Top selling vehicles in US 2022

Top 25 US.
Let's just say the news of Tesla's demise might be a little exaggerated...

I always wondered why the Silverado and Sierra are not counted together. Same thing, right?
Yeah basically, potentially more upscale items on the GMC trucks. But now a days, with High Country Silverado trims, it isn't a mark of "more luxury" just differencing tastes in your luxury preference.

Between Silverado and Sierra, 754,876 units. Plenty more than F-150. Whenever I hear the "F-150 is the best selling truck....." I'm thinking out-loud "Yeah not more than GM combined".

Very interesting. Consumers still love their pickup trucks. I was surprised the Honda Civic didn't fare better.
2 things...
A ton of pickups are sold for work and after 3 to 5 years are fully depreciated. Businesses need and buy pickups.
Honda, like all car manufacturers, got killed by the supply chain problems. I think almost every company had a decline YOY.

Between Silverado and Sierra, 754,876 units. Plenty more than F-150. Whenever I hear the "F-150 is the best selling truck....." I'm thinking out-loud "Yeah not more than GM combined".
Most years it is more combined. For example in 2019 - F150 was 900K, Sierra + Silverado was 800K. Although there have been past years where combined did beat the F150 - most often they don't. https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2019-us-vehicle-sales-figures-by-model/

Not a big fan of either.

Kinda surprised they sold 237K Tacoma's in '22. They were always on order and several month wait times. No dealer around me kept anything worthwhile, just some blan SR models...

It's inteteresting how many vehicles that have poor reliability, performance or comfort ratings are on the list. I guess a lot of buyers never read Consumer Reports or websites like BITOG. Maybe they are just brand loyal or buy just based upon some intangible perception.

Also interesting is that some models are probably there due to their relative low purchase costs and economical operating costs while others that sell for well over $60k sold nearly as many.

I also wonder if the Tesla Model Y would have outsold the Camry (again) had buyers not have been postponing their purchase for the tax incentives of 2023 ?

It's inteteresting how many vehicles that have poor reliability, performance or comfort ratings are on the list. I guess a lot of buyers never read Consumer Reports or websites like BITOG. Maybe they are just brand loyal or buy just based upon some intangible perception.

Also interesting is that some models are probably there due to their relative low purchase costs and economical operating costs while others that sell for well over $60k sold nearly as many.

I also wonder if the Tesla Model Y would have outsold the Camry (again) had buyers not have been postponing their purchase for the tax incentives of 2023 ?
Tesla is moving towards a more linear production rate to better manage the logistics of delivering cars to buyers. At the end of a quarter, you see truck after truck full of cars. Expensive and inefficient.
With all the factory ramping occuring, this becomes the critical path bottleneck.

Yeah basically, potentially more upscale items on the GMC trucks. But now a days, with High Country Silverado trims, it isn't a mark of "more luxury" just differencing tastes in your luxury preference.

They literally build the Silverado and the Sierra on the same line at the same time.

Agree, but some companies are just impacted more than others.
Toyota could sell Sienna and HL Hybrid like hotcakes, but actually, they made less of them this year.
Of course. IMO, Toyota makes the best hybrids. I imagine they could cut their hybrid prices and kill their competition if they could just make enough.

I think you'll see this number improve in 2023 with the re-design.
Actually the re-design began in 2022 and Honda had some chip problems etc. which slowed down production numbers. The main difference is Honda quit the LX model and now you can start out with the Sport which is the lowest priced Civic. The 2022 and 2023 models look the same with the elimination of the LX which had smaller steel wheels, hubcaps, no mini rear spoiler and other little features.

Of course. IMO, Toyota makes the best hybrids. I imagine they could cut their hybrid prices and kill their competition if they could just make enough.
I totally agree Toyota has the best hybrids. I would really like to have the new 2023 Prius which has about 200 hp which is a huge improvement from the 2022 models. The new Prius body style is amazing well proportioned compared with previous models. I think they are rated at 57 mpg in the front wheel drive model.

I totally agree Toyota has the best hybrids. I would really like to have the new 2023 Prius which has about 200 hp which is a huge improvement from the 2022 models. The new Prius body style is amazing well proportioned compared with previous models. I think they are rated at 57 mpg in the front wheel drive model.
They will sell a bazillion of 'em. There's a reason for it. I would love to see one. Wonder how they will price it?

I'm shocked to not only see the Subaru Crosstrek and Outback on the list but also to see them ahead of other very common and popular vehicle models. Subaru has had a great struggle in getting vehicles to market over the past two years due to the vehicle component shortage but they have absolutely no problem whatsoever selling every single thing they produce in short order. The Forester has been such a stalwart in sales for them that I am shocked that it has been surpassed by not only the Outback but the Crosstrek in particular, which is now the highest selling Subaru model.

Back