Toyota Switches Car Keys To Conserve Chips

Is this separate from immobilizers? Kia had that problem where their base models had the manual key but could easily be stolen. Don't have that issue with my "smart" key.

FWIW- We just purchased a new '23 Highlander. Toyota ships the car with only 1 key. We need to send in a form to Toyota to receive the 2nd key. The car industry is getting dumber everyday...
After WWII cars were shipped with temporary wooden bumpers due to steel (chrome?) shortages. Buyers got a chit that let them pick up their real bumpers at a later date when things returned to normal.

I probably sound like a baby but there's no way I'd buy a new car without it being keyless entry and push button start. Not a chance.

Honestly car makers should start moving toward the phone Bluetooth option to not have to use keys. This was flawless with my Tesla. I had zero issues with it detecting the phone and being unlocked when I walked up to the car, not having to push a "start" button, and getting out of the car and walking away without having to manually lock the doors.

I probably sound like a baby but there's no way I'd buy a new car without it being keyless entry and push button start. Not a chance.

Honestly car makers should start moving toward the phone Bluetooth option to not have to use keys. This was flawless with my Tesla. I had zero issues with it detecting the phone and being unlocked when I walked up to the car, not having to push a "start" button, and getting out of the car and walking away without having to manually lock the doors.

They are. But not based on BT, which can have security issues, but NFC and UWB.

Most OEMs have bought in.

I read that they're only providing the JDM with only one smart key per car, not two. When the chip "shortage" eases, owner's will get their second key.

"Toyota is still struggling so badly to get its hands on semiconductor chips that it is now limiting "smart" keys to one per car in Japan."

I agree with one part of that first statement. "no way I'd buy a new car". I have zero trust in the over computerized junk cars nowadays.
Yes when everything functions as it should they are okay. You will learn the day you get stuck in the middle of nowhere with your electronic buzz box vehicle, personally I need something that can be fixed quick with out packing an electronics lab to do so.

I agree with one part of that first statement. "no way I'd buy a new car". I have zero trust in the over computerized junk cars nowadays.
Yes when everything functions as it should they are okay. You will learn the day you get stuck in the middle of nowhere with your electronic buzz box vehicle, personally I need something that can be fixed quick with out packing an electronics lab to do so.

Here's something that never breaks either.

1668052823284.jpg

My coworker just got a new Sierra 1500 and it only came with one proximity key, and one “dumb” key. They told him they’d call him when the second key comes but said it would be several months.

Cars are great now. Ridiculously reliable all considering unless you get something fancy like a BMW or Mercedes. Give me all the electronics, I don't care.

My '15 Genesis was pretty techy. While it has plenty of problems, none of them had anything to do with the computers.

Cars are great now. Ridiculously reliable all considering unless you get something fancy like a BMW or Mercedes. Give me all the electronics, I don't care.

Yeah that stuff never seems to break. I do like push button start and would love to have it on my phone, but if I can pick up a Maverick XL for $23k I'll gladly use a key.

Yeah that stuff never seems to break. I do like push button start and would love to have it on my phone, but if I can pick up a Maverick XL for $23k I'll gladly use a key.
You're tougher than me. I wanted an XLT with the tech package, but push to start was Lariat only. That was fine, but then it came with cheap leather seats. I like the denim. I was coming from the Genesis, which projected its' logo and name onto the ground when I walked up to it, and played me a little jingle to greet me and say goodbye :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Pew
You're tougher than me. I wanted an XLT with the tech package, but push to start was Lariat only. That was fine, but then it came with cheap leather seats. I like the denim. I was coming from the Genesis, which projected its' logo and name onto the ground when I walked up to it, and played me a little jingle to greet me and say goodbye :ROFLMAO:

I can only dream of being that bougie 💅

In 20 years and 205K miles later, how is that keyless entry with push button start and / or bluetooh option going to be working???

Back