When do you use your turn signals?

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Anytime I need folks around me to know my intentions. Changing lanes on the highway. Moving into a turn lane at an intersection. However, I don't keep them on in right or left-only turn lanes at lights because once I'm in the lane (signaled to get in of course!) there is no ambiguity w/r to my intentions. Turn signal use seems to be a lost skill.

Same for me. Finally stopped using my signals in mandatory turns. They're redundant but it's not a bad habit.

When I drive in MA I try to blend in, which means… not at all.

j/k. I won’t use ‘em leaving my driveway, and I pay attention to what is around me, if there’s no one around then I don’t bother—sometimes I question that, as it’s when you get forgetful, not paying attention, that putting the blinker on from habit might do a good thing.

I tend not to use turn-only lanes, probably should, for the same reason—but again, if one is paying attention to the signs, where I’m going should be apparent, no?

The rest of the time, I use, as it’s a nice thing to do. It’s nice knowing what others are planning to do before they do it, thus it only makes sense to do so too. Then there’s the legality on top of it.

Many folks around here only use their turn signals when it will benefit them, ie, they are in the wrong lane and need to get over NOW.
At least they use their signal even if it's last second. Here in houston the savages will just swerve through 3 lanes. Just 2 days ago at 7am a kia soul and hyundai sonata were road raging until the kia realized they were going to miss their exit and flew to the exit with the hyundai following but then swerving back once they realized they might hit the barrier. Actual maniacs drive on 290 over here.

I stopped using them on the highway to change lanes because the people coming up from behind tend to accelerate when you clue them in to your intentions. I plan way ahead and seldom have to make a quick lane change, and never cut them off (I wait for a decent sized opening), so the less they know, the better.

I usually use them consistently in inner-city driving so folks coming out of my destination side street get a chance to pull out if it's otherwise all clear for them to do so. If there's nobody around that would be affected by my turn, I don't bother.

I stopped using them on the highway to change lanes because the people coming up from behind tend to accelerate when you clue them in to your intentions. I plan way ahead and seldom have to make a quick lane change, and never cut them off (I wait for a decent sized opening), so the less they know, the better.
My brother moved to Houston area and says the same thing, using your blinker gives away your next move, and now someone will try to block it.

Same for me. Finally stopped using my signals in mandatory turns. They're redundant but it's not a bad habit.
Several times a month I deal with drivers in mandatory turn lanes that end up going straight - NONE of them have the turn signal on. Use of the turn signal in mandatory turn lanes is a mental reminder of ones intentions. So many people today are sloppy, lazy drivers.

Redundancy is good. Laziness and fear of wearing out one's turn signal is foolish.

EDIT: " using your blinker gives away your next move, and now someone will try to block it." The reason I chose to live a "non rat-race" lifestyle over 5 decades ago. I'm so glad that I chose the path less traveled and actually feel sorry for people that deal with this nonsense daily. You truly do live like caged rats in an experiment to test over crowding.

Last edited:
Every time I turn or change lanes or I want to convey to those around me my intention. My kids make fun of me because I use my turn signal to exit my long driveway when there isn't a car in either direction for a 1/4 mile. My response is I'm in the habit of using them every time I turn and I don't even think about but I'd rather err on the side of overuse than underuse.

I usually use them consistently in inner-city driving so folks coming out of my destination side street get a chance to pull out if it's otherwise all clear for them to do so. If there's nobody around that would be affected by my turn, I don't bother.
Maybe it's the New Yorker in me but if I need to get over, turn my signal on to let the person behind me know my intent and they play those games, I'm still moving over. I've had a license for 30 years and I've never been in an accident but I have had a few people honk at me.

Every time I turn or change lanes or I want to convey to those around me my intention. My kids make fun of me because I use my turn signal to exit my long driveway when there isn't a car in either direction for a 1/4 mile. My response is I'm in the habit of using them every time I turn and I don't even think about but I'd rather err on the side of overuse than underuse.
My daughter is about to get her license and both her and her brother always use their blinker. She however tries to use them in reverse... we tried to figure out how to best use there, but could figure it out (where the car is going to back to, or where the car will be going?). I think I won that discussion and she might quit using them while backing up. :)

I ought to get into the habit of using while in turn-only lanes, because as noted, lots of people have no intention of making the turn, and using the blinker would confirm intention. I dislike listening to them though.

Maybe it's the New Yorker in me but if I need to get over, turn my signal on to let the person behind me know my intent and they play those games, I'm still moving over. I've had a license for 30 years and I've never been in an accident but I have had a few people honk at me.
There are times where you have to be aggressive and "take" the spot. Waiting would have you blow past your exit, miss your turn, etc.

There is the school of thought that says, using my blinker is not me asking for permission, it's me telling you what I'm about to do. Not sure I agree with it, but there are times when you need to change lanes and there's no getting around it.

My daughter is about to get her license and both her and her brother always use their blinker. She however tries to use them in reverse... we tried to figure out how to best use there, but could figure it out (where the car is going to back to, or where the car will be going?). I think I won that discussion and she might quit using them while backing up. :)

I ought to get into the habit of using while in turn-only lanes, because as noted, lots of people have no intention of making the turn, and using the blinker would confirm intention. I dislike listening to them though.
For the record, I'm traveling forward when I exit my driveway but kudos to your daughter for trying to figure that out in reverse!

Back