Top 3 Dino oils?????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sambojoho
Motorcraft 5W20 (technically a syn blend, but priced at dino), Pennzoil yellow, and Havoline. Those are my choices.

But in reality, it is whatever SM and API certified oil is on sale!

I prefer Mobil's dino which at the moment is Mobil DriveClean 5000 especially for Hondas and Toyotas since their FF is made by Mobil but I couldn't disagree with the above choices especially the high moly Havoline and the legendary yellow bottle Pennzoil which I think is better then their Platinum. Ofcourse, I am using MC so I gotta put that #1 especially since the price equals some dino oil prices but it's a semi-synthetic!

Last edited:
I have always ran Valvoline. Slightly brand biased to Ashland as I have never had an oil related failure(who has?).

Next choice would be Pennzoil. I have seen some excellent UOA's from the yellow bottle.

I have no problem running any of the Conoco products either.

My current favorite is the brand that is on sale! Any name brand that meets the specs I need.

The specs are so tight that any oil that consistently meets spec will be just about equal to all the others. The cheapo oils like SuperTech and many of the name brands sold in bulk to oil change places is probably cheaply made to hold spec for fewer miles, or maybe isn't consistently blended.

Yes, Schaeffer and a few of the other specialty brands are the best, but at a (IMO fair) extra price. They use better (costlier) ingredients. I buy Schaeffer for the family fleet.

My guess about ConocoPhillips syn blend oils at conventional oil prices is that they're blending cheap conventional low quality base oil plus cheap Asian low quality Group III to meet GF-4 spec but nothing special. How else can they produce oil at that price point?

So, I'd pick any name brand oil. I'd pick packaged oil over bulk. When ILSAC GF-4 was put into service, ExxonMobil announced that their bulk oils were lower quality than the lowest cost bottled oil...met spec but stayed in spec for fewer miles. I'd expect all the usual brands to play the same cost/quality game.

Well said Ken2.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
I had forgotten about Schaeffer's offering (Moly Bond) - Schaeffer's skills with Moly could/would/might separate it from the pack (slightly).
ditto,,, Though it should be considered a long life oil.

Originally Posted By: parimento1
I like shell b/c of its bargain basement price and good performance. I get it at Costco for 21.99 12 Qt. With a cheap purolator filter, its good enough for my car

I have used a lot of Formula Shell 5w-30 over the past year. Seems for awhile it was on a permanent .49 cent rebate price over at Shucks/Checker/Kragen. You cannot beat Formula Shell at .49 per quart. I'll continue to buy this stuff up all day long for that price. I have no UOA's to go by with this stuff, but it has done well in two beaters that I own.

I was always a loyal Pennzoil YB user and Mobil 1 user. Things have changed since joining BITOG, I now use PP along with Mobil 1 and have bought Havoline and Exxon oil when on sale. I now think if the oil is priced on sale and SM rated you're pretty safe using it. Oh yea, BITOG got me into extending the OCI's a little, and to stop using Fram Filters on the beaters!

Frank D

My picks based on cold performance and good all 'rounders would be
havoline, valvoline, pennzoil. We can only get the mobil super 1000 up here, but if I could get mobil clean 5000, that would be in my top few. Castrol gtx is great, but I cant find any cold pour specs, and it seems pretty heavy at -30 compared to the others.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John K
I am impressed with the UOA of Pennzoil, Mobil, and Havoline. I was always bothered by the black stuff left in the bottle when I used Castrol years ago, and by CR first test on oils which singled out Kendall for failing pour point specs, and variable QC in general. Suggested reading:
http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Corvair_oil.pdf

Honestly, it probably just me, but that is the best thing on oil i have ever read....thanks

By the way, on that article, on Page 21 Point 34...Forget Aftermarket additives...is this a stab at the Auto-Rx maintenance cycle ??? Like he recommends the initial treatment throughout the document, but here says a maintenance dose of 1-2 ounces etc. 'displacing anti-wear additives on the surface area'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back