Toyota- Build Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
Rjundi,

You are entitled to your opinion and thats all it is an opinion. The sales speak for themselves.

I never said Toyota's were a bad choice they are just the vehicle for the masses as are Honda's. They don't make anything with any sporting character anymore. If I wanted a vehicle that just got me from A to B then Toyota or Honda would be my first choice as they seem reliable.

I owned a Civic with may has well been a Corolla. Personally I just found it uninspiring to dirve and never could let go of it since it never broke or let me down in it 212,000 mile life(sold running perfectly with no issues).

Anyway like I said I own a Subaru, a niche car more than definitely not for everyone and obvious by sales #'s. If you want high performance/fun to drive or relatively affordable AWD then it covers that portion of the market.

Depreciation?

I was in Chicago a couple of months ago and saw a '92 Civic listed in the paper for $850.

I could have driven that thing the 750 miles back to Washington,DC (if it was capable of making it without breaking down) and turned around and sold it for $2000.

I'd have people lined up around the block to buy it.

I wonder if there's money to be made buying Hondas and Toyotas in markets like the midwest where they're "undervalued" and reselling them in markets like the east coast where they're "overvalued".

**** , for 12 hours of driving, an $1150 profit isn't bad!

If there was really that big a difference in market price between the midwest and east coast you would see car haulers lined up by the mile bringing cars to the east coast.

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:
If there was really that big a difference in market price between the midwest and east coast you would see car haulers lined up by the mile bringing cars to the east coast.

On the east coast, Hondas and Toyotas are much more "trendy" than they were in the midwest. That definitely affects their market prices.

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:

Assuming that the price difference was large enough to justify the cost of transport. A difference, yes; enough of a difference, probably not.

Tacoma is a Toyota and Toyota=Japanese. It may be built here and some parts made here but it is still heavly Japanese influenced. It is a good truck and most last as long as any. I Worked at a Chevy dealer in the past and I saw dozzens of S10's with over 200,000 miles on them so they last as long as any out there. My neighbor has a 1986 Dodge Ram 5.9 (360) with 286,000 miles all original. We can argue this till we are blue in the face but I have better things to do. Keep driving your Yotas and I'll keep driving my Chevys and I'll see ya in a few hundred thousand miles.
wink.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Assuming that the price difference was large enough to justify the cost of transport. A difference, yes; enough of a difference, probably not.

Also, the costs of a someone (like me) driving the vehicle are less than the costs of loading it on a car carrier for 750 miles, assuming that it doesn't break down en route.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:
Tacoma is a Toyota and Toyota=Japanese. It may be built here and some parts made here but it is still heavly Japanese influenced.
patriot.gif

Your statement is correct. Now, did you know that many "american cars" are acctually buit ouside US?

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

Also, the costs of a someone (like me) driving the vehicle are less than the costs of loading it on a car carrier for 750 miles, assuming that it doesn't break down en route.

Well, did you acctualy see the car? You know, cars tend to be very rusty and very run down in Chicago. Sometimes cars have salvage titles, too.

quote:

Originally posted by friendly_jacek:
Well, did you acctualy see the car? You know, cars tend to be very rusty and very run down in Chicago. Sometimes cars have salvage titles, too.

No, I didn't. The ad said it ran and was in ok shape. I guess that could have been a total lie. It was also in a suburb, not Chicago proper.

quote:

In their 1st year the Colorado/Canyon moved into 2nd place behind Tacoma. Give them a couple of years and they could take over. There were several American cars on that list.

Keep trying to tell us American is poo and Toyota is not. More like keep telling youself that, you sound like a politition telling us what we need. I still know American makers are right up there with anyone else!
patriot.gif

You should be thankful for Toyota/Honda. They originally aspired to be as good as American vehicles. They were subpar than equalled than quickly acceled past. Now the gap is narrowing again. However if the Asian manufacturer's did not exist you would not see American manufacturer's aspiring to modern designs, higher quality builds, and higher quality materials and standards.

You know that this is true when GM mentions that the Accord/Camry were its benchmark for producing the new Malibu. Competition is great.

The relatively short BITOG edit time has already elapsed. Accordingly, when reading my previous post, please understand that both of the IIHS links should include the word "test" after the word "crash". My apologies for any lack of clarity.

quote:

Tacoma is a Toyota and Toyota=Japanese. It may be built here and some parts made here but it is still heavly Japanese influenced. It is a good truck and most last as long as any. I Worked at a Chevy dealer in the past and I saw dozzens of S10's with over 200,000 miles on them so they last as long as any out there. My neighbor has a 1986 Dodge Ram 5.9 (360) with 286,000 miles all original. We can argue this till we are blue in the face but I have better things to do. Keep driving your Yotas and I'll keep driving my Chevys and I'll see ya in a few hundred thousand miles.
wink.gif
patriot.gif

Ahhhh, this is just getting fun.
wink.gif
Yep, I'll see the Chevy truck guy in a couple hundred thousand miles, unless he has a bad accident first. Yet another dimension of build quality and durability to think about.
Trailblazer Crash Results
freak2.gif

4-Runner Crash Results
smile.gif

cheers.gif

This Dodge recall sure doesn't help the arguement that the US brands are improving. They actually are though but Dodge still has further to go.

I am loving my Tacoma!! The 4-Runner is approaching 100,000 miles and 10 years old and my only issue to repair was a leaky valve cover gasket.

My buddy had to dump his new Malibu at 50,000 miles. The transmission was failing. I told him my 4-Runner has 100,000 hard miles and is 10 years old. His jaw dropped! Then again he witnessed the last 11 years of the 18 on my last Toyota truck so he shouldn't be to surprised.

You all need to wake up and smell the coffee!

Who cares about brand! Buy what you like!

Want a small mid-engine sportscar that is very agile for $25,000? Toyota MR2-S

Want a Powerful Sports/GT Car that can run 186 mph and 0-100 mph in under 10 seconds for $45,000? C6 Corvette

Best Sports Car under $30,000? Nissan 350Z

Best Sports Sedan under $30,000? Misubishi Evo RS

Best Sports Coupe under $30,000? 2005 Mustang GT

Best $35,000 Sedan? Chrysler 300C

By the car not the brand name!

Full Size Truck? Drive the Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Nissan, Toyota? Make upo your own mind.

When I was in the market for a Compact car I tried the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Mazda 3.

In the end I found in the Low end models the Ford Focus was the most fun to drive. The others were to sterile and not tossable enough. So I bought a new Focus ZX3 for $11K.

If you want a Transportation Appliance I suggest a used 2003 Hyundai Elantra. $4000-6000 and will last you a long time.

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
In the end I found in the Low end models the Ford Focus was the most fun to drive. The others were to sterile and not tossable enough. So I bought a new Focus ZX3 for $11K.
Gene

I strongly considered the ZX3. Really liked it's style and the utility of a hatchback, but it's recall record scared me away.

quote:

Originally posted by 05corollaLE:
but it's recall record scared me away.

I view recalls as what they are--the manufacturer making a problem right.

For that reason, recalls don't scare me. What scares me are problems that never get recalls issued for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back