signal on. Drivers? No. Hazards is what they are. Signals are to signal your intention, not what you've already done.

Yes, particularly at 4-way stops. You can help traffic along with a "two-fer" if everyone signals, and you have for example two oncoming lefts that can "dosie-doe".

When people are waiting to pull out of a parking lot and I'm heading towards them to pull into the same parking lot they're waiting at, they don't believe my right turn signal. They don't pull out onto the street until I slow down and start to make my right turn. Makes me wonder why I even bother with the turn signal.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
The Nebraska State Patrol nabs dope mules almost every week on I-80 near Lincoln because of "failure to signal" stops. I would think that those engaged in unlawful activity always leading to incarceration would know driving manuals from the states they operate in inside out. But then, individuals who transport illegal drugs probably aren't too bright to start with or they wouldn't be running dope.

If the law is to do it 200 feet before a turn, and there's a curb cut 150 feet from the next one, they can bust someone for failing to turn after signalling.

Or if it's written "exactly" 200 feet, there's a trap there, too.

If I were running dope and a cop appeared on my tail, I'd signal and pull over into a legal parking spot, and wait for them to leave. There are plenty of technical traps one can get caught in. For example I wear prescription glasses, they could bust me switching to sunglasses.

It's really annoying to see someones brake lights, just before they signal.
Agree, Slamon the brakes then dive into the turn - the proceed thru turn VERY SLOWLY.

Turnsignal then brake. Very Basic.

Now, I got blocked passing a slow driver today and I busted a brain and heart gasket. This is a drag 'em outta the car and pound 'em move.

Originally Posted By: Scott_mi
I get more pi**ed at seeing someone speeds up to close a gap as soon as another car uses the turn signal to change lanes.

Total d**k move!

Hehe...I do that when the car was just behind me, passed me (usually on the right) and then tries to squeeze in front of me.

Another example is when I'm in a line of cars in the left lane and we're in this lane because of the slower moving truck in the right lane. Invariably some @sshat who doesn't want to wait tries to push his/her way into the left lane up front. If I'm up front I will not let them in.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has brought up what I see often.

A driver turns on their signal for one direction, but actually turns in the opposite direction of their signal.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
I'm surprised no one has brought up what I see often.

A driver turns on their signal for one direction, but actually turns in the opposite direction of their signal.

That's very common around here too. I'm still not sure how that works in someone's brain?

Usually happens around here when someone signals to exit the freeway on the right then goes to the light and turns left. There is not much of a turn exiting the freeway so the turn signal doesn't cancel. Lane change is another time it happens because you have to cancel the turn signal manually and people forget cause they are on the phone while brushing their hair and applying lipstick and drinking a Starbucks and easting a bagel while reading a novel. Jeees, who can remember the turn signal.

I've noticed a lot of Buicks don't have the turn signal cancelling feature. LOL

It was a new feature in my 1992 Cutlass Ciera. The 1991s didn't have them. This was actively promoted! The body control module dings after X 1/10's miles. Yay for the ultimate memere-mobile.

Said BCM locks the doors when put in drive and doesn't unlock them afterwards. I went in and cut some wires. This explains my encyclopaedic knowledge on the subject.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There are plenty of technical traps one can get caught in. For example I wear prescription glasses, they could bust me switching to sunglasses.

And they should bust you unless you, an ametropic driver, wear prescription sunglasses. Of course, without stopping you and checking your license they wouldn't even know you need to wear corrective lenses, unless you drive like a blind or drunk person, in which case they have good reason to pull you over.

hotwheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back