Towing w/ 4-Cylinder Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bcs. price of gas and diesel.
Pay $9-11 for gallon, and you would have different story.

You missed the point completely. It's Ecoboost gasser vs NA 7.3 gasser. Both gas engines. The 3.5 ecoboost puts out enough hp/torque to "compete" with the 7.3 big block gasser, and it was on the shelf ready to go.

But Ford didn't put it in their super duty, they did a complete ground up new big block gas engine, cost millions, and the reason is because the small turbo gassers cannot withstand the duty cycle of a big block NA v8 gasser.

And what is the reason that the Ford Super Duty, with the highest towing capacity, and greatest torque, has a turbo?
Because without a turbo, the engine would have no applicable power. Slower than a turtle, like they were back in the 80s and early 90s. And big blocks would reign in the towing world.

The average European hwy is always faster than the average US hwy. I say HWY, as inetrstate is not on par with European style hwy which are denser and far better built. It allows much higher speeds, regardless of speed limit, and 95% of HWY's speed limit is 80mp/h, with very generous margin.
The problem in this discussion is that US market, bcs. of extremely cheap fuel, is behind rest of the world when it comes do downsizing some 30yrs, if not more. This is a discussion that Europeans had in the mid-80s.
Sure, but you fail to mention that European highways such as the Autobahn, have a strict grade limits........4% if I remember right, a major factor in towing, probably the most important. Here in the US, we have no real grade limits. In NC, you can see 12% for 8 miles.........I am sure in CO you see similar or greater.

I do think that the OP is well within the limits of the vehicle, in case you missed that.

Also, here in the states we do stuff, hard and fast and violent. The American way, we drive 500 hp trucks towing 18000 lb RV, because we can. Euro highways are irrelevant to this discussion, and trust that if they could have a 500HP monster truck in Europe with the same ease, they would.

1712848983342.jpg

Sure, but you fail to mention that European highways such as the Autobahn, have a strict grade limits........4% if I remember right, a major factor in towing, probably the most important. Here in the US, we have no real grade limits. In NC, you can see 12% for 8 miles.........I am sure in CO you see similar or greater.

I do think that the OP is well within the limits of the vehicle, in case you missed that.

Also, here in the states we do stuff, hard and fast and violent. The American way, we drive 500 hp trucks towing 18000 lb RV, because we can. Euro highways are irrelevant to this discussion, and trust that if they could have a 500HP monster truck in Europe with the same ease, they would.

View attachment 213587
Hmmmm, yes, because other people don't know how to drive fast, hard etc. The rest of the world tows and hauls 3X more than what is in vehicle manual as MAX towing capacity on turbo engines and occasionally shoots GS-23 guns from it, but sure, North Carolina "mountains."

Turbo will deliver better mpg and lower emissions.

No it doesn't. Ask anybody who tows with an ecoboost, it sucks back fuel worse than a drunken sailor.

I get the feeling you haven't towed anything substantial in your life. Am I right?

No it doesn't. Ask anybody who tows with an ecoboost, it sucks back fuel worse than a drunken sailor.

I get the feeling you haven't towed anything substantial in your life. Am I right?
Well, Ford.
I get a feeling you don't have DL.
Same as long drain intervals. A lot of this is news for you.

Until you cook the oil seals and leave a mile long smoke trail behind you
Talking from experience? I had more than 20 turbo cars, some with more than 300k still being able to hit 145mph on EUropean roads, and never "cooked" oil seals.
Tell me, which of your cars had that problem?

Talking from experience? I had more than 20 turbo cars, some with more than 300k still being able to hit 145mph on EUropean roads, and never "cooked" oil seals.
Tell me, which of your cars had that problem?
None bcs I keep the egts down

I've replaced the turbo on a tuned mazda 3, 2 1.9 TDIs, and my friends Ecoboost got new turbos from a different shop.

And my uncle cooked his while towing

None bcs I keep the egts down

I've replaced the turbo on a tuned mazda 3, 2 1.9 TDIs, and my friends Ecoboost got new turbos from a different shop.

And my uncle cooked his while towing
OK, do you think that happens more often than rods flying out of Hyundai's blocks etc, etc. that plague numerous NA engines?
There are plenty of turbo VW's at High Plains Raceway that run every week at 5,000ft altitude, running oil at temperatures that no towing vehicle will every see, and yet, they are fine. But then, they are also well maintained.

Heat is a problem if you don't address cooling appropriately in ANY engine. Come here and drive to Pikes Peak, and I can guarantee you you will see several cars overheated, whether it is summer or winter, turbo or NA V8.

I see I was right about DL.

If you want to play games you're going to have to do it by yourself.

My question about your towing experience was for you to admit that you probably aren't as qualified to talk about this as you think you are.

Folks - let’s take a break.

We have left the original topic - can I tow a small, light trailer with a 4 cylinder turbo - and wandered into what is need to tow 18,000# and crossed into bickering.

I am certain that the OP has enough posts from which to get an answer, even if many of the posts are way off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back