Toyota Switches Car Keys To Conserve Chips

In 15 years of using push button start cars, the worst thing that happened to me is my key fob battery ran low enough that I was instructed to hold the fob next to the button on the dash and press it. Car started. Thank god. Replaced the battery in the fob when I arrived home.

I was skeptical when they came out, but now I never want to go back to keys.

But will it work in 2418? o_O
The new Toyota Fobs at least have a passive (non powered) RFID chip in them - just like any old chip key. When your fob works it transmits that code electronically. If the battery goes bad or electronics in the fob fail you can hold the fob directly below the button and the button has a reader that will read the chip. Its zero difference from a chip key at that point.

Now, I agree I prefer we didn't have chip keys, not because of the chips but because you cant just swap ECU's around - but that's been here for how long?

I also don't understand the issue with inserting a key and turning it, although mechanical key mechanisms wear out at some point as well.

So your dependant on your phone to run your car ? No thanks
Not sure it would bother me. I can’t do my job these days without my phone, due to MFA. So now I can’t work a computer without my phone now, lol.

I agree with one part of that first statement. "no way I'd buy a new car". I have zero trust in the over computerized junk cars nowadays.
Yes when everything functions as it should they are okay. You will learn the day you get stuck in the middle of nowhere with your electronic buzz box vehicle, personally I need something that can be fixed quick with out packing an electronics lab to do so.
So you drive only pre-1985 cars? I guess odb-i systems could be debugged with a paperclip so pre-1996?

I also don't understand the issue with inserting a key and turning it, although mechanical key mechanisms wear out at some point as well.
You can make the case that keys and associated parts are not necessary. I would be willing to bet you will see more and more cell phone "keys".

You need your cell or the card that comes with the car. If you lose your cell or it is dead, load the Tesla app on another cell, log in and off you go.
Charge your cell when you get in.
AM, your call, but life is easier if you accept and embrace tech.
5 ways to unlock your Tesla.

Teslas are very hard to steal, by the way.
View attachment 125747
My life is pretty easy with no payments and not "embracing the tech". I do have a Bluetooth radio so I guess I'm slowly getting there.

I suppose since its a disposable vehicle nowadays, and everyone is a millionaire, and can afford the latest and greatest with a super duper warranty every 4 to 5 years, the electronics is just fine. Since I'm not a millionaire and will never spend such crazy amount of $ on any new car now, I'm stuck with 20 to 50 some year antiques to drive. A brand new car to some of us is a nice 14 year old vehicle.

Mileage has nothing to do with component life on something like this. I anticipate that at 250k miles other things will begin to fail well before any issues with the keyless start.
In those cases, the main thing that will kill the system is water intrusion with the trunk mounted oscillators/receivers that sense the fob. The earlier Toyota systems(2nd gen Prius/3rd gen Lexus LS) had a cargo bay mounted oscillator, the Lexus also had a second one mounted in the rear package shelf to sense a fob in the trunk or inside the car to prevent a lockout. The door handles had built in antennas with oscillators as well. The newer systems are less complex.

Coworker of mine just leased a 22/23 Camry LE AWD
$500something a month 😳
We found the torque box plugs and front air deflectors in the glove box, the front plate was installed crooked
Island Toyota PDI can suck a lemon 😤
It only came with one key fob, but two mechanical keys
They said they'll mail him the second one in a month or two

Back