Toyota 4.7L 2UZ-FE engine oil thread

Whoever owns a 2uzfe post what oil your running. I run Quaker state 5w30 but might switch to Quaker state 5w40 euro. Let’s see how long we can make this thread, whoever owns this amazing engine make some comments!

I have experience with its basis - the 4.0L 1UZ-FE and its sportier sister, the 4.3L 3UZ-FE. They are one of Toyota’s best engines, and they aren’t picky about oil. Any good 5W-30/10W-30 changed regularly is fine for these. I took one to 300K with nothing more than 5W-30, mostly PP/M1 and Chevron Supreme.

My go-to's are QS 5w-30, 5w-40 Euro, and M1 0w-40. So literally whatever jug(s) I have on hand when its due, is what it gets. I dont know which one I used last time, that was more than a year or two ago, probably M1 if I had to guess. It only gets driven about 1,000 miles a year, in snow or if I have to haul a few 2x4's from Home Depot or whatever and other than checking for mice and making sure the battery has water in it and keeping the battery tender plugged in, I dont pay much attention to it. I get in, it starts and runs like the day we got it two decades ago...... 2001 Sequoia, waaaay past due for an oil change.

My recollection from UOAs years ago on those engines was they were extremely easy on oil and pretty much agnostic as to weight. Pick the 30weight of your preference, change at reasonable intervals, and don’t worry. If it were mine, I agree with swampdodo, Mobil 1 , Toyota filter, and I would do 7,500 mile intervals or one year.

First one I saw in person was the other day. He was broken down in the McDonald's parking lot. I stopped to ask if he needed a boost. I attempted but it didn't even click. Then I found out it shut off out on the road and someone towed him off to the parking lot.

Some kind of bad ground issue or something I guess. Only thing I knew about it was it was a 2007 Tundra with a 4.7. I really wish I could have helped him. A snowstorm was coming in as I left him there.

I've since sold my 07 V8 4runner, but from 100k to 150k miles it ran on OEM filters and PUP 5w30 every 6k to 8k miles. Easy on oil. I think there was even a guy on here that ran an OCI out to 19k miles or something with good results.

03 4runner 2UZFE non VVTI. M1 5w30 High Mileage since I purchased it at 140k miles in 2012. M1 209 oil filter. Currently at 271k miles. Oil changes approx every 7500 miles, now just once a year since my commute is much shorter and I now have a weekend toy. The oil did do some cleaning when i first started using it. Been thinking of switching to 10w30 now that I live n the AZ desert and the coldest temps are in the 20's.

Whoever owns a 2uzfe post what oil your running. I run Quaker state 5w30 but might switch to Quaker state 5w40 euro. Let’s see how long we can make this thread, whoever owns this amazing engine make some comments!
Considering that their gas consumption is equally, or more, amazing, I would stick with lighter stuff bcs. it will be fine.

2006 GX470 (2UZFE)
Quaker State 5w30 Full Synthetic
7,500 mile OCI

2007 Town Car (4.6 2V)
7,500 mile OCI

2023 4Runner (1GRFE)
YOU GUESSED IT!!!

Sometimes if catch the Ultimate Durability on sale I’ll grab a couple of the 5qt. bottles.

Texas climate year round.

Back