Ford F150 transfer case

Forgive me for not knowing the actual name/make/model of the transfer case, but on my 2011 F150 I struggled with "slip bump" for many years and many miles. Tried multiple solutions including Ford as well as other teflon greases, moly compound, etc but none lasted more than a few thousand miles. Finally around 100k I did the scheduled (shamefully I did not do it earlier) transfer case fluid service and replaced with Amsoil ATF as well as using a blend of moly paste and synthetic NLGI #2 grease on the slip yolk splines. So two new variables as I hadn't tried this DIY blend before although I had tried both products separately.

Well, I'm pushing 140k now and the slip bump is still resolved!! So I'm debating which part was the solution. I'll probably just service the t-case with the same fluid again since it only takes a couple quarts, but it would be nice to use whatever compatible fluid I have on hand at the time. Thoughts? I don't think the yoke splines are oil lubricated but maybe they get some splashing that contributes?

At the recommendations of others here I used Valvoline transfer case fluid in my 04 Expedition when I bought it a few years ago. Worked fine and easy to buy locally.

Back