Toyota Switches Car Keys To Conserve Chips

I probably sound like a baby but there's no way I'd buy a new car without it being keyless entry and push button start. Not a chance.

Honestly car makers should start moving toward the phone Bluetooth option to not have to use keys. This was flawless with my Tesla. I had zero issues with it detecting the phone and being unlocked when I walked up to the car, not having to push a "start" button, and getting out of the car and walking away without having to manually lock the doors.
So your dependant on your phone to run your car ? No thanks

I agree with one part of that first statement. "no way I'd buy a new car". I have zero trust in the over computerized junk cars nowadays.
Yes when everything functions as it should they are okay. You will learn the day you get stuck in the middle of nowhere with your electronic buzz box vehicle, personally I need something that can be fixed quick with out packing an electronics lab to do so.
Some of us buy the new cars not t be stuck in the middle of no where. The theory works BTW.

In 20 years and 205K miles later, how is that keyless entry with push button start and / or bluetooh option going to be working???
Yes-just like start/stop that were going to eat starters-according to some on here. It hasn't happened.

Yes-just like start/stop that were going to eat starters-according to some on here. It hasn't happened.
It hasn't happened much SO FAR. But it has left plenty of people stranded at stop lights. These things haven't been around all that long enough ot be proven.

I’d wish they would do that here. I can’t stand chip keys cause you can’t just go to the hardware store and get one made for a couple dollars. We always have to have extras because we are bad about locking our keys in so we all have one of each other’s keys like the other night at 3am when my dad realized he locked the keys in my truck at his lot. Had to go rescue him. Had the truck not had real keys we would of been screwed cause I’m too cheap to have an extra chip key made and it only came with one. Lol. At work our shop trucks have basic keys. At least a chip key isn’t as bad as push button start though. I’m sorry I just don’t like it and will always be my stubborn self about it lol. The way I see it is if I’m paying big money for something it needs to be the way I want it. If someone wants that push button crap then let them get it and if I want my key let me have it lol. And when you are a mechanic who has replaced these units before you know how much of a pain it is versus putting an old school ignition switch in. I know the lady here who orders all the police and emergency cars and buses for my county and they have a requirement that the vehicles cannot have push button start and must have key holes in both front doors and the trunk with the exception of the Dodge Durango because something about their electronics or something that they would not be able to modify it to be used with a real key. I don’t know how true that is but she said the company wouldn’t do it for the Durango however they will for the Charger and Ram but the manufacturer says no for the Durango. She showed me the keys for the Chargers they are a zapper key as I call them it’s the zapper built into the key head. Some have the old style zapper keys that have a actual key blade instead of this plastic knob looking piece lol. Those are fine with me too as long as it’s something I can turn.

Mileage has nothing to do with component life on something like this. I anticipate that at 250k miles other things will begin to fail well before any issues with the keyless start.

Assuming that they didn't use crappy capacitors, it'll probably still be working just fine 40 years from now.

I’d wish they would do that here. I can’t stand chip keys cause you can’t just go to the hardware store and get one made for a couple dollars. We always have to have extras because we are bad about locking our keys in so we all have one of each other’s keys like the other night at 3am when my dad realized he locked the keys in my truck at his lot. Had to go rescue him. Had the truck not had real keys we would of been screwed cause I’m too cheap to have an extra chip key made and it only came with one. Lol. At work our shop trucks have basic keys. At least a chip key isn’t as bad as push button start though. I’m sorry I just don’t like it and will always be my stubborn self about it lol. The way I see it is if I’m paying big money for something it needs to be the way I want it. If someone wants that push button crap then let them get it and if I want my key let me have it lol. And when you are a mechanic who has replaced these units before you know how much of a pain it is versus putting an old school ignition switch in. I know the lady here who orders all the police and emergency cars and buses for my county and they have a requirement that the vehicles cannot have push button start and must have key holes in both front doors and the trunk with the exception of the Dodge Durango because something about their electronics or something that they would not be able to modify it to be used with a real key. I don’t know how true that is but she said the company wouldn’t do it for the Durango however they will for the Charger and Ram but the manufacturer says no for the Durango. She showed me the keys for the Chargers they are a zapper key as I call them it’s the zapper built into the key head. Some have the old style zapper keys that have a actual key blade instead of this plastic knob looking piece lol. Those are fine with me too as long as it’s something I can turn.

That's the nice thing about keyless, if you leave the fob in your car and try to leave it won't let you lock the doors and makes some attention getting sounds.

There is no need for a key or button or whatever in our Tesla. An app on your cell phone does everything. Even calls your car to come and get you... Just walk up and it unlocks. Get in an push the stalk to drive or reverse and off you go. Nothing to lose.

There is no need for a key or button or whatever in our Tesla. An app on your cell phone does everything. Even calls your car to come and get you... Just walk up and it unlocks. Get in an push the stalk to drive or reverse and off you go. Nothing to lose.
That really would drive me insane lol. I don’t like technology. My question would be could you still get in if say your phone died or you lost it or something? I wasn’t sure if you would have to have your phone nearby for it to unlock.

That really would drive me insane lol. I don’t like technology. My question would be could you still get in if say your phone died or you lost it or something? I wasn’t sure if you would have to have your phone nearby for it to unlock.
You need your cell or the card that comes with the car. If you lose your cell or it is dead, load the Tesla app on another cell, log in and off you go.
Charge your cell when you get in.
AM, your call, but life is easier if you accept and embrace tech.
5 ways to unlock your Tesla.

Teslas are very hard to steal, by the way.
1668226371097.jpg

Back