Toro mower, Tecumseh engine and leaking gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Toro 20071 self-propelled mower purchased in 2007 which has served me very well for 5 years. The mower has a Tecumseh engine. As you may know, Tecumseh is out of business and replacement parts are very hard to come by.

During one of our hottest days this summer, the remaining fuel in the gas tank expanded so much that the plastic gas tank cracked. I can take and post pictures if this will help. The crack runs horizontally along a seam between the upper and lower halves of the gas tank. Now when I fill the gas tank with more than 1-2 cups of gas, it leaks out all over the mower's deck.

I am not sure exactly what kind of plastic the tank is made out of -- i.e. PVC, etc. I have tried using both hot glue and Loctite's vinyl/plastic adhesive to seal this crack but the gasoline has eaten away at this both times.

Any idea what compound/adhesive I can use to seal this tank that will not be eaten away by gasoline?

Thanks for any advice and insight.

Certified Parts Corporation out of Racine Wisconsin bought the Tecumseh inventory.

Originally Posted By: 05GMC
there are a few of them on ebay right now , from $8.50 on up , the tank part number is 37947

That's the route I would try first.

I remember battling a leaky tank on an older Briggs Quantum equipped Toro recycler years ago. The seam kept opening up no matter what I slathered it with.

Got a replacement tank at a Toro dealership reasonably. This was before "online".

Joel

You can buy a gas tank repair kit at an auto parts store. It's a putty-like stuff you can spread over the crack. It's obviously made to contact fuel, so it won't get eaten away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back